[comp.os.vms] Type-ahead.

STEWART_SYS@uta.EDU (Dan Stewart) (04/20/87)

Is there a way to enable type-ahead during the login process?  I would like
to be able to type away while the system chuggs through sylogin and my own
login.com, rather than waiting until the "$" prompt.  Seems like I could do
it on the last machine I worked on (which was VMS V3.7).  Any suggestions?

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (04/21/87)

Check to see if your login.com or the system-wide login.com is executing
the command:
	$ SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE
This is the only thing that should have a chance of interfering with
typeahead during login (other than a user-written program, of course).

JOHN@UKANVAX.BITNET (04/21/87)

Dan,

Normally you can type ahead ALL the time during logging (even at Username: and
Password: prompts).  However, SET TERMINAl/INQUIRE flushes the typeahead
buffer when it is executed because it sends a "who are you?" sequence to
the terminal and must read the response.  If anything was in the typeahead
queue, it would be read as a response.  That would REALLY madden it.

My LOGIN.COM uses this, but as soon as it is executed, I echo the terminal
type that the VAX thinks I am on (like "Terminal type set to VT52").  That's
when I can start typing ahead.

                                   John

 /             |                             |                       \
 | K  K U    U | John A. Thywissen           |  CCCC         6666   44\
 | K K  U    U | University of Kansas        | C    C  ===  6      4 4 \
 | KK   U    U | J. R. Pearson Hall, Rm. 213 | C            6666  44444|
 | K K  U    U | 1122 West Campus Road       | C    C  ===  6   6    4 |
 | K  K  UUUU  | Lawrence, KS  66045-8081    |  CCCC         666     4 |
 |-------------+-------------------+---------+-------------------------|
 | BITNET:     JOHN@UKANVAX.BITNET | "A happy [most of the time] C=64  |
 | Internet:   JOHN@KUHUB.UKAN.EDU | owner"  (but I wouln't mind an    |
 | KU DECnet:  KUHUB::JOHN         | AMIGA!!)                          |
 | Ma Bell Net:  +1 913 864 2646   |                                   |
 \_________________________________|___________________________________/

UOWRAK@UOFMCC.BITNET (Roger Kingsley) (04/28/87)

An additional note concerning type-ahead buffer flushing
around login time:

Many respondents have noted correctly that the problem is
caused by executing $ SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE, but the
command files as the place to look.

Sites experiencing this problem should also note that
$ SET HOST <anywhere>
will cause an implicit "who are you" inquiry from the
new host to the terminal, before any login command
files are invoked, and the same result is noticed.
(I caught this when the inquiry reset my VT241 from
amber to green!)

Roger Kingsley

E-mail:  UOWRAK@UOFMCC.BITNET
Tele:    204/786-9449