[comp.os.vms] Submission for mod-computers-vax

daemon@DECWRL.DEC.COM.UUCP (04/14/87)

From: blinn@furilo.dec.com (Dr. Tom @ MRO3-3 pole R13, 297-5562)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Desktop enclosure for RD53 disk
Date: 13 Apr 87 22:57:06 GMT
Sender: daemon@decwrl.DEC.COM

Hurf at the Theory Center of Cornell University asked about the table-top
enclosure for the RD53.

He remarked that "DEC in their infinite wisdom will not sell the box
separately", which is certainly the case.

However, there's a sale on at DECUS (in Nashville, TN from April 26 thru
May 1), and you can buy an RD51-D for $400 (or a mere $320 if you buy
it on April 28).  This is a 10mbyte RD51 disk in the desktop enclosure,
and you can throw away the disk and substitute the RD53 (it's the same
box).  To get the $320 price, you need your special coupon, which DEC
has mailed to you if you're a DECUS member.  (If you're not, ask around,
I'm sure someone will have the coupon.  If you're not going to DECUS,
get someone to buy it for you.)  If we (DEC) did sell the box by itself,
it might well cost more than $400; the difference in price between the
RD54 by itself for in-cabinet installation and the RD54 for desk-top
mounting is $1000.

Note that this is not a supported configuration, but it should work just
fine, and I suspect the price is right, if you're already planning to go to
DECUS.  (N.b. -- when the RD51-D was actively marketed, it cost $2295.)

Standard disclaimer -- my opinion, not that of Digital Equipment Corporation..

Enjoy.

Tom

Dr. Thomas P. Blinn
U. S. Volume Operations
Digital Equipment Corporation
Two Iron Way -- MRO3-3/R18
Marlboro, Mass. 01752-9003

Internet: blinn%furilo@decwrl.dec.com
Easynet:  FURILO::BLINN
Usenet:	  {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!furilo.dec.com!blinn
Voice:	  (617) 467-5562
Note:
  Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
  those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.

eal@tut.fi (Lehtim{ki Erkki) (04/14/87)

From: eal@tut.UUCP (Lehtim{ki Erkki)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: I've heard many mumblings about a program called INDEX ...
Date: 14 Apr 87 11:55:45 GMT

In article <8704100516.AA10639@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> <charettep@nusc-wpn.arpa> writes:

>	People are mentioning a program called INDEX from a DECUS tape.
>Does anybody have a copy I can FTP, or that you can mail to me, or whatever?
>It sounds VERY useful.
>
>					Thanks in advance!
>
>						Paul

	Mee too!

				Erkki   eal@tut.uucp

uucp@uvabick.UUCP.UUCP (04/22/87)

From: perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp,comp.org.decus,mod.computers.vax,comp.sources.wanted
Subject: Need faster VMS spawn
Date: 16 Apr 87 20:40:07 GMT

I saw an article a while back in net.lang.lisp (that's what it was
called at the time) in which someone mentioned that they had written a
lisp interpreter for VMS which ran subprograms by spawning just one
child process and letting it hang around and using it to run all
subprograms since spawning a process takes so long in VMS.  We are now
in the situation of desperatly needing to increase the speed with which
our system can start subprocesses.  We are running MicroVMS V4.3 on a
MicroVAX II.  If anyone can tell me how to use the abovementioned
technique or any way to start subprograms faster than with lib$spawn()
we would greatly appreciate it.  If we can't find any better way we are
going to be forced to link all of our object code (currently about 13
Megabytes of object code constituting 66 separate executables) into one
gigantic executable (gag!).

Thank you.

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
{philabs|delftcc}!rdin!perl

uucp@uvabick.UUCP.UUCP (04/22/87)

From: perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp,comp.org.decus,mod.computers.vax,comp.sources.wanted
Subject: Re: Need faster VMS spawn
Date: 17 Apr 87 17:42:23 GMT

Oops!  I forgot to specify which language.  We are using VAX C and no
one here knows MACRO.

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
{philabs|delftcc}!rdin!perl

uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp) (04/23/87)

From: harry@uw-atm.UUCP (Harry Edmon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec,mod.computers.vax
Subject: Disk and tape drive for GPX
Date: 21 Apr 87 19:40:11 GMT

I am planning to purchase a Vaxstation GPX running (shudder) VMS.  I also
need approx. 400 megabytes of disk and a 1600/6250 tape drive.  The only
option I get from DEC is to purchase and addtional Microvax and BA123
cabinet for the disk and tape and cluster it with a diskless GPX. Are
there any other options, either from DEC or from a third party vendor?

--
Harry Edmon               UUCP:   geops!uw-atm!harry%june.cs.washington.edu or
(206) 543-0547                              uw-beaver!geops!uw-atm!harry

uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp) (04/23/87)

From: cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec,mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: Disk and tape drive for GPX
Date: 22 Apr 87 03:48:21 GMT

	I was recently examining alternatives for a similar system and came
up with the following:

	world box mvII gpx with tk50 (to get diags and distributions)
	fujitsu eagle (NOT super eagle)
	disk caching controller (can't remember right off the vendor will
			look it up if necessary)
	cipher tape drive 800/1600/6250 emulating a ts11
	spectra-logic controller
	extra cabinet.

	AND BEFORE ANY FLAMES ABOUT FCC REGS, yes this above system will NOT
meet them but:

		a) Many, many universities are exempt
		b) the above stuff in OUR case was in an fcc 'approved'
			computer room, not out in the open.

-ed cetron
cetron@cs.utah.edu
cetron@utahcca.bitnet

uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp) (04/23/87)

From: paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp,comp.org.decus,mod.computers.vax,comp.sources.wanted
Date: 21 Apr 87 18:52:33 GMT

In article <602@rdin.UUCP> perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) writes:
>[...] for VMS which ran subprograms by spawning just one
>child process and letting it hang around and using it to run all
>subprograms since spawning a process takes so long in VMS. [...]

> If anyone can tell me how to use the abovementioned
>technique or any way to start subprograms faster than with lib$spawn()
>we would greatly appreciate it. [...]

