Date: 30 Apr 87 23:57:46 GMT
From: trwrb!ucla-an!medivax!chinson@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Chinson Yi)
Subject: VMS backup with Rabbit-5

I just got a brochure on Rabbit-5 backup Utility from RAXCO.
Does anybody uses this backup utility ?  They claim that
it could reduce the backup by 1/2.  We have 2 RA81 that
needs to be fully backup twice a week (Whew).

I would appreciate any info on this utility.  I also
want to find out something about RAXCO's disk de-fragmentating
utility, too.

Chinson Yi
UCLA, Dept of Medicine

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 May 87 11:38:14 +0200
From: Steinar Haug <haug%vax.runit.unit.uninett@NTA-VAX.ARPA>
Subject: VERB program

I've seen several references to the VERB program on this list and as far
as I can remember it is on some DECUS tape. Can anyone tell me if it is
available over the net, via anonymous FTP?

Thanks,

Steinar Haug, Computing Center at the University of Trondheim, Norway

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 87 17:02:42 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!water!watmath!gamiddleton@seismo.css.gov
Subject: I need troff/nroff for vms

I'm looking for a version of troff or nroff that will run on a VMS system.
I don't want to run a Unix emulator, I need it for native VMS.  Does
anybody know where I can get such a thing?  Thanks.

 -Guy Middleton, University of Waterloo MFCF/ICR, gamiddleton@watmath

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 May 87 07:05:37 PDT
From: nagy%warner.hepnet@lbl.arpa
Subject: RE: What is my 8500 really? ($GETSYI question)

>On our VAX-8500 calling $GETSYI with the item SYI$_CPU gives me
>back the value PR$_SID_TYP8NN.
>I would like to get the information what kind of a 8NN it is.
>What do I have to specify to get back this information ? Which
>item gives me the value PR$_XSID_N8500 ?

>Ruedi Berger
>Informatikbereich Hochschule St.Gallen

Try the undocumented item code SYI$_XCPU.  This claims to return the
CPU subtype (Extended SID information).  One place to look up this
stuff is the STARLET.REQ and LIB.REQ files in SYS$LIBRARY:; can be
very interesting reading.

=Frank Nagy
=Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
=FNAL::NAGY.HEPNET or NAGY@FNAL.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 87 20:19:58 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!jimp@seismo.css.gov  (Jim
      Patterson)
Subject: Re: Need faster VMS spawn

I'm replying to your posting just to correct some apparent misunderstandings
about a few of the VMS services.

>In VMS, ...
>They have LIB$SPAWN, which is a higher-level interface to SYS$CREPRC,

There are some significant differences between LIB$SPAWN and SYS$CREPRC
besides the interface itself.  Primarily, LIB$SPAWN is intended to create
a copy of your DCL session (or other command-interpreter).  This involves
copying over process logicals, DCL symbols and other tid-bits of information.
SYS$CREPRC does none of this, but simply runs another program/process.
(That's why it runs so much faster).  However, because it doesn't copy
over this environment, it also doesn't provide the same user environment
that was available to the command interpretor user.
Before LIB$SPAWN was provided (in VMS 3.0), it was extremely difficult in
VMS to implement the equivalent of the unix system() call.

>You will have to look at the System Services manual to find out what it's
>called, but I know that there is also a "exec"-like routine that overlays all
>or part of your address space with a new program image.

You won't find this in the system services manual.  The routine you're
referring to is the image activator, and it's used by DCL to merge a user
program or image into the process address space as part of a RUN command.
It's not intended to be called by user programs directly.
However, you're right that it is implemented as a system service.

--
Jim Patterson
Cognos Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 May 87 11:25:52 PDT
From: carl@CitHex.Caltech.Edu (Carl J Lydick)
Subject: Re: bbs,mail questions...

 > i know that if i define a logical name for a user (ie define kevin kashford)
 > and then send mail to kevin, only the name "kevin" will appear in the
 > receivers to: section. is there any way to do the same with the from:
 > section??? i have tried several diff ways and have been unable to do this.

I sincerely hope not.  What shows up in the "To: " section isn't terribly
important: after all, if you got the mail, it was for you, right?  However,
I don't want someone to be able to send mail and have it appear to come
from, for example "SYSTEM" if they're not using the system manager account.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 May 87 12:26:52 PDT
From: nagy%warner.hepnet@lbl.arpa
Subject: RE: Another strange CPU name (Scorpio)

Scropio was the "code name" of the 8200 while in development like
Venus became the 8600 and the 8800 was the Nautilus.  These also
explain the 8SS and 8NN "names" used in some of other macros
in LIB.MLB.

Date: 1 May 87 22:10:19 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!jimp@seismo.css.gov  (Jim
      Patterson)
Subject: Re: redirection of stdio, et al.

