Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 15:35:12 PDT
From: tencati@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: re: digest format

Yuck!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 15:45:47 PDT
From: SERAFINI%RAL@ames-io.ARPA
Subject: backup devices

One advantage for the MegaTape drives (I don't know about the other high
capacity cartidge drives) is that is does CRC in the drive, so much less
CPU time is necessary to run BACKUP.  So if you're just doing backups, the
fact that it takes a little longer because the drive is slow doesn't impact
your system performance as much.  Also, the machines are cheap, and you could
get several for the cost of a TU78.

<dbs>

David Serafini
Sterling Software at NASA/Ames Research Center
serafini%ral@ames-io.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Fri 1 May 87 16:16:24-PDT
From: Desiree Champagne <DESIREE@KL.SRI.COM>
Subject: MultiNet Plus

                               MULTINET PLUS

     MultiNet Plus is an integrated, self-contained system of network
protocols and electronic mail services for VAX computers under VMS
version 4.4 or greater.  MultiNet Plus consists of three components:
MultiNet, Pony Express, and MM.

                                 MULTI-NET

    Multi-Net is a high performance implementation of several network
protocols: TCP/IP and UDP/IP (ARPAnet protocols), ChaosNet (for Symbolics,
LMI, and Texas Instruments Lisp machines), and PUP (for Xerox Lisp
machines).  All of the common services are provided for each protocol,
e.g., remote terminal service (TCP/Telnet, PUP/Chat, Chaos/Telnet) and
file transfer (TCP/FTP, PUP/Leaf, Chaos/QFile).  Various other
protocol-specific services are also provided.   Multi-Net supports a
wide variety of hardware network interfaces, and can share
DEUNA/DEQUA/DELUA devices with DECnet.

                               PONY EXPRESS

     Pony Express is an electronic mail delivery system for VAX/VMS.
Just as Multi-Net includes a number of network protocols, Pony Express
services a number of mail protocols.  It can act as a mail gateway,
relaying messages between hosts which use different mail protocols.  The
following protocols are supported:

     o  SMTP - MultiNet and Wollongong TCP/IP are supported.
     o  DECnet
     o  UUCP
     o  Cafard
     o  CSNet
     o  BitNet - Implementation is under way.
     o  Local delivery - Messages can be sent with the VMS MAIL program
        (using the Foreign Protocol Interface) and the MM-32 program.
        Messages can be delivered to users of MM-32 and the VMS MAIL
        program, and to an arbitrary text file, and a bulletin board file.

    Pony Express has a number of other features including: store-and-forward
(queued) delivery service for all networks; a protected database in which
users may define mailing lists, mail aliases, and mail forwarding; a
special language for specifying mail header re-writing; and a comprehensive
set of statistics are gathered on message throughput.

                                   MM-32

    MM is a very flexible and sophisticated program for reading, composing,
and manipulating electronic mail.  MM-32 is a portable implementation of
the MM program originally written for the Tops-20 operating system
(MM-20).  MM-32 runs under the VAX/VMS and Unix (4.2bsd, Ultrix, SUN,
Pyramid) operating systems.  MM-32 contains virtually all of the
functionality of MM-20, and in particular, retains the same user interface
as MM-20 (e.g., command and filename completion, immediate help when "?"
is typed).

    MM-32 can be used to manipulate multiple files of messages in a number
of ways.  Messages can be examined, marked for delete, expunged from a file,
flagged for future attention, or have keywords attached to them. Messages
in a mail file can be moved to a different mail file, written to a text
files, or sent to a printer.  Users can select messages which: have
specified numbers; contain specified text; were sent to or by a given
user; were sent on, before, or after a specified date; contain specified
text in their subject field only; or have a specified attribute (e.g.,
marked for delete, or flagged, or unread).

    MM-32 message files can also be used as electronic bulletin boards.
BBoards can be read with MM-32 or with another supplied program with the
same user interface as the Tops-20 BBoard program. Both programs remember
the last message each user has seen in each bulletin board.

                         INFORMATION ON MULTINET PLUS

     MultiNet Plus, or the individual components, are available under
license from SRI International.  Pricing and further information may be
obtained by contacting Desiree' Champagne at (415) 859-6083 or
Desiree@KL.SRI.COM.  Since the pricing structure is very complex, when
inquiring please provide:  number of machines and type (i.e., VAX or
MicroVAX, etc); and your affiliation (University, Government, etc).

   MultiNet Plus, Multi-Net, and MM-32 are trademarks of SRI International.
   Pony Express is a trademark of Peter D. Karp and Teknowledge, Inc.
   VAX, VMS, and DECnet are trademarks of Digital Equipment Corporation
   Symbolics and ChaosNet are trademarks of Symbolics, Inc.
   Xerox and PUP are trademarks of Xerox Corporation.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 87 16:03:00 GMT
From: voder!blia!ted@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Ted Marshall)
Subject: Re: Preparation for VMS 5.0

In article <34874385.8be4@apollo.uucp>, jps@apollo.uucp (Jeffrey P. Snover) writes:
> I have heard rumors that VMS 5.0 is so
> dramatically different from VMS 4.X that
> DEC has set a group of people to help prepare
> 3rd party software houses.
>
> If this is true I would like to talk to these
> folks.  Can anyone turn me on to the correct
> people?