At last, my VMS experience is good for something.  First: Eunice, the UNIX(tm)
emulator for VMS, uses this technique.  Second: as far as I know, you don't
need MACRO -- C will do.

In VMS, the process creation is a little bit :-) different from fork/exec.
They have LIB$SPAWN, which is a higher-level interface to SYS$CREPRC, which
creates a 'subprocess' running the image (binary) of your choice.  It has no
relation to your original process other than in CPU and other accounting, and
in that the original process has some special privs in killing or changing
the priority of the subprocess.

You will have to look at the System Services manual to find out what it's
called, but I know that there is also a "exec"-like routine that overlays all
or part of your address space with a new program image.  The DCL command
interpreter uses this -- that's why RUN with no arguments is so quick -- the
system only has to load the new code into the existing address space, there's
comparitively little system table munging for that.

Anyway, here's what I remember about Eunice (from the manual, I've not seen
the code).  When you want to create a subprocess, check to see if any of the
previously-created process is in hang-around state.  If not, use SYS$CREPRC.
When a subprocess finishes, (i.e., write your own exit() to catch them on
their way out), have them open a mailbox (name it after the PID so the parent
process can open the same one later on).  Have them sit there in a SYS$QIOW
waiting for something to arrive in that mailbox.  When something arrives,
treat the arrival as the name of the program to "exec" (like I said, see
System Services manual for name, there's only one like it).  If it sits there
for more than, say, five minutes, make it exit -- the parent could be gone,
or out of the section of code that was creating lots of subprocesses.  Back
in the parent, who as you've deduced by now must keep a list of what sub-
processes have been created and what state they are in.  In the parent, when
you want to create a subprocess and you know there's one hanging around
reading from a mailbox -- well, of course! You just open the mailbox and
stuff the image name into it.

Is there now vomit aplenty all over your keyboard?  Sorry, that's how it's
done.  VMS has some good points, and this isn't one of them.  Good luck...
--
Paul A. Vixie        {ptsfa, crash, winfree}!vixie!paul
329 Noe Street       dual!ptsfa!vixie!paul@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: IMOSSI@BNLDAG.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Ln03 Plus request
Date: 22 Apr 87 14:35:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Where can I get software for installing an LN03 Plus printer on a Vax, in
particular for font selection and margin control? Also DEC's choice of fonts
is disappointing. You have to buy their font cartridges to have a good
choice.

                Rich Imossi, Brookhaven National Lab
                Physnet:        bnldag::imossi
                bitnet:         imossi@bnldag

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: "Bruce_G._Kahler.rochX2"@XEROX.COM
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: UNIX functions on VAX
Date: 22 Apr 87 14:15:13 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

We are considering various implementation possibilities with DEC
equipment for a project that was prototyped in a UNIX environment (on
ATTminis).  Would appreciate comments on:
	1.  ULTRIX (DEC's UNIX)
	2.  DEC /Shell  or any other UNIX emulators that run under VMS -
functionality, perfoirmance, etc. (Can users be under DCL and the Shell
on the same system?)
	3. The possibility/feasibility of providing UNIX functions like piping
in native-mode VMS.
	4. Anything else you think is relevant.
	Thanks in advance for your input.
	Bruce Kahler
	Xerox Corp.
	Rochester, NY

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: graham@DRCVAX.ARPA ("Daniel J. Graham")
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: VMS ON ULTRIX
Date: 22 Apr 87 15:16:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Got one for ya,

One of our users is working on a government contract where the government
user wants to run VMS on top of ULTRIX.  I don't know why on earth he wants
to do this, but he does, and we need to find out if it is possible.  Does
anyone have any ideas???

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dan Graham
GRAHAM@DRCVAX.ARPA

------

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: "MCCORE::BOLTHOUSE@ti-eg.CSNET"
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: State = RWMPB
Date: 22 Apr 87 14:47:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Resource
Wait
Modified
Page writer
Busy:

This happens when the SWAPPER is trying to flush the modified list to
the [pagefile, swapfile, section file ... depending upon what kind of
page it is ... the swapfile is used if your pagefile(s) are too full].

If you have a program [say a Monte Carlo simulation, or a FORTRAN programmer
accessing 1000 * 1000 complex * 16 arrays in the wrong order :-( ] with
a working set small enough to cause paging, your modified list will quickly
reach MPW_HILIMIT/MPW_WAITLIMIT.  When this happens, the SWAPPER must recover
enough pages to allow use of the modified list again.  It does this by
writing pages.  Of course, this takes a while (I/O is expensive...).  If
a second process produces a modified page during this time, it can't be
added to the already-bloated modified list, so it goes into a resource
wait:  RWMPB.

It is especially nasty when you have a badly-behaved program on the
secondary processor, and the SWAPPER madly trying to write out pages on
the primary.  Mr. Rogers asks, "Can *you* say 'gee, my 8800/83xx appears
to be hung'"?

We have had overly-zealous system managers perform @CRASH from the console
because the system got *so* badly glutted with modified pages it hung for
several seconds. Users then thought their processes were hung, so they did
the 'logical' thing: log in again.  Of course, with many users trying this
simultaneously, we exceeded BALSETCNT, which made the SWAPPER work harder,
which made it hang *even more*, and ... you get the picture.  Several processes
in RWMPB generally means your system has a problem.  Usually, this can be
traced to a badly-behaved application or poorly-balanced page caches (i.e.,
your modified list needs to be bigger!).

david l. bolthouse
texas instruments defense electronics information systems VAX system support

ma bell:  214.952-2059
arpa:     bolthouse%mccore@ti-eg.csnet
csnet:    bolthouse%mccore@ti-eg

disclaimer:  you know by now that my employer thinks i'm silly.