In article <8704272220.AA01440@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
gwalker@SPCA.BBN.COM.UUCP writes:

>The following are the ways I know of to get stdio
>redirection on VMS.
>1. For all programs that use SYS$OUTPUT (stdout for VMS) for their output (as
>   most do) you can either
>    a) use
>    ASSIGN/USER somefile SYS$OUTPUT
>On the input side (SYS$INPUT), method (a) can be used:
>  ASSIGN/USER myinfile SYS$INPUT

For VAX 11 C users, ASSIGN/USER doesn't work.  You can use ASSIGN
(which assigns a supervisor-level logical), but of course you have
to remember to DEASSIGN it after. As near as I can figure out, this
is because the VAX 11 C I/O interface doesn't actually open the
standard input/output files but instead relies on the process-permanent
file opens.

You can also do your own I/O redirection as noted in some of the other
articles. No, VAX 11 C won't do this for you (or at least
it won't for me).

There is a product called VAX Shell that I think does all of this
redirection etc. for you.  I haven't used it, though, so have no
idea how it works or what it does for you.  From what I know of it,
VAX Shell gives you a UNIX-like shell environment to replace the
VMS DCL environment.
--
Jim Patterson
Cognos Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 13:59 +1100
From: munnari!ditmelb.oz!PTAYLOR@seismo.CSS.GOV
Subject: Mail-11 and NetMail

Dave Stevens of SIT asked about talking Mail-11 over DecNet; I sent him an
earlier version of the following code, but thought that the tidied-up version
might be of general interest.  Caveat: beware of giving NetMbx privilege, or,
alternatively, never believe a 'From: ' field. ** Phil.

(Philip Taylor; CHAA006%UK.AC.RHBNC.VAXB@AC.UK - temporarily on AcsNet)

        program test
        implicit integer (A-Z)
        character null, obj27
        character * 132 buffer
        parameter (mask = '10000000'X)
        null = char(0)
        obj27 = char(27)
        open (unit=1, file='SYS$NODE::"MAIL=/' // null // null
     &                          // null // obj27 // '"',
     &          status='unknown', carriagecontrol='list')
        call enquire ('From', buffer, length)
        write (1, 1000) buffer (1:length)
        call enquire ('To', buffer, length)
        write (1, 1000) buffer (1:length)
        read (1,  2000) length, buffer
        read (buffer(1:4), 9000) status
        if (.not. status)
     &  then
            call lib$signal (%val (status .and. .not. mask))
            if ((status .and. '0FFF0000'X ) .eq. '007E0000'X)
     &      then
                 do while (buffer .ne. null)
                 read (1, 2000) length, buffer
                 if (buffer .ne. null)
     &                  write (6, 6000) buffer (1:length)
                 end do
            end if
        else
            write (1, 1000) null
            call enquire ('Original', buffer, length)
            write (1, 1000) buffer (1:length)
            call enquire ('Subject', buffer, length)
            write (1, 1000) buffer (1:length)
            call enquire ('Filename', buffer, length)
            open (unit=2, file=buffer(1:length), status='old')
            end of file = .false.
            do  while (.not. end of file)
                read (2, 2000, end=10) length, buffer
                write (1, 1000) buffer (1:length)
            end do
 0010       end of file = .true.
            close (2)
            write (1, 1000) null
            read (1,  2000) length, buffer
            read (buffer(1:4), 9000) status
            if (.not. status)
     &      then
                if ((status .and. '0FFF0000'X ) .eq. '007E0000'X)
     &          then
                     do while (buffer .ne. null)
                     read (1, 2000) length, buffer
                     if (buffer .ne. null)
     &                  write (6, 6000) buffer (1:length)
                     end do
                end if
            end if
        end if
        close (1)
 1000   format (A)
 2000   format (Q, A)
 6000   format (1H , A)
 9000   format (A4)
        end

        subroutine enquire (prompt, buffer, length)
        implicit integer (A-Z)
        character * (*) prompt, buffer
        call cli$get_value (prompt, buffer, length)
        return
        end

define verb sm
        synonym sendmail
        image sys$login:sendmail
        parameter p1, label=filename, prompt="Filename", value(required)
        qualifier to, value(required)
        qualifier from, value(required)
        qualifier original, value(required)
        qualifier subject, value(required)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 02:01:49 PDT
From: SERAFINI%RAL@ames-io.ARPA
Subject: VMS print/page_setup ???

In the help file for print/passall it mentions that /passall will casue
/page_setup to be ignored.  However, there is no help for print/page_setup,
and the CLD for print (gotten using the VERB program) for VMS 4.4 has no
/page_setup qualifier defined.  Is this a future feature, an old feature, or
a non-existent one.
This isn't an earth shattering query, I'm just curious.

-Dave Serafini
Sterling Software @ NASA/Ames Research Center
Applied Aerodynamics Branch

serafini%ral@ames-io.ARPA   or RAL::SERAFINI (SPAN node 24.6)