Date: 4 May 87 01:53:03 GMT
From: johnth@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (John Thurtell)
Subject: Re: Terminal capture program wanted

In article <2895@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) writes:
>I am after a program to enable recording of a terminal session on VMS. I
>
>The program I saw was called PHOTO, and you typed something like:
>
>Any ideas please?
>--
>           Bob Eager
>           rde@ukc.UUCP
>           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde
>           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

 I have seen PHOTO but don't know anything about it however I can offer
a simple solution to your problem.  Try using the log qualifier on the
set host command. (You may need to be running as a decnet site to use
this I'm not sure.) Anyway this is what I do.  If the vax your logged
onto is called say MYVAX then try,

SET HOST MYVAX /LOG=TERMINAL.LOG

Login again and conduct your business.  When you log out you should find a log
file in your home (?) directory.

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 87 07:28:00 EDT
From: "Daniel J. Graham" <graham@drcvax>
Subject: re:  ALL-IN-1 Standing meeting scheduler

Personally, I find the Allin1 Time Management system so convoluted and
archane that I refuse to use it, but I think I can give you a workable answer
to the problem of scheduling standing meetings.

The easiest way, from your standpoint, would be to have the user construct a
UDP that would go into time management, select the first date, enter the
meeting, use the woen arrow to advance to the next month (or week) and
schedule the meeting all over again.  The UDP might take some polishing, but
it would work.

Probably the best answer would be to write a script file which did the same
thing, but was accessed from a menu selection that you provide by modifying
the form and it's named data.

Good Luck, (better you than me)
--Dan

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 87 07:56:00 EDT
From: "Daniel J. Graham" <graham@drcvax>
Subject: RINGING BELL IN DCL

Jim,

That one's easy, but not the least bit obvious from the documentation.

If you are using the EDT editor to make the command file, simply use the
spcins (PF1-KP3) sequence like this:

hit PF1
enter a 7 (ascii code for ringing the bell)
hit PF1 again aht then
hit the keypad 3

you will see the symbol ^G appear.  Do this after the first quote of the
write statement.  Notice that although the control-g is represented by two
characters, if you move the cursor past it, it takes both in one keystroke.
this indicates that EDT is treating the symbol as one character, (ascii 7)

If you had this line in a .COM file

$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "^G ERROR - YOU ARE NOT ENTERING THE CORRECT ANSWER"

The bell would be rung before the "Error" line was printed out.

Hope this helps,

Dan Graham GRAHAM@DRCVAX.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 3 May 87 18:46:03 GMT
From: ihnp4!chinet!nucsrl!gore@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jacob Gore)
Subject: Re: redirection of stdio, et al.

>Does anyone know of any tools that allow command line redirection of
>stdio under VMS. Something similar to the way unix and msdos does it is
>preferable to some of the methods that have previously been proposed.
>
>-mike mcguffey

$ run/input=input_file/output=output_file program

is all it takes.  Note that you do have to have both /input and /output.  If
you want one of them to remain your terminal, use /input=TT: or /output=TT:.
If you don't have any input, use /input=NLA0: (the null device).

Warning:  this is all from memory.  Use HELP RUN to confirm this.

Jacob Gore
Northwestern University, Computer Science Research Lab
{gargoyle,ihnp4,chinet}!nucsrl!gore
gore@EECS.NWU.Edu (for now, only from ARPA)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 13:01 N
From: <MEKENKAM%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Carlo Mekenkamp)
Subject: KES

Hello,
Has somebody experience with the expert system shell KES, or
with interfacing(embedding)  KES with other languages than C.
(e.g. ADA, PASCAL).
I am interested in KES from Software A & E, so any comments
on that Expert system are welcome.
Carlo Mekenkamp <mekenkamp@hlerul5.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 87 11:00:00 EST
From: "DAVE DOROSZ" <dorosz@esdvax.arpa>

>Try setting up the VAX to have a very large typeahead buffer.  If the NBI is
>not responding to XOFF, there's probably nothing you can do in LAT to fix it,
>but we've found in dealing with similar problems just with local directly-
>connected lines that a sufficient typeahead buffer improves things.