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: ASIDONHO@JHUIGF.BITNET (Would one of these....Refresh your memor...)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: typeahead
Date: 22 Apr 87 17:28:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Reply to Dan Stewart:
I think type ahead should work. There is probably a SET TER or similar
command in your (or system) login that is flushing the typeahead buffer.
-Tom O'Toole

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: MIGLESIAS@UCIVMSA.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: VMS User's Guide
Date: 23 Apr 87 10:17:26 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

We're looking into writing a VMS user's guide and would like to see
what other sites have written.  We're going to use TeX/LaTeX to write
the guide, but we'll take anything we can get to use as examples.
My email addresses are at the end of this message.

Thanks,

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine

BITNET:          miglesias@ucivmsa
Arpa:            iglesias@ics.uci.edu
uucp:            ...ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: GREGOIRE@CLSEPF51.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: (none)
Date: 23 Apr 87 17:02:04 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

        Dear Fellow Netlanders,

Some time ago, someone posted a message on the problems of porting C++ under
VMS. I never saw an answer on the net, and I have lost the original message
(and the address) of that person. However, since I am now facing the same
problem, I must in turn ask if anybody in netland ever tried or succeeded in
doing this port from scratch and would be willing to help me. I am using
C++ 1.2, VMS 4.5 and VAXC 2.2.
Thanks in advance,

                                                        JC.

Jean-Charles Gre'goire
Ecole Polytechnique Fe'de'rale de Lausanne
Laboratoire d'Informatique Technique
16, ch. de Bellerive
CH-1007 Lausanne

GREGOIRE@CLSEPF51.BITNET
gregoire@cernvax.EUNET

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: jkw@a.UUCP (Jay Wooten)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: faster VMS spawn
Date: 23 Apr 87 15:59:12 GMT

Try using SYS$CREPRC to create either sub-processes or detached processes
from within an image -- it will be considerably faster than SPAWN.

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/24/87)

From: jkw@a.UUCP (Jay Wooten)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 23 Apr 87 16:35:27 GMT

> Try using SYS$CREPRC to create either sub-processes or detached processes
> from within an image -- it will be considerably faster than SPAWN.

Almost forgot...Try installing the image(s) you want to run -- this should
also help decrease activation time.

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: TSA@seivax.pnet ("Todd Aven")
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: QMSDEGAS (source, translate Degas to QUIC)
Date: 22 Apr 87 18:21:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Here  is the program I  mentioned that will  take Degas output  on the
Atari ST and  format it  appropriately  for printing on   a  QMS laser
printer. Note that QMS printers  masquerade at times  as Talaris laser
printers. Anything that understands QUIC code should accept the output
of this program, but no promises! I know nothing about Postscript, but
I'm sure someone will modify it to output QUIC *or* Postscript  as  an
option (hint, hint).

Share and enjoy,
Todd Aven
the Softwear Sweatshop

/* QMSDEGAS
 *
 *      Convert a file from Degas format (32034 bytes) to
 *      QMS QUIC 8-bit free format bitmap.
 *
 *      Copyright 1987, Todd Aven
 *      May be freely distributed provided no fee is charged
 *      for its use or possession. Send modifications to
 *
 * Internet:    todd@cincom.umd.edu
 * Bitnet:      todd@umcincom
 *
 * MODIFICATIONS:
 *
 *      This is brand new. If you look for 'MODIFY:' you'll
 *      find suggestions for what to work on next. Please keep
 *      a record of changes, use #ifdef's copiously.
 *
 *      Version 0.1 runs on VAX/VMS. /tsa
 *
 * ORIGINAL AUTHOR:
 *
 *      Todd Aven
 *      the Softwear Sweatshop
 *      7833 Walker Drive, Suite 308
 *      Greenbelt, MD 20770
 *
 */

#include <stdio.h>

/* MODIFY: These 34 bytes represent at least the color palette,
           but exactly how is not known to me. */
#define SKIP_BYTES 34           /* Presently ignore first 34 bytes. */

#define USAGE "\n usage:  qmsdegas <degas file> <qms file>\n\n"

#define QMSHEADER "^PY^-\n"     /* Turns on QUIC commands. */
#define QMSTRAILER "^PN^-\n"    /* Turns 'em off again. */
#define QMSENDLINE "^X\n"       /* Ignore the CRLF. */
#define QMSBEGINLINE "^A"       /* Pay attention to data now. */
#define EIGHTFREE "\n^(^X\n"    /* Go to 8-bit free format mode. */
#define NOEIGHTFREE "^A^)^-\n"  /* No more free format. */
/* MODIFY: Add options for selecting magnification factors. */
#define QMSPLOTSTART "^IP0404^P0640" /* Begin plot mode, 4X expanded.*/
#define QMSPLOTEND "^G"         /* End plot mode. */

main(argc,argv)
     int argc;
     char *argv[];
{
  FILE *infile,*outfile;        /* infile = DEGAS, outfile = QMS */
  char bitmap[400][80],throwaway; /* 400 rows, 640 columns (8 columns/char) */
  register int i,row,column;    /* i is temp, row and column are for bitmap */

  if(argc != 3) {
    fprintf(stderr,USAGE);
    exit ();
  }

  /* Open the DEGAS picture for reading. */
  if( !(infile = fopen (argv[1],"rb"))){
    fprintf (stderr,"\nCouldn't open %s for reading.",argv[1]);
    exit ();
  }

  /* Open the QMS file for writing. */
  if( !(outfile = fopen (argv[2],"wb","rfm=var"))){
    fprintf (stderr,"\nCouldn't open %s for writing.",argv[2]);
    exit ();
  }

  /* Skip the first N bytes. */
  for( i = 0; i < SKIP_BYTES; i++) throwaway = fgetc(infile);

  /* Read DEGAS picture into the bitmap for manipulation. */
  for( row = 0; row < 400; row++){
    for( column = 0; column < 80; column++){
      bitmap[row][column] = fgetc(infile);
    }
  }

  /* Put the preliminary garbage into the QMS file. */
  fprintf(outfile,QMSHEADER);

  /* Put the printer in 8-bit free format. */
  fprintf(outfile,EIGHTFREE);

  /* Put the printer in plot mode. */
  fprintf(outfile,QMSBEGINLINE);
  fprintf(outfile,QMSPLOTSTART);
  fprintf(outfile,QMSENDLINE);

