[comp.os.vms] Please ignore extra headers

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (04/25/87)

From:	CITHEX::ST%"Mailer" 25-APR-1987 02:57
To:	CARL
Subj:	Undeliverable Mail

Date:     Sat, 25 Apr 87 02:57:44 PDT
From:     Mailer@CitHex.Caltech.Edu
Subject:  Undeliverable Mail
To:       <carl>
Comment:  reason for return --
Comment:   Invalid address[es]
Comment:  the affected addresses follow ...
Comment:  infovax

Start of returned message

  Date:     Sat, 25 Apr 87 02:54:09 PDT
  From:     carl (Carl J Lydick) @ CitHex.Caltech.Edu
  Subject:  Re: Reading .EXE version information
  To:       nagy%43198.hepnet @ lbl.arpa, infovax @ CitHex.Caltech.Edu

   > I recently saw an article on reading version information from the .EXE
   > file.  I have since lost the reference or message (I assume I saw it
   > on Info_VAX).  If I did see it on Info_VAX, could someone please send
   > me a copy of the message/source code or a reference to where I might
   > have seen it.

  I don't recall having seen this in infovax, and can't help you if you want
  to get the information lots of times from lots of files.  However, you can
  easily write a DCL script to do it if execution time isn't critical.  The
  strategy is to use the "ANALYZE/IMAGE/OUTPUT=filename" command to generate
  a file which has the version number in an easily findable place, then the
  SEARCH command to select the record with the information.  An OPEN, a READ,
  a CLOSE, a string assignment using F$EDIT and F$ELEMENT, and a DELETE command
  then get you the version number and delete the scratch files.

End of returned message