If this is true, I would like this information also. As a maintainer of
several VMS drivers (and ACPs), I expect to be very busy when 5.0 comes out.

Thanks.

--
Ted Marshall       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted <or> mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
Britton Lee, Inc., 14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030     (408)378-7000

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 87 14:57:32 GMT
From: tedcrane@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (Ted Crane)
Subject: Re: Ban: "Submission for mod-computers-vax" etc.

In addition to the obnoxious "Submission for..." subject headings,
someone out there in netland is rebroadcasting messages so we see
the same things twice, three, and more times.

Cut it out, please!

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 87 14:55:39 GMT
From: tedcrane@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (Ted Crane)
Subject: Re: How do you ring bell in DCL file?

In article <154@siemens.UUCP> jrv@siemens.UUCP (James R Vallino) writes:
>I would like to have the terminal bell rung from within a DCL command
>file.

There are two ways to go about this, and which is cleaner is up to you:

        $ BELL = "^G"   !Enter the <BEL> (^G) character using SPECINS
                        !in EDT (<GOLD>7<GOLD><KP3>) or similar method
                        !in any other editor.  This does cause you grief
                        !when you type the command file, but it's easy.

        $ BELL = " "    !This defines BELL as a character symbol.
        $ BELL[0,8] = 7 !This replaces the first eight bits of the symbol
                        !with the value seven.  Now BELL contains an ASCII bell.

The same techniques can be used to create local (or global) symbols containing
the <ESC> or <CSI> characters, and those can be used to build ANSI escape
sequences.

-ted
 tedcrane@squid.tn.cornell.edu

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 87 17:03:13 GMT
From: voder!blia!blic!garvey@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Robert Garvey)

In article <154@siemens.UUCP>, jrv@siemens.UUCP (James R Vallino) writes:
> I would like to have the terminal bell rung from within a DCL command
> file.  Is there a way to specify control characters within a string
> used with a 'write sys$output' statement? Can the control character be
> entered "raw" into the string or is there a character escape mechanism?

This is an example of how that could be done:
        $ esc_chr[0,8] == %O033
        $ clear == "WRITE SYS$OUTPUT esc_chr,""[H"",esc_chr,""[2J"""

It was done in this way so that showing the symbol `clear' would not
clear the terminal screen and would display the actual escape sequence.
--
Robert Garvey
uucp:    ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!blic!garvey

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 May 87 00:36 EST
From: <ANK%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: COPY vs BACKUP, a doubt.!

Dear Folks,

                For the past few months I have been using
my data-set's as well as INFOVAX.MAI's right of the tapes
which I use COPY to tapes...It works fine for me. We also
do BACKUP/since every night after 10:00 and weekly backups
of all (.) files on Saturdays. In view of the ACP file-header
full problem that I faced two weeks ago I am about to propose
a solution to our heavy users, is this:

        "Use your massive data-sets and seldom used files
         directly from the tape. "

I have seen that our tape-drives (two of them) are under
utilized for 5 (can your believe this !) hours from 12 to
5 in the evening. During the mid-night session it is also
not used too. So it would be decent to judiciously try and
set up some files to be /NOBACKUP and put it as COPY, so that
one could easily MOUNT it and use the tape for their work....

I am asking you all to give me the pro & con's of this process
before it is too late.

We have a single VAX running VMS 4.4, DECNETed to a Symbolics
and two AT's....which rarely store things on VAX....They use (AT's)
the Symbolics services only....

My dead-line for proposing this is 10th May. So all suggestions
before that would help me evaluate the options.

                        Thanks

PS: RE: ACP header-full
error I intend to give
you all the story of
what went wrong soon.

                                                Anil Khullar
                                        {Ph.D. Prog in Psychology
                                         C.U.N.Y. Grad. Center.
                                        33 W 42 St. Box 295,
                                         New York NY 10036      }

BITNET:ank@cunyvms1
INTERNET:ank%cunyvms1.BITNET@wiscvm.edu
SAID A CHIP TO ANOTHER --" I AM INTO BYTE SWAPPING"
[DISCLAIMER: They say after Boston there is heaven, I agree; I say after
LispM there is nirvana, they don't. This and other such opinion are
held dearly by me, my employers and the institution I represent do not
necessarily hold that view. I am sole culprit of such fantasies. No living
being is responsible, however unsolicited support is welcome]

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 87 03:27:34 GMT
From: mcvax!uvabick!uucp@seismo.CSS.GOV (uucp)
Subject: Submission for mod-computers-vax

From: ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax,comp.sys.dec
Date: 30 Apr 87 16:03:00 GMT

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 12:08:57 -0700
From: Robert Cray <robert%jimi.cs.unlv.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>

>I am getting annoyed at the increasing number of articles which have some
>inane subject heading like "Submission for mod-computers-vax".  OF COURSE
>that is what it is, or else it would not be here!  With the increasing

I don't think there are really as many as you think.  The submission subject
should only come from Usenet submitted articles from uucp-land, this happens
because News puts an extra set of headers on because message is mailed to
a moderater, mailing-list, or whatever.

Someone has been "reposting" articles from the arpa/bitnet side in the
Unsenet fashion, i.e. letting news do the posting instead of just mailing
them to info-vax (in which case we would have just duplicate articles, not
duplicate articles AND annoying headers)

                                        --robert

End of Info-Vax Digest