  /* Put the bitmap into the output file. */
  for( row = 0; row < 400; row++){
    fprintf(outfile,QMSBEGINLINE);
    for( column = 0; column < 80; column++){
      fputc(bitmap[row][column],outfile);
      if( bitmap[row][column] == '^' )
        fputc(bitmap[row][column],outfile); /* '^' must be doubled. */
    }
    fprintf(outfile,QMSENDLINE);
  }

  /* End plot mode. */
  fprintf(outfile,QMSBEGINLINE);
  fprintf(outfile,QMSPLOTEND);
  fprintf(outfile,QMSENDLINE);

  /* Kill 8-bit free format */
  fprintf(outfile,NOEIGHTFREE);

  /* Add trailer garbage for the QMS file. */
  fprintf(outfile,QMSTRAILER);

  /* Close the files. */
  fclose(infile);
  fclose(outfile);

  /* All done. */
}

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: "MCCORE::BOLTHOUSE@ti-eg.CSNET"
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: re: fast process creation (SPAWNs)
Date: 22 Apr 87 16:11:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

If you want fast process startup time, there is no better way than to
create processes in advance, and use mailboxes or global sections to
communicate between them.  This is what TPU does, for example, when you
open a DCL window; the DCL subprocess hangs around until you exit TPU.

Detached processes are another way of handling this problem.  If you are
passing lots and lots and lots of logical names and symbols, your SPAWN
performance will suffer dramatically; you can help this by using the JOB
and GROUP logical name tables in some cases.

People have been grousing for years that 'VMS is brain-damaged' because
spawns don't work like fork().  The appropriate solution depends upon what
problem you're trying to solve...sometimes fork() works better than
creating a new process, sometimes not.

Oh -- if you use detached processes, and you don't care about having a CLI
available, that's one of the fastest ways I know to get a process out there:
$ run/det image-name.exe /input=xxx/output=yyy/quota-qualifiers...

Using this, you don't have to map a CLI, set up a bunch of stuff, and go through
LOGINOUT.EXE.  It's probably the fastest way to do it from DCL.  Of course,
from an image (you can use C for this), use the SYS$CREPRC() system service
to accomplish this.  It's much faster that LIB$SPAWN for the unremarkable
reason that's how LIB$SPAWN makes the process in the first place...

Hope this helps.

david l. bolthouse
texas instruments defense electronics information systems VAX system support

ma bell:  214.952.2059
csnet:    bolthouse%mccore@ti-eg
arpa:     bolthouse%mccore@ti-eg.csnet

disclaimer:  nah.  you didn't hear me say anything, did you...

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: SST.D-BIGELOW%KLA.WESLYN@WESLEYAN.BITNET (Douglas Bigelow)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: TCP/IP terminal server access to VAXes
Date: 22 Apr 87 20:02:28 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Wesleyan is replacing a DECSYSTEM-20 with another machine which may end up
being a VAX 8550 or 8700.  If so, we're planning to have access to the machine
be 100% through Ethernet via TCP/IP terminal servers.

We're running the CMU version of Tektronix TCP/IP.  Now, the questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience running 100 or so concurrent users over
   a TCP/IP network to a VAX?  (Via any software, not just Tektronix.)

2) Can anyone guess at the performance penalty we'd pay, compared with using
   straight serial connections via DMF-32s or something?

I know that LAT terminal servers would work much more efficiently, but we
have other non-DEC mainframes which are only accessable through TCP/IP.

Thanks for any opinions or advice you can offer.
-------

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: JOHNC%CAD2.DECnet@ge-crd.arpa
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: IO$SENSEMODE w/ QIO
Date: 22 Apr 87 20:18:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

I am trying to determine from within a Fortran program whether or not the
user has enabled echo, ie $SET TERM/ECHO.  I assign a channel to the terminal
and do an IO$SENSEMODE QIO.  This returns 3 bytes of terminal characteristics,
one bit of which should be set to 1 if the device is set /NOECHO.  The mask
TT$M_NOECHO has all but the correct bit (bit 2) set to 0. (ref p 8-21 and
8-45 IO User's Guide, pt 1)

Here's the relevant part of the code:

	implicit none
	parameter p1size = 8	!size of qiow status buffer
	integer*4 IOSBL(2)
	INTEGER*2 CHANNEL,IOSB(4),P1BUF(4)
	INTEGER*4 SYS$QIOW,RETCODE,SYS$ASSIGN
	EQUIVALENCE (IOSB,IOSBL)
	include '($ttdef)'
	include '($ssdef)'
	include '($iodef)'
	.
	.
	.
	RETCODE = SYS$ASSIGN('TT',CHANNEL,,)
	(check return code for SS$_NORMAL)

	RETCODE = SYS$QIOW(,%VAL(CHANNEL),%VAL(IO$_SENSEMODE),IOSB,,,
	1       %REF(P1BUF),%VAL(P1SIZE),,,,)
	(check return code for SS$_NORMAL)

	print '(1x,z8.8/1x,z8.8)', iosbl(1),iosbl(2)
	if ((iosbl(2) .and. tt$m_noecho) .eq. 0) then
		print *, 'echo is on'
	else
		print *, 'echo is off'
	endif
	.
	.
	.
This code always returns the same values for IOSBL, regardless of whether
the terminal has been set /echo or /noecho.

What am I doing wrong?   Any hints will be appreciated.

								John Child
 	"Hack, hack, hack.  Don't you ever do anything    	General Electric
	 but play with the computer?"	   			Aircraft Engines
				   - a loved one                Lynn, MA

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: herman%nrl.DECnet@NRL3.ARPA ("NRL::HERMAN")
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: VT240 emulation on PC?
Date: 22 Apr 87 21:25:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

>        Have you had any success using SMG$ routines while running on
>a VAXstation (TEK4125 or 4129 emulation)?  If so, I'd like to hear of it.
>For some reason, many of the SMG$ routines (DRAW_BORDER, etc) produce
>mindless drivel on the above terminal, yet work fine on a VT240 or
>a Pc running a VT240 emulator.

