[comp.os.vms] C++ Users

jcm@ORNL-MSR.ARPA.UUCP (04/27/87)

>From: Ken Wallewein <kenw%noah.arc.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
>Maybe this isn't the correct forum, but I don't know of a better one, so...
>I have been watching with great interest any news on C++.

I don't know of any better forum, but there is an arpanet mailing
list for C which occasionally touched on C++ occasionally when I
monitored it about 2 years ago.  However, that list is heavily
overloaded with C discussions.  I would like to have a list of C++
USERS -- please send a message to JCM@ORNL-MSR.ARPA.  (Please tell
what C++ implementation you have, what computer system you are using,
and what type of application you are developing).  I don't want to
start a mailing list, but I might be willing to echo a VERY SMALL
amount of mail.

>Does allowable operator overloading include the assignment (=) operator?

Not only can you overload "=", but you can also overload "()"
(function calls) and "[]" (array subscripting).  I believe this makes
it possible to do such things as:

jim mullens / jcm@ornl-msr.arpa / 615-574-5564

graham@ee.brunel.ac.uk (Graham J Carpenter) (05/06/87)

In article <8704290946.AA28909@edison.GE.COM> uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) writes:
>>From: Ken Wallewein <kenw%noah.arc.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
>>Maybe this isn't the correct forum, but I don't know of a better one, so...
>>I have been watching with great interest any news on C++.
>
>I don't know of any better forum, but there is an arpanet mailing
>list for C which occasionally touched on C++ occasionally when I
>monitored it about 2 years ago.

The arpanet mailing list for C is gatewayed to the usenet newsgroup comp.lang.c.
There is also a usenet group called comp.lang.c++. I'm sure that this must be
gatewayed to an appropriate arpanet mailing list, but I don't have any details
of these lists. Comp.lang.c++ is full of debate on the kind of questions you
have and I would suggest you try and find the name of that mailing list.

Graham

| Graham Carpenter, Dept of EE & E, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,  UK |
| ARPA: graham%ee.brunel.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa    | JANET: graham@uk.ac.brunel.ee |
| UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!ee.brunel.ac.uk!graham  | VOICE: +44 895 74000 Ext 2849 |