Date: Fri, 1 May 87 09:12:34 PDT
From: tencati@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: re: ringing bell from vms

The following procedure will ring the terminal bell:

$ Bell[0,7] = 7
$ write sys$output bell
$ exit

Ron Tencati
JPL-VLSI.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 May 87 12:08 EDT
From: Bob Stodola <STODOLA%xrt.upenn.edu@cis.upenn.edu>

I am interested in locating a VMS driver for an AED-512 parallel interface.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 87 10:57
From: McGuire_Ed%GRINNELL.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: RE: How do you ring bell in DCL file?

> Date: 29 Apr 87 16:32:37 GMT
> From: siemens!jrv@princeton.edu  (James R Vallino)
> Subject: How do you ring bell in DCL file?
>
> I would like to have the terminal bell rung from within a DCL command
> file.  Is there a way to specify control characters within a string
> used with a 'write sys$output' statement? Can the control character be
> entered "raw" into the string or is there a character escape mechanism?
>
> I tried everything I could think of and didn't see anything in the orange
> wall of manuals. Right now I 'type' a file which has a single bell character
> in it.
>
> Thanks.
> Jim Vallino
> Siemens Research and Technology Lab.
> Princeton, NJ
> CSNET: jrv@siemens.siemens-rtl.com
> UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,philabs}!princeton!siemens!jrv

$ BEL[0,8]=7

This loads 8 bits starting with bit 0 of the numeric symbol BEL with the
appropriate value.  See the DCL manual for details.

Ed <MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 87 15:02:35 EDT
From: Art McClinton <art@mitre.arpa>

    I would like to have the terminal bell rung from within a DCL command
    file.  Is there a way to specify control characters within a string
    used with a 'write sys$output' statement? Can the control character be
    entered "raw" into the string or is there a character escape mechanism?

Several ways to do what you want.
1) you could create a Bell character in a symbol with the following
 $ BELL[0,7]=%O07
 $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''BELL' DING DONG"
2) You could also modify your typing of the file to be the following
 $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT SYS$INPUT
 THIS IS THE FIRST LINE OF TEXT OUTPUT
 THIS IS THE SECOND LINE OF TEXT...
 BELL CHARACTERS ARE INSERTED WITHIN THE TEXT AS DESIRED
 USING LYOUR EDITOR OF CHOICE.
 $ NEXT DCL STATEMENT.

      I tried everything I could think of and didn't see anything in the orange
      wall of manuals.
The Introduction to VMS DCL Command Procedures has the information you
are looking for.

------------------------------

Date: Fri May  1 15:45:59 1987
From: TDOWNEY@cc8.bbn.com
Subject: VAX/VMS spelling checkers

Has anyone had experience with spelling checkers for VAX/VMS, such as DECspell?
Is DECspell good? Are there better ones? I find UNIX "spell" and "edtypo" are
adequate for what I need. The main use will be for checking the spelling in
LaTeX documents.

                                Tom Downey
                                BBN Communications Corp.
                                tdowney@cc8.bbn.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri 1 May 87 16:10:34-EDT
From: Tim Lee <OC.LEE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Help with setting a VT132 terminal properly

Hi,

I have a problem with a DEC VT132 terminal.  It deals with deleting of
characters by the backspace key on the keyboard.  Basically  the backspace key
works fine until I go into EDT screen mode.  After I exit EDT, when I use the
backspace key, all the erased characters are echoed back to the left of the
cursor.

These are the terminal settings and the terminal is connected to a RS232 port.

Scroll = 1              SHIFTED = 0
AutoRepeat = 1          WRAP AROUND = 0
Screen = 0              NEW LINE = 0
Cursor = 1              INTERLACE = 0

MARGIN BELL = 1         RECEIVE PARITY = 0
KEYCLICK = 1            RESERVED = 0
ANSI/VT52 = 1           LOCAL ECHO = 0
Auto XON/XOFF = 1       POWER = 0

Has anybody ever seen this problem before.  Is there a fix or that is the
way it works ?

Thanks,
Tim

PS: Please send mail to either of the following sites:

Bitnet: sy$lee@cuchem
Arpanet: oc.lee@cu20b.columbia.edu

Thanks again to all in advance...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 May 87 14:29:59 PDT
From: carl@CitHex.Caltech.Edu
Subject: ULTRIX f77 compiler problem

When I try compiling the following program with ULTRIX's alleged FORTRAN
77 compiler, it bombs.

      INTEGER*4 MA,MH, MHA(1),MHB(1)
      WRITE(6,830) ((MHA(MA) , MHB(MA)), MA=1,MH )
  830 FORMAT(2I5)
      END

The error messages are:

test.f:
   MAIN:
Error on line 2 of test.f: invalid complex constant
Compiler error line 2 of test.f: Impossible tag 0 in routine fixtype

compiler error.

Is there anybody out there running ULTRIX who has seen this problem before
and who can tell me what I'm doing wrong (other than using ULTRIX in the
first place)?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 May 87 14:28 MST
From: <KIEFFER%UNCAEDU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: cableshare RFI

A long time ago an request for information was posted asking for
information about Cableshare. One of our systems people used to
work for the company.
 Rom Kieffer

From:   UCEDU::KOZLOWSKI    30-APR-1987 15:02
To:     UCEDU::KIEFFER
Subj:   RE: cableshare request for info

I've finally gotten around to this request for information about Cableshare's
LSIX25. I had worked on them when I was with Cableshare, and they are quite a
good product. The hardware is produced by DEC, and can be anywhere from the
PDP11/03 to the PDP11/73, depending on the speed required. The software is
quite robust; it underwent very strenuous testing by Ford Credit in Dearborn.
The LSI will significantly reduce the I/O load on the mainframe, since data
arrives in clumps, and most of the x25 protocol is handled in the LSI. It has
options like DMA transfer that can really move data if the application requests
it.

I understand that Cableshare has just sold the network operation to a company
in London, ONT call Microtronix. I don't know anything about this company, but
I hope they provide good support. The LSI is one of the best network interfaces
abvailable. It's main problem is that it was never properly marketed.

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 87 17:54:00 EDT
From: "ARTIC::GAYMAN" <gayman%artic.decnet@ari-hq1.arpa>
Subject: Ringing bells

Jim Vallino -

$ bell[0,7] = 7
$ write sys$output "''bell'"

Elizabeth Gayman (GAYMAN@ARI-HQ1.ARPA)

Date: Fri 1 May 87 17:15:34-PDT
From: David Roode <ROODE@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: Re:  VAXstation II/GPX and options

Regarding the issue of ease of working on the BA23 vs. the BA123 MicroVax
box:

        It turns out that the commonly used tower-stand for the BA23
is the thing that makes it hard to work on the BA23.  There is a rack
mount kit to take the actual BA23 out of the tower stand and
mount it in the 19" rack with other things like disks and tapes.
In this configuration, the BA23 is probably easier to work on than
the BA123.

End of Info-Vax Digest