Where did you get a VT240 emulator which runs on a PC?  I have been looking
for such software for quite a while.

                                          Charles Herman
------

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: ANK@CUNYVMS1.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: ACP error HEADERFULL message ?
Date: 22 Apr 87 21:43:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Since the past two-three days, we have been having problems on
one of our user-disks

Users get errors doing any file editing related tasks

The message is of the form
ACP-I-CRE file create failed
SYSTEM-HEADERFULL file header full

The manual on System messages and also the RMS file application
messages are vague on this... ??? We are running VMS 4.4 on 11/780

Also SHO DEV DR gives sufficient space free on all disks including
the SYSTEM disk .

Any suggestions as to what is going wrong ? and what to do to prevent
it. ?

                                                Anil

BITNET:ank@cunyvms1
INTERNET:ank%cunyvms1.BITNET@wiscvm.edu

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: donn@CS.UTAH.EDU (Donn Seeley)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Need help with problems using RP07s on a VAX 8600
Date: 22 Apr 87 22:34:20 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

We have two RP07 disk drives left over from a decommissioned DEC-20
installation which we'd like to use on our VAX 8600.  Unfortunately the
EVRAC formatter won't format these disks on the 8600 -- it dies with an
invalid map register error in the massbus adapter status register when
it attempts to format the last cylinder of either RP07.  We were forced
to format instead on a VAX 11/750 (apparently EVRAC can produce
non-interleaved format on the 750, since no multi-sector transfers are
attempted).  This went fine, but when we put the RP07s back on the
8600, we still had trouble.  Some 20%-40% of writes earn an invalid map
register error; this disappears after 1 to 6 retries, however, so all
the writes eventually succeed, just very slowly.  DEC field service has
no idea what might be going on, although they've been quite cooperative.

Some more clues: I reformatted all but the last cylinder of one RP07 on
the 8600, and this didn't seem to have any effect on invalid map
register errors on that drive.  I can copy data from a different drive
to one of the RP07s treating it as raw/foreign empty space, and I don't
get any errors.  If I write sectors in random locations on an RP07,
using lots of seeks, I see 20%-40% of writes fail in the usual way.
There appears to be no pattern to the cylinder/track/sector information
for writes that fail.  We have an RP06 and dual TU78s on the same
massbus; we have no problems formatting or writing the RP06 or
accessing the TU78s, and the RP07s behave the same way if these devices
are removed from the massbus.  I have never seen an actual drive error
from either RP07.  The massbus adapter gets a clean bill of health from
EVCAA; the RP07s pass every standard test of EVRHA except #30, which
fails with a massbus adapter invalid map register error.  The
diagnostics are all at current revision levels.  The RP07s are
correctly strapped for non-interleaved operation and the formatter was
told to expect non-interleaved format.  For what it's worth, the 8600
ordinarily runs 4.3 BSD Unix, and we sometimes boot VMS 4.3 from the
RP06 for diagnostics.

Is there anyone out there who's successfully using RP07s on an 8600?
I'm eager to hear how this can be done.

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@cs.utah.edu
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    utah-cs!donn

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: STEWART_SYS@uta.EDU (Dan Stewart)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: RE: type ahead responses.
Date: 22 Apr 87 13:47:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding enabling typeahead
during login (prior to the "$" prompt).  As it turns out, I do include
the SET TERM/INQUIRE command in my login file which was flushing the
typeahead buffer.  (I wish I'd thought of that...)

Thanks again.

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: AST, Reentrancy, and VMS Higher-Level Languages
Date: 24 Apr 87 13:48:26 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

I've been called to task for a gross over-simplification in a note I wrote on
this topic yesterday, which gives entirely the wrong impression about what the
various higher-level language OTS's support.

In general, the HLL OTS's are AT LEAST AST-reentrant.  (Ada's OTS is fully
reentrant, as it has to be to support the ADA tasking environment.  Pieces of
the VMS RTL are too.)  The main restrictions are in the I/O packages.  To
return to the language mentioned in the question that I was replying to,
FORTRAN I/O can be used at both AST and non-AST level, but you can't access
a given channel at both levels at the same time.  You CAN access distinct
channels.  Most of the FORTRAN procedures - certainly all the things like the
math procedures - are reentrant.  It is quite possible to write AST routines
and AST-driven programs in FORTRAN and have them work.

The Guide to Creating Modular Procedures has 10 pages or so of text in its
"Writing AST Reentrant Code" chapter, and there is related information else-
where in the book; plus, of course, the individual languages have documenta-
tion of their own procedures and restrictions.  No note in this forum can
possibly provide this much detail, nor is any quick one-line rule going to
keep you safe - unless of course it's some sledge-hammer approach like
"Don't use AST's!"
							-- Jerry
-------

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/25/87)

From: SYSRUTH@UTORPHYS.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: VAXstation II/GPX and options
Date: 22 Apr 87 20:19:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

VAXstations are a little tricky for adding options since DEC has very cleverly
filled half the bus slots with glue. The simplest and cheapest way around it
is to buy and expansion box, which is about $3000 (Canadian). It has a couple
of cards with a cable that come with it, and we have and RC running now with
this setup. You may have to wheedle a bit with your sales rep to get one -
DEC hates selling them. You may find an OEM in your area who might have a
couple. Or there is a third-party box we are about to test in the next couple
of days - I can let you know how it works out. Certainly DEC's own works just
fine. This pretty well means you need to rackmount it, but you'd probably
want to put the disk, and possibly the tape as well, in the same rack.
As far as disk and tape drive interfaces are concerned, you have lots of
third-party choices. We get our disk interfaces from System Industries (who
may get  them from Emulex). For system disks we use their QDA50's, for
others we use their 9900 controller. Tape drive interfaces we got from Aviv,
although SI also has the same thing. Note: these are multi-layered boards,
quite thick, loaded with components right out to the edges, and often not
easy to get in. But they work fine. Aviv has them for both STC and PERTEC
protocols; SI/Emulex may as well (although I'm told that STC is faster).
They use the standard DEC TSDRIVER. (Re disks: the QDA uses the standard
DEC DUDRIVER, 9900's use an SI driver).

