[comp.os.vms] INFO-VAX, INFO-KIDS, etc.

DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET (Denis W. Haskin, Manager, Technical Services) (04/29/87)

> From:         Kang Sun <SUN@YALEVAX5.BITNET>
> Subject:      Re: INFO-VAX, VAX-KIDS, NET-KIDS ?
>
>         I think some people don't like the info-vax on ARPA because they
> cannot contribute; the bitnet sub-distributor don't accept contributions. I
> have been asked for forwarding messages to info-vax by several users who
> have no access to ARPAnet; for example, some VAXs that run JNET.
>
> [... includes a command procedure ...]

That's not an excuse for VMS sites!  If you are a VMS/jNet site on Bitnet and
want to reach the outside world (non-Bitnet, that is), I strongly urge you to
contact Ed Miller (GMAIL@SLACTWGM.BITNET) and get a copy of GMAIL, which is a
DCL utility that cooperates (okay, to some extent) with VMS Mail and jNet to
give you relatively simple gateway access through an interface that looks a
*lot* like vanilla VMS Mail.  GMAIL is pretty nifty and rather invaluable (at
least until jNet supports complex addressing and gateways... hello, Joiner?);
it can be slow, but then again it *is* just one big command procedure.

I would send you a copy myself but I read some stuff in the distribution kit
about the U.S. Government (huh?) and Leland Stanford Junior U. retaining all
rights to it... or am I misinterpreting?  Ed, are you out there?

% Denis W. Haskin                             Manager, Technical Services %
% DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET   Office of Information Systems     (617)793-7193 %
% Clark University               950 Main Street      Worcester MA  01610 %
% "Anyone who _moves_ before Most Holy comes back out will spend the rest %
%  of eternity sipping lava through an iron straw."        - Cerebus      %