Just what I thought. But how do you set up a large typeahead buffer for
a device which is created on an ad hoc basis. I've tried setting up an
applications  port on the systems, but it doesn't seem to work. What I really
need is an interactive port. But that's not an option in LATCP.

Anyy other ideas?

                                                Thanks,
                                                R. Kevin Oberman
                                                Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab
                                                arpa: oberman@lll-icdc.arpa
                                                (415) 422-6955

A FEW.  I POSTED AN ANSWER TO THIS A FEW DAYS AGO BUT I DON'T
THINK MY RESPONSE GOT MAILED PROPERLY.

CHECK OUT THE SOFTWARE AT THE OTHER END, NAMELY THE NBI.
I SETUP  SOME NBI MACHINES A FEW MONTHS AGO AND I SEEM TO
REMEMBER THAT THE NBI HAS AN OPTION IN THE COMM SETUP SOFTWARE
THAT ALLOWS YOU TO INSERT A TIME DELAY AT THE END OF EACH LINE
IF YOU PLAY AROUND WITH THIS PARAMETER YOU WILL EVENTUALLY FIND
A VALUE THAT PREVENTS THE BUFFER OVERFLOW PROBLEM.  IF THIS FAILS
TRY SLOWING DOWN THE BAUD RATE TO 1200 BAUD.  MOST WP'S HAVE A
LOOKUP TABLE THAT ALLOWS THE INCOMING ASCII TO BE CONVERTED
TO WHATEVER CHARACTERS YOU CHOSE.  THIS ALLOWS THE MACHINE TO BE
MORE FLEXIBLE, BUT ALSO SLOWS DOWN THE COMM QUITE A BIT BECAUSE THE
WP'S MICRO HAS TO DO THE CONVERSION BEFORE THE CHARACTER IS SENT FROM
THE KEYBOARD OR TYPED ON THE SCREEN.

DAVE DOROSZ
DOROSZ@ESDVAX.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 May 87 11:13:12 EDT
From: David Quarterman <DLQ%UGA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Format Change Due to Redistribution problems

I hope it is solved shortly.  Digest format is a pain for me.

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 87 01:12:25 GMT
From: munnari!murdu!u3369429@seismo.css.gov  (Michael Bednarek)
Subject: Re: How do you NOT write a <RETURN>? (was:ring bell in DCL
         file)?

In article <1680@megaron.arizona.edu>
robert@arizona.edu (Robert J. Drabek) writes:
>>      $ clear == "WRITE SYS$OUTPUT esc_chr,""[H"",esc_chr,""[2J"""
>I have been using the above type of statements to do clear screens, but
>they really leave the cursor on the second row since there is a
><return> effectively at the end of the write sys$output.
>Is there someway around that?  (In Unix echo -n does the job.)

Try: Set Terminal/Width=80

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 May 87 13:17:20 EDT
From: "Mr. Peter Flass" <ESCFLASS%UBVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

  I hate to sound like a nag, but your idea is a serious violation
of modular programming standards.  Have you considered adding additional
entry points to your MACRO routine to access and/or modify the data
item?
         Pete Flass
         Empire State College

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 May 87 08:40 CET
From: GRZ021%DBNGMD21.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Autodialing driver for SMARTY-MODEM?