The other alternative is to replace the backplane so that you have all the
slots available. This is cheaper, but much tougher both to do and to obtain
the parts for. The backplane costs about $500, plus a couple of hours' labour
(and manual-poring). However they are almost impossible to get. Last I heard
DEC was insisting on selling them only in lots of 50. So your only chance
here is OEM/VAR's, and still it's a long shot. I personally would recommend
going with the expansion box. It's cheap, it's easy, and it works. Running
cables may not be as neat and tidy as you might like, but it isn't a total
mess, either.

Any questions, just ask. Oh, the brand X box is made by a company called
Sigma. They also make a BA123-sized box that is *rack-mountable*.

And we run :-) *VMS* on *all* our uVAXes.

Ruth Milner
Systems Manager
University of Toronto Physics
SYSRUTH@UTORPHYS.BITNET

P.S. Those of you planning on being at DECUS next week - I've been trying to
find a time slot with nothing interesting in it. Maybe Wednesday at 6, after
all the sessions are over for the day? Discussion followed and/or over
dinner somewhere? Or I'll be there on Friday evening, as well. Any other
ideas? Please let me know - I would like to co-ordinate something. Check
under INFO-VAX on the message board if you don't see anything on the list.
Looking forward to seeing you all!

uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp) (04/26/87)

From: mcguffey@unc.cs.unc.edu (Michael McGuffey)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax,comp.sys.dec
Subject: redirection of stdio, et al.
Date: 25 Apr 87 20:28:28 GMT

Does anyone know of any tools that allow command line redirection of
stdio under VMS. Something similar to the way unix and msdos does it is
preferable to some of the methods that have previously been proposed.

-mike mcguffey

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: mf@savax.UUCP (Marc Fleischmann)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: VAXstation II/GPX and options
Date: 24 Apr 87 16:34:34 GMT

In article <8704241431.AA16001@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, SYSRUTH@UTORPHYS.BITNET writes:
> VAXstations are a little tricky for adding options since DEC has very cleverly
> filled half the bus slots with glue. The simplest and cheapest way around it

I think that you may be a little mistaken. The VAXstation II/RC (restricted
configuration) WAS sold with a backplane filled with glue, which is why it was
so cheap.  I haven't seen or heard of any GPXs being sold this waY

/marc
--
Marc Fleischmann
Sanders Associates, Inc. - Nashua N.H.  (603) 885-5050

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: GREGG@nemo.math.okstate.EDU (Gregg Wonderly)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Governing CPU use on small VAXen
Date: 23 Apr 87 04:30:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

    One of the things about VMS that frustrates me the most is the strict
priority scheduling of CPU use.  All processes at any priority level share
all of the CPU available to processes executing at that priority.  There is
no facility to lower the scheduling priority of a process based on its
CPU use.  I/O boosts do not help much either because as soon as a process
completes a time quantum without giving up the CPU for I/O or some other
asyncronous event completion, it will loose its boost.  The result is that
commands like DIR, that are I/O bound and CPU bound, spend most of their
time executing as CPU bound processes without I/O priority boosts.

    I manage a 750 that averages between 5 and 10 users during the day
(8am-5pm). This machine has 6 megs of memory, and one RA81. The machine is used
by 2 departments, statistics and mathematics.  The math department is more
theory oriented than application, and so they do not spend a lot of time doing
computational things.  The statistics people on the other hand, have several
graduate students running CPU bound simulations for their masters work.  The
other use of the machine is for TeX.  Most of the math professors use LaTeX to
do their exams up nice and pretty.  Also, there are math folks who use
different parts of MATHLIB (An excellent applied math learning tool that does
graphs and solves DEQ's etc..., written by Kevin Carosso, Dan Newman, and Ned
Freed at Harvey Mudd College, a Claremont college {Your welcome guys} :-)).

    All of these things contribute to a fairly CPU bound job mix when things
get busy.  With strict priority scheduling, it used to take just 2 or 3 TeX'ers
to send response time right through the ceiling.  The statistics folks also
used to occasionally start up one of their simulations at interactive priority
after it had accumulated more than a day of CPU in the batch queue (these folks
were under the impression that it would run in a shorter time period at
interactive priority).

    All this boils down to a lot of complaints from users about response time
during the day.  The statistics folks now use the batch queues, but the TeX'ers
and MATHLIB folks still create problems for those desiring to just log on and
read mail or do some editing.  As a solution to controlling the CPU bound
processes, I wrote a fortran program that I now run as a detached process to
monitor CPU usage.  Processes using the CPU will have their base priority
lowered so that others who are doing commands like DIR, EDIT, DELETE, etc
(which generally use small amounts of CPU), will not notice the CPU bound
processes.

    Certain criterion are used to determine when a process is CPU bound, and
when it isn't (so that it's base priority can be raised).  This process also
watches load averages, and will pause selected batch queues when the load
average reaches a certain level (as discussed eariler in this group, large
working set jobs at low priorities can cause thrashing at higher priorities, so
these types of batch queues can be paused during heavy loads to prevent the
jobs in them from displacing a large number of pages from the free list).

    Using information available with $GETJPI, certain processes are ignored and
not considered.  In particular, all processes in the SYSTEM groups are ignored,
as are processes running with BYPASS priv, as are non-interactive processes.
Currently, I use a 7 second interval to examine the jobs.  With this interval,
the process uses less than 1% of the CPU, which I feel is acceptable.

    I am interested in hearing comments about other solutions that other sites
have to controlling CPU use on small VAXen.  I have heard from other sources
that the 8xxx machines do not degrade at the same rate as the 7xx machines (by
comparison of relative speed and performance).  Have others, who have experience
with switching from a 7xx machine to an 8xxx machine, had the same experience?

Please send comments to me and I will summarize to the group if the responses
warrant it.

