[comp.os.vms] vi written in TPU

mpr@nancy.UUCP (04/21/87)

Does anyone know of a version of vi written in TPU?  If so, is it available
   thru DECUS?  Over the net?
                                   -Mike Russell

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (04/29/87)

>Does anyone know of a version of vi written in TPU?  If so, is it available
>   thru DECUS?  Over the net?

My GOD! Why would you want to DO such a thing :-) ?!? It's like running CP/M
on a Macintosh (I use both).

Seriously, I've worked with a variety of editors, and that insert/command mode
toggle in vi nearly drove me nuts. Sure, it's got some powerful line-mode
commands... so do several others.

I'd love to hear from somebody with EXTENSIVE experience using vi, emacs, teco,
and maybe some crufty I*M editor. Too many people criticize things from a
position of ignorance, and I must admit I only used vi for a month or so. Do
you really get used to working in that split-brain mode?
/kenw

CHRIS@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM.UUCP (04/29/87)

    :
>/kenw

     You know, I thought the same thing when I saw the original posting,
but I also know that editors, operating systems, et al. are like religions.
Everybody has their own favorite that they are used to.  To them, that
entity is familiar, they know how to work with it, and to accept anything
different would just be too much to deal with.  My motto is "never make fun
of another person's editor".

     I know somebody who hacked VI into Unipres Emacs so that they would
have a "decent" editor on VMS, and somebody who hacked VTEDIT into TPU
(starting with the EVE source) only a year or two after having hacked it
into Unipres Emacs so that they could use that old friend.  In case you're
wondering, VTEDIT's base ancestor was TECO, I understand that it was a full
screen version of said editor.

     Me, I'm an old EDT hacker, but I also love having more than one window
on the screen at once (4 or 5 if the )(&(*%&^$ screen is big enough!) so I
started with EVE V 1.000 and combined in the VTEDIT TPU source mentioned
above, Kevin Oberman's preliminary EDT keypad definitions for EVE and the
rectangular cut and paste routines from the EDTPLUS (EDTSECINI.TPU based)
routines by Portia Shao and friends.  'Course, I also figured out EVE's
nifty HELP routines and modified them slightly so that they would use a
help library other than the TPU help library and wrote help for all of it.
Some of the important features include:

1) n (where n = (screen-length-2)/2) window capability,
2) full EDT keypad *feature* compatability (no functionality on the keypad
    lost, but some slight changes to the REPEAT, REPLACE, and
    SPECIAL_INSERT commands),
3) full EVE command compatability,
4) a host of routines like rectangular cut and paste,
5) routines that sort and spell a selected region or buffer (providing that
    from a subprocess you can issue the command SORT or SPELL <filename>
    and expect the output to go to a file of the same name, but one version
    higher).
6) Padding and trimming routines (actually, this was just a case of
    liberating these from EVE so that the user could get at them).

     At any rate, it's on (or at least it should be on...) the Spring 87
DECUS VMS SIG tape.  Those SIG tapes have more interesting PD software on
them than any one person could hope to ever find use for that I wouldn't
know what to do without them!  Contact your Local Users Group for
information on how to obtain the SIG tape, but since DECUS is *this* week
(I didn't get to go, sniffle) don't expect to see the Spring 87 tape for a
couple of months.

                                -- Chris

robert@arizona.UUCP (04/29/87)

In article <55*kenw@noah.arc.cdn>, kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) writes:
> >Does anyone know of a version of vi written in TPU?  If so, is it available
>
> My GOD! Why would you want to DO such a thing :-) ?!? It's like running CP/M
>
> I'd love to hear from somebody with EXTENSIVE experience using vi, emacs, teco
>   Too many people criticize things from a
>   position of ignorance, and I must admit I only used vi for a month or so.
>   Do you really get used to working in that split-brain mode?

The statement that vi is split mode while Emacs and EDT are single mode is
not quite accurate.  They are both split mode.  (Just hold on.)

First, though, when you are editing with a pencil and eraser, you are in
two modes: one is scanning through the material, the other is applying the
pencil.  You would not want the pencil touching the paper while reading
the words.

The same in vi.  I spend a portion of my time reading and "flipping the
pages" and positioning my "pencil and eraser" to where I need to make
changes.

The same in Emacs.  But to prevent the "pencil" from marking all over my
text, I need to CONTINUOUSLY inform the editor about my intentions by
holding down the control key.  (I used to have to use Emacs on a VT 240
and the control key is so far away my left pinky ached all the time.
I didn't find it so funny.)

In vi you touch <ESC> key once and then get on with moving around and
all the other neat things.  In Emacs I find myself having to
concentrate more on the editing task to keep from inserting new text
unintentionally.  This detracts from the real task at hand.

Emacs does have a lot of features I like, so I do jump over and use
Emacs to do those.

W.r.t. EDT, the command mode is done by having to reach away from the
natural hand position on the keyboard and hit the "8" key to page
down, the "5" key to page up (those are not mnemonic).  The two modes
are keyboard to insert, the keypad to command.

And I think we could go on about every editor to define at least these
two modes.
--
Robert J. Drabek
Department of Computer Science

ESCFLASS@UBVM.BITNET ("Mr. Peter Flass") (04/29/87)

>>Does anyone know of a version of vi written in TPU?  If so, is it available
>>   thru DECUS?  Over the net?

  I am new to this list and missed the original correspondence on this
topic, but while we are at it does anyone know of a "clone" of IBM's
SPF (or ISPF) written in TPU?  I won't get into a discussion of the
relative merits of editors (it's like discussing the relative merits
of wives), but for people who use both IBM systems and VAXen having
a common editor would simplify life immensely!
       Peter Flass                (518)587-2100
       Empire State College
       2 Union Ave
       Saratoga Springs, NY  12866

george@vax1.UUCP (04/30/87)

Please, no more editor wars. Lets stop it now before it gets started again.

(But I would like to just add that (gnu) emacs has a vi mode for those
that prefer that editor but occasionally want the "power" of emacs. :-)