Hello,

because I'm very lazy in developing a driver I just ask in here, if anyone
has a - public domain or low cost (?!) - driver for an autodialing modem named
SMARTY Version 5.3. This modem is designed for 1200halfduplex, 1200/75, 300/300

Also this modem is made in germany it is fully compatible to modems with Hayes
standard. Therefore if you have a driver for an outdialing hayes - modem I'm
also very interested. I'm running VMS 4.5, but I think that doesn't matter ...

thanks for all hints or programs,

                        m.ress

                        GMD
                        Castle of Birlinghoven
                        D-5205 St.Augustin
                        (West Germany)

                EUNET:    ress%gmdeis@gmdzi.UUCP
                BITNET:   GVL005@DBNGMD21.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 10:55 PDT
From: Kevin Carosso <KVC@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM>
Subject: Re: RD53 Disk Format Compat. Question

> Does anyone know whether an RD-53 shipped in a VaxStation 2000 will be
> format-compatible with the "same" unit found in a uVAX-II with an RQDX-3
> controller?

Just got back from DECUS and am catching up on mail, so sorry if this got
responded to already...

Anyway, at a uVAX 2000 hardware session DEC indicated that they made the
RD53 in the 2000 series format compatible with the RQDX3 since they needed
to be able to make system disks before they had any software on the machine,
etc...  Anyway, it's not formally specified as compatible and it's not
supported, but it should work (at least for now).

        /Kevin Carosso                      kvc@engvax.scg.hac.com
         Hughes Aircraft Co.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 00:20 CDT
From: <SDB5442%TAMSIGMA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: ULTRIX f77 Compiler bug

This is in reply to an info-vax question about the ULTRIX f77 compiler.
The code submitted is shown below:
>      INTEGER*4 MA,MH, MHA(1),MHB(1)
>      WRITE(6,830) ((MHA(MA) , MHB(MA)), MA=1,MH )
>  830 FORMAT(2I5)
>      END

However, because of a bug in the compiler f77 gives errors on line 2, where
the VMS compiler does fine.  Well, the fix is shown below.  Line 2 is modified
to be:

       WRITE(6,830) (MHA(MA) , MHB(MA), MA=1,MH )

Notice the missing parentheses.  This statement seems to be equivalent to the
one above.  (At least that's what the fortan book says.)  No doubt DEC will
get around to fixing this discrepancy eventually, but until then we'll have
to watch the extra paren's.

Stewart Baker
(SDB5442@TAMSIGMA.BITNET)
Manager, VLSI (ULTRIX V1.2)
Texas A&M University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 12:15:35 PDT
From: carl@CitHex.Caltech.Edu
Subject: Re: VMS pseudo terminal setup

I'm not sure, since I've never worked with DECservers, but I suspect the only
ways to set the terminal characteristics for LTAn are:
        a)  Set them up interactively after the line is active; or
        b)  Set the appropriate SYSGEN parameters for default terminal
            characteristics to be what you want for the LTA's.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 12:34:57 PDT
From: porter@Juliet.Caltech.Edu (Mark Andrew Porter)
Subject: Digests are better?

I thought that digests were supposed to STOP duplication of messages.

It's not working. Original messages and their UUCP copies are appearing
in the same digest.  I reference specifically Grenville Whelan's post
of 30 Apr 87.

If the digests aren't going to solve the problem, could we go back to the
old format?  On the other hand, if we are going to go through the hassle
of having digests, could they please *work*?

Mark Porter
Caltech

Porter@CitJuliet.Bitnet
Porter@Juliet.Caltech.Edu

If you feel the need to flame me, please don't do it on the net - I don't
want to see copies of flames wandering around in the digests.

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 87 17:19:00 EST
From: "ERI::SMITH" <smith%eri.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu>
Subject: Andragology?

Uh... _perhaps_ this is not _strictly_ the right forum, but I can't
stand it any more.  A lot of the messages I've been getting seem to have
come via:

              University of Amsterdam
              Grote Bickersstraat 72
              1013 KS Amsterdam, The Netherlands

_WHAT_ is andragology?
Daniel P. B. Smith         ARPA: smith%eri.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu
Eye Research Institute     CompuServe: 74706,661
20 Staniford Street        Telephone (voice): 617 742-3140
Boston, MA 02114
"For my part, I could easily do without the post-office.... To speak
critically, I never received more than one or two letters in my life
that were worth the postage".--Thoreau