Gregg Wonderly
Department of Mathematics
Oklahoma State University

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Submission for mod-computers-vax
Date: 23 Apr 87 03:10:59 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

From: paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp,comp.org.decus,mod.computers.vax,comp.sources.wanted
Date: 21 Apr 87 18:52:33 GMT

From: uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 23 Apr 87 02:35:35 GMT
Sender: uucp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

From: harry@uw-atm.UUCP (Harry Edmon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec,mod.computers.vax

From: uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 23 Apr 87 03:08:59 GMT
Sender: uucp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

From: cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec,mod.computers.vax
Date: 22 Apr 87 03:48:21 GMT

uucp@uvacs.UUCP.UUCP (04/26/87)

From: jkw@a.UUCP (Jay Wooten)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: IO$SENSEMODE w/ QIO
Date: 24 Apr 87 15:51:45 GMT

> 	if ((iosbl(2) .and. tt$m_noecho) .eq. 0) then
	     ^^^^^^^^

	You are looking in the wrong place -- the terminal characteristic
	info is in the 2nd longword of the P1 buffer, not in the IOSB.

uucp@uvacs.UUCP.UUCP (04/26/87)

From: A3617@UWOCC1.BITNET (" no name ")
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: VT200 download character set
Date: 22 Apr 87 05:36:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

hi. i would like a copy of your download program. please send it to

    rjones@uwovax    on BITNET.

thanks in advance........rich jones.

uucp@uvacs.UUCP.UUCP (04/26/87)

From: dunnett@mala.bcc.CDN (Malcolm Dunnett)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Ultrix 32m and Decserver 200s
Date: 24 Apr 87 18:51:17 GMT
Sender: usenet@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

I'm trying to use some Decserver 200s with Ultrix 32m. The Vax
seems to start LAT protocol (lcp -d seems to say the right things ), but
the Decserver isn't seeing the node or service offered. The server is
seeing a service offered by a VMS system, so it seems to be working ok.

When I do a lcp -c on the microvax all the counters are 0.  The deqna
seems to be functioning (I can do a Boot XQ and it loads the file ).

I don't know much about Ultrix, I'm following the examples in the
documentation. Any suggestions about what to try next would be much appreciated.

Malcolm Dunnett
Malaspina College.

uucp@uvacs.UUCP.UUCP (04/26/87)

From: uucp@hslrswi.UUCP (Uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 24 Apr 87 19:20:58 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Since the bard class is now separate, I don't worry about "changing classes."

From: myos@mipos3
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Graphics driver help
Date: 21 Apr 87 12:12:51 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

 Hello VMS user,

     Who made graphics driver for VT240 terminal on VMS 4.x?
  If the source format is PostScript or TeX, it is the best.
  Anyway I want to get information about the application
  for VT240.

  Regards
                           Masataka Yoshikawa (Intel Japan, Tsukuba)

uucp@uvacs.UUCP.UUCP (04/26/87)

From: wfc@unh.UUCP (William F. Costa)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 23 Apr 87 00:45:37 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

     I'm new to the NET, so I can't help feeling  a  little  nervous  about
     this,  my  first  contribution.   However,  a  number of letters about
     defining 'new' commands for VMS users has struck a cord, so here's  my
     two-cents on the subject.

     At the University of New Hampshire  (UNH)  we've  added  quite  a  few
     home-grown  programs  as  well  as  the usual second-party stuff (SAS,
     SPSSX, System 1032, etc.) Since not everybody uses these products,  we
     do  not  automatically  make  them  available  for  all  users.   This
     obviously helps keep the system login  file  a  reasonable  size  (and
     duration).  However, we did create one new command that all users get,
     it's called "SETUP".  Essentially, if a user wants to  access  any  of
     these non-native VMS programs, they simply ask for it:

               $ SETUP S1032

     This will define S1032 (System 1032) as a command for the remainder of
     their terminal session.  (Those users who use such applications day in
     and day out can simply place this command into their  own  LOGIN.COM.)
     We  feel  that  this  approach makes access to these 'new' commands as
     easy as possible for the users who need it, while  at  the  same  time
     limiting the overhead for everyone else.  We also hope that doing this
     helps reinforce the fact that what they have just ask  for  is  NOT  a
     normal  part  of  VMS, but rather a tool that UNH has added.  (This is
     also why we put  the  help  information  for  these  programs  into  a
     separate  HELP library and keep the Digital supplied version as virgin
     as possible.)

     By the way, the SETUP program is dirt simple.  Right now it is  simply
     a command procedure that, when asked to 'setup' the program FRED, will
     search a particular system directory for the  file  "FRED.SETUP".   If
     the  file  does  NOT  exist,  the  user  is told that there is no such
     command as FRED, and  that  they  should  check  their  spelling.   If
     FRED.SETUP  is  found, it is simply "@'d".  In other words, FRED.SETUP
     is itself a command procedure that will do WHATEVER IT TAKES  to  make
     FRED a command for the user.  (For some programs, it may mean defining
     a dozen or so logicals  and  inserting  the  command  into  their  DCL
     command  table.  For others, it may be as simple as defining a symbol;
     "FRED :== @UTL:FRED.COM").

     We've added a few other bells and whistles, but I think  you  get  the
     general  idea.   If  you  have any more questions, please feel free to
     contact me directly, I'd be happy to  supply  the  current  source  to
     SETUP.COM  as  well  as documentation that we've written for our users
     about it.

                                             Bill Costa
                                             Academic Services Group
                                             UNH Computer Services
                                             Durham, New Hampshire

         Standard disclaimer:  I deny my own existence.  If you ask anybody
         at UNH who this turkey is, they'll just say: "Bill WHO?".

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: pep@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: vms mail utility
Date: 23 Apr 87 14:30:41 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Is there a callable routine to invoke vms mail?

