Date: Wed, 6 May 87 09:24 EDT
From: <WHITESID%MCMASTER.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Fred Whiteside)
Subject: RE: ULTRIX F77 Compiler problem

Re the FORTRAN code fragment:
        INTEGER*4 MA,MH,MHA(1),MHB(1)
        WRITE(6,830) ((MHA(MA), MHB(MA)), MA=1,MH)
830     FORMAT .....

The problem as I understand it, is with the FORTRAN 77 standard. I believe
that the 77 standard says something to the effect of THERE SHALL BE NO
SPURIOUS PARENTHESES IN I/O LISTS. (I don't have my copy of the standard
handy, so I can't check). I recollect this from when our CYBER gave an error
in similar circumstances. The problem appears to be that there is some confusion
possible about whether a complex constant is supposed to be output.
        This is NOT to suggest that I approve of ULTRIX, you understand, but I
think that this isn't its fault (Ultrix 1 - Universe 10**5)

Disclaimer:
        I think I think, but my employer isn't sure ... so they disown me if
they don't agree.....

-Fred Whiteside  (WHITESID@MCMASTER.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 10:02 EDT
From: <DHASKIN%CLARKU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Denis W. Haskin,
      Manager, Technical Services)
Subject: Bboards

<KREEK@UREGINA1.BITNET> who were looking for VMS Bulletin board software: I
suggest you contact Mark London <MRL%PFCVAX@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU> for a copy of PFC
Bulletin, which he developed.  It is a PD bulletin board system which looks and
feels a lot like VMS Mail (Folders and the like) and seems to be pretty good.
We're still testing it here but have every intention of making it available to
the general university community.

% Denis W. Haskin                             Manager, Technical Services %
% ----------------------------------------------------------------------- %
% DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET   Office of Information Systems     (617)793-7193 %
% Clark University               950 Main Street      Worcester MA  01610 %

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 10:39 EDT
From: welch%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: VMS Security hole?

I'm posting this for a co-worker who just returned from DECUS:

   I've heard (at DECUS) that there is a "GLARING" security hole in
VMS v4.5. The problem apparently is that a user can aquire very high
privs. if they do the correct series of command (or something like
that).  The message on VAXNOTES (at DECUS) that detailed this was
erased by DEC almost as soon as it was submitted.

At DECUS all DEC would say is "DEC will not comment on security
problems in any release of VMS.  If you think that you are having a
security problem contact your support person."  This is annoying.  If
there is a way for someone to bypass security I want to know about it,
preferably from DEC and not from notes on COMPUSERVE.

   If anyone knows if this "HOLE" exists please let the net know.  BUT
PLEASE DO NOT PUT THE DETAILS HERE.  The last thing we need is for the
whole world to know how to do it.

Bitnet: jhwelch@amherst

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 10:02 CST
From: <MCGUIRE%GRIN2.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Typeahead buffer size

> Date: 5 May 87 08:23:00 PDT
> From: "Oberman, Kevin" <oberman@lll-icdc.arpa>
> Subject: More details on the DECserver problem
>
> >I'm not sure, since I've never worked with DECservers, but I suspect the only
> >ways to set the terminal characteristics for LTAn are:
> >        a)  Set them up interactively after the line is active; or
> >        b)  Set the appropriate SYSGEN parameters for default terminal
> >            characteristics to be what you want for the LTA's.
>
> Unfortunately, this does not work. ALTYPEAHEAD is a parameter that may not
> be set after the terminal line is allocated, which it is at the time of
> creation. And the System Generation Utility Reference Manual, page SGN-83,
> states the the ALTYPEAHEAD bit should not be set.

How about changing the SYSGEN parameter TTY_TYPAHDSZ, which determines the
size of the typeahead buffer (not the alternate buffer at all)?

Ed <MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 11:10:36 PDT
From: zar@Xhmeia.Caltech.Edu
Subject: RE: Nanny Sources

Everyone who has asked for Nanny, please be patient (there are some 75+
requests and growing). Direct BITNET users are TOP priority. Non-bitnet
users will have to wait until all BITNET sites have theirs (this may mean
a week or two).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 14:03 EST
From: "GLENN EVERHART, 609 486 6328"
      <EVERHART%ARISIA%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Software Tools