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 18:31 EST
From: <WBMANN%SUNSET.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: decus programs???

hi...

question 3 for the week-

what is decus , where is decus, how do i get a pgm from decus, and is
decus free??

also i have a pgm that someone sent to me that requires you already
have a pgm called "the cb simulator from the decus pgm library"
does anyone have a copy they could send to me?

                 kevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 May 87 13:31
From: McGuire_Ed%GRINNELL.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

> Date: 1 May 87 10:28:44 GMT
> From: eagle!rde@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (R.D.Eager)
> Subject: Terminal capture program wanted
>
> I am after a program to enable recording of a terminal session on VMS. I
> saw  an  example  of one during an explanation of a different topic in a
> recent article, but couldn't contact the author.
>
> The program I saw was called PHOTO [. . .]

PHOTO is a product of Precision Business Systems, 61 Broadway, New York, N.Y.
10006, (212)425-0200.

I believe PHOTO V4.3 is the latest release.

The PHOTO/LOG command starts recording to a log file.  The PHOTO/OFF command
closes the log.  The log file is not maintained using RMS (for performance
reasons, apparently) and therefore is not record-oriented.  The PLAYBACK
command replays the log file on the terminal.  The PLAYBACK/TYPE=RECORD command
creates a record-oriented file from the log file.

Grinnell College has no affiliation with PBS except that we purchased and
operate PHOTO V4.0.

Ed <MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 19:50 EST
From: "John H. Yates" <YATES%a.chem.upenn.edu@cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: DCL bell and VT200 special stuff

Enjoy the following on VT200 series terminals. The beauty is that
non ASCII characters are all printable when dealt with in this
manner. John

$ message_text = "A Flashing message(double height)."
$ bell[0,7]   = %X07                ! Create symbol to ring bell
$ if f$getdvi("sys$output","TT_DECCRT") .NES. "TRUE" then goto not_dec
$ esc[0,7]    = %X1B                ! Create symbol for escape character
$ set_flash   = "''esc'[1;5m"       ! increase intensity and
$!                                  !     turn on blinking characters
$ set_noflash = "''esc'[0m"         ! Turn off blinking characters
$ set_bright = "''esc'[1m"
$ set_underscore = "''esc'[4m"
$ set_reverse = "''esc'[7m"
$ set_normal = "''esc'[2;2m"
$ set_not_underlined = "''esc'[2;4m"
$ set_not_blinking = "''esc'[2;5m"
$ set_positive = "''esc'[2;7m"
$!
$!    0      all attributes off.
$!    1      display at increased intensity (bold)
$!    4      display underscored
$!    5      display blinking
$!    7      display negative (reverse) image
$!    2  2   display normal intensity
$!    2  4   display not underlined
$!    2  5   display not blinking
$!    2  7   display positive image
$!
$ top         = "''esc'#3"          ! Double size characters (top portion)
$ bot         = "''esc'#4"          ! Double size characters (bottom portion)
$ write sys$output bell,set_flash
$ write sys$output top,message_text
$ write sys$output bot,message_text
$ write sys$output f$time(),set_noflash
$!
$ write sys$output set_normal
$ write sys$output set_reverse
$ write sys$output "Reverse image text."
$ write sys$output set_noflash
$!
$ write sys$output set_normal
$ write sys$output set_underscore
$ write sys$output "Underscored text."
$ write sys$output set_noflash
$!
$ write sys$output set_normal
$ write sys$output set_bright
$ write sys$output "Bright text."
$ write sys$output set_noflash
$!
$ write sys$output set_normal
$ write sys$output "Normal text."
$ write sys$output set_noflash
$!
$ write sys$output set_normal
$ write sys$output set_flash
$ write sys$output "Flashing text."
$ write sys$output set_noflash
$ goto out
$not_dec: write sys$output bell
$ write sys$output "This terminal is not a DEC CRT."
$out:

End of Info-Vax Digest