[comp.os.vms] Terminal capture program wanted

rde@eagle.ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (05/01/87)

I am after a program to enable recording of a terminal session on VMS. I
saw  an  example  of one during an explanation of a different topic in a
recent article, but couldn't contact the author.

The program I saw was called PHOTO, and you typed something like:

    $ PHOTO file
    $   .
    $
    $   .
    $ ! either logout or PHOTO something

and file would contain all the intermediate terminal transactions.

Any ideas please?
--
           Bob Eager
           rde@ukc.UUCP

johnth@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John Thurtell) (05/04/87)

In article <2895@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) writes:
>I am after a program to enable recording of a terminal session on VMS. I
>
>The program I saw was called PHOTO, and you typed something like:
>
>Any ideas please?
>--
>           Bob Eager
>           rde@ukc.UUCP
>           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde
>           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

 I have seen PHOTO but don't know anything about it however I can offer
a simple solution to your problem.  Try using the log qualifier on the
set host command. (You may need to be running as a decnet site to use
this I'm not sure.) Anyway this is what I do.  If the vax your logged
onto is called say MYVAX then try,

SET HOST MYVAX /LOG=TERMINAL.LOG

Login again and conduct your business.  When you log out you should find a log
file in your home (?) directory.

jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson) (05/06/87)

In article <2895@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) writes:
>I am after a program to enable recording of a terminal session on VMS.

The usual "trick" to do this is to use DecNET.  The remote login
command, SET HOST, supports a LOG parameter that diverts a copy of
the session to a disk file.  For example:

$ SET HOST 0/LOG=logfile

(0 allows you to link to your current node). Note that VMS supports
SET HOST even if you haven't purchased DecNET; what DecNET provides
is the ability to talk to some other computer besides your own.

The drawback of this approach is that you have to log onto the
system again.  It's also expensive because the entire terminal
session is being passed through the DecNET software.
--
Jim Patterson
Cognos Inc.