The DECUS Languages and Tools SIG tape for 1986 contains a distribution
of the Software Tools for VMS, updated for current versions (plus
lots of other stuff). It's available from your local LUG and is
being sent to the DECUS Library also. (3 reels at 1600 BPI or one at
6250!). It will be supplemented by some additional tools in C once
they become available to the L&T Sig people. The last DECUS "toys"
submission from the Software Tools group (Ratfor LEX, Format, Yacc,
Ratfor, and LISP) appeared some time ago on the DECUS RSX SIG
tape (c. 1984) and is also available from the DECUS library in BRU
or VMS Backup formats.
        I don't have the current STUG address, but the DECUS library can
be reached at 617-480-3419,
DECUS Program Library
219 Boston Post Road BP02
Marlborough, Mass. 01752-1850

... they will respond pretty quickly getting tapes to folks. The Software
Tools represent a very competent unix-like shell for VMS; I also use it
and recommend it, including the tools mail facility, a far better
replacement for VMS Mail generally...
                Glenn Everhart

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 14:14 EST
From: "GLENN EVERHART, 609 486 6328"
      <EVERHART%ARISIA%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: TAR tapes

there have appeared references on the net to programs that
read and write TAR tape on VMS, and also to a VMS Backup reader for
non VMS systems. These will be placed on the Spring 1987 VAX
(and probably RSX also) DECUS SIG Tapes. The TAR reader and writer will
be supplied with .EXE and sources for those not having a copy of VAX11 C.
There have been many TAR readers on previous symposium tapes for both
RSX and VMS, and there was a TAR floppy writer on an RSX tape not too
far back. Sid Penstone (I hope I spelled that right) wrote these
TAR utilities. It seems a lot better than paying a few thou just
to get TAR access...
        The Unix program ansitar will read/write ANSI tapes (if you can
stand them), and there have appeared various DOS-11 format tape
read/write utilities on usenix tapes in the past (c. 1981 if memory
serves) which Exchange or FLX can handle.
        Personally my prejudice would be to use the backup reader on a unix
system and a TAR reader on VMS, letting each system write its most
general and widely supported tape format. (I trust Backup a heck of a
lot more than any other utility for its function.) However, with enough
redundant tapes, one ought to be able to rely on TAR ...
        Glenn Everhart
        Everhart%Arisia@rca.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  6-MAY-1987 22:16  +0200
From: "W.J.Moeller" <GWD21T%DGOGWD01.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: dirty tricks with DCL's  F$FAO

Since I never saw the following sort of DCL-expressions mentioned,
I'd like to give it some publicity:

This remarkably long expression ...

 f$fao("!AF",f$length(P1),f$cvui(0,32,f$fao("!AD",4,4+f$fao("!SL",P1))))

.. results in the DCL symbol P1 (string-valued) to be edited in
SYS$FAO !AF format (very useful if P1 may contain NUL bytes, since
DCL I/O doesn't like them).

The basic device is something like:
        f$cvui(0,32,f$fao("!AD",4,address))
which, in some languages, is know as the "PEEK" function.

Some useful things can be programmed with "PEEK", e.g.
        collecting some MONITOR statistics,
        or reading the RECALL buffer ... all from within DCL.

Happy PEEKing!

W.J.Moeller, GWDG, D-3400 Goettingen, F.R.Germany  <GWD21T@DGOGWD01>
                                                  Phone +49 551 201516

Date: 5 May 87 12:26:01 GMT
From: eagle!rde@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (R.D.Eager)
Subject: Terminal session capture

A few days ago I posted a request for some program (I know one example is
called PHOTO) that capture parts of terminal sessions to a file. So far I
have had three replies, all suggesting use of SET HOST/LOG.

Unfortunately, DECNET isn't a viable option, and in any case I need to
capture just parts of sessions without lots of logons/logoffs. Thanks
to those who replied; I don't seem to be able to reply to all of you by
mail.

Any other info? Please?
--
           Bob Eager
           rde@ukc.UUCP

------------------------------

Date:           Thu, 07 May 87 11:00:36 n
To:             info-vax@sri-kl.arpa
From:           <KND@DHDMPI5.BITNET>
Subject:        Message for  mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
Header-Disclaimer: I don't like my headers either !

        [ Sorry for sending this to the net... ]
Ted,

I'm very interested in your paper "Ins and out of VMS Sharable Images".
Please send me a copy.

Regards
Hans Kandler

Post-Mail-Address               *       E-Mail
 Hans Kandler                   *       PSI%02624562219303::KND
 Max-Planck-Institut            *
 fuer Kernphysik                *       KND@DHDMPI5     (Bitnet / Earn)
 Postfach 1o398o                *
 D-69oo  Heidelberg             *       KND@DHDMPI5V    (Bitnet / Earn)