Thank You in advance,

Patricia Patchett
DEC Systems Software
Mitre Corporation
Bedford, MA

uucp@uvacs.UUCP.UUCP (04/26/87)

From: uucp@hslrswi.UUCP (Uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 24 Apr 87 21:22:33 GMT
Sender: uucp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

M!,,I!->I;8
From: RUTH@HUJIAGRI.BITNET (Ruth Peled)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: APPLICATIONS GENERATOR
Date: 22 Apr 87 15:20:06 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Does anyone know of a reasonably intelligent Applications Generator
available through DECUS or sold at a reasonable price?
Thank you for answering
Ruth Peled
Hebrew University, Agricultural Faculty
Rehovot, ISRAEL 76100.

uucp@uvacs.UUCP.UUCP (04/26/87)

From: uucp@hslrswi.UUCP (Uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 25 Apr 87 00:49:49 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

DM thoughts and actions:

From: cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec,mod.computers.vax

From: HANEWINK@DM0MPB51.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: executing commands on remote nodes
Date: 23 Apr 87 23:20:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Some days ago J.Leichter posted a short command file for a remote
SHOW NET server. To manage 4 micro VAXes I use a more flexible version
to execute commands on a remote node. It executes any VMS command on
one or all remote nodes.
It consists of a sender (XREMOTE.COM) and the remote server (RECEIVE.COM),
which has to be in your login directory on the remote node or in the
DECNET default directory (if you have'nt proxy accounts).
The wildcard option requires a logical name which has to be defined in
the following form:

          $define MPI$ALL_NODES "node1::node2::node3::node4::"

On our site it is a system wide logical name on all nodes.
Here are the two procedures:

$! XREMOTE   execute a command on one or all remote nodes
$!       created  28-mar-87  H.Hanewinkel
$!
$!       P1   receiving node or * (for all nodes)
$!            for all nodes the logical name MPI$ALL_NODES has to be
$!            defined
$!       P2   command line for remote node
$!
$!       eg.: @xremote DOCMIC::sho que /all/full
$!            @xremote *::sho err
$!
$ set noon
$ if P1 .eqs. "" then inquire P1 "_node"
$ if f$locate("::",p1) .eq. 0 then p1 = p1 + "::"
$ l = f$locate("::",p1)
$ if f$length(p1) .gt. l + 2 then p2 = f$extract(l+2,f$length(p1)-l-2,p1) -
                                  + " " + p2
$ p1 = f$extract(0,l+2,p1)
$ prom = "_" + f$extract(0,l,p1) + "_$ "
$ if P2 .eqs. "" then inquire /nopunctation p2 "''prom'"
$!
$ if p1 .eqs. "*::" then goto all
$ remote = p1
$ gosub senrem
$X1:
$ set on
$ exit
$!---------------------------
$all:
$ node = f$trnlnm("SYS$NODE")
$ cnt = 0
$next:
$ remote = f$element(cnt,":",f$trnlnm("MPI$ALL_NODES")) + "::"
$ if remote .eqs "::" then goto x1
$ cnt = cnt + 2
$ if node .eqs. remote then goto next
$ write sys$output "%XREMOTE-I- executing on node ''remote'"
$ gosub senrem
$ goto next
$! -------
$SENREM:
$ open/write net 'remote'"task=receive"
$ write net "''p2' ''p3' ''p4' ''p5' ''p6' ''p7' ''p8'"
$LOOP:
$ read/end=enet/err=enet net line
$ write sys$output line
$ goto loop
$ENET:
$ close net
$ return

$! RECEIVE.COM remote command server,
$! executes commands received from a remote node
$!    created 27-mar-1987 H. Hanewinkel
$!
$ set noon
$ open/write net sys$net    ! open the link
$ read net line            ! get the command
$ define sys$output net        ! send output there
$ define sys$error  net
$ 'line'            ! execute the command
$ deassign sys$output        ! disconnect
$ deassign sys$error        !  link
$ close net            !
$ exit                !  and exit

Herbert Hanewinkel                         hanewink@dm0mpb51
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Biochemie
D-803plim
ta1986Dis

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: art@MITRE.ARPA (Art McClinton)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 23 Apr 87 16:35:20 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Depends on what you are willing to accept:
1) You can buy a Q5 MVII and do a GPX upgrade.
2) Unless you have other options that you have not yet described you can
possible buy a non FCC compliant MV II by getting DEC to sell you the
GPX workstation and then have local field service add the remaining cabnets
and disk/tape in the field.  This route requires that sales get field service
to buy off on the configuration.  BTW-you will not be able to close the back
door of the MVII if you go this route.  Also probably will not be able to
watch the soaps in the same room.

*
*---Art
*
*Arthur T. McClinton Jr.     ARPA: ART@MITRE.ARPA
*Mitre Corporation MS-Z305   Phone: 703-883-6356
*1820 Dolley Madison Blvd    Internal Mitre: ART@MWVMS or M10319@MWVM
*McLean, Va. 22102           DECUS DCS: MCCLINTON
*

  =-=- This note is in response to yours which follows -=-=

From: EWR@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Betsy Ramsey)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: REPLY/DISABLE on the Console
Date: 23 Apr 87 16:01:51 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

	There were some messages earlier that pointed out that you
	can disable some OPCOM messages on the console by using
	commands

		$ DEFINE/USER SYS$COMMAND OPA0
		$ REPLY/DISABLE=whatever

	This also appears to prevent the messages from appearing
	in the OPERATOR.LOG file.

	Is there some way to inhibit them on the console but still
	get them in the OPERATOR.LOG file?

	What I really want to do is get my SECURITY messages logged
	somewhere other than the console.  If I could log them to
	the file of my choice, that would be nice.  Any way to do that?

	Betsy Ramsey
	American Mathematical Society
	Providence, RI
	401-272-9500

	Arpa: EWR@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
-------

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: nagy%43198.hepnet@LBL.ARPA
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Reading .EXE version information
Date: 23 Apr 87 19:34:28 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

I recently saw an article on reading version information from the .EXE
file.  I have since lost the reference or message (I assume I saw it
on Info_VAX).  If I did see it on Info_VAX, could someone please send
me a copy of the message/source code or a reference to where I might
have seen it.

Thanks (a few more bits lost from the old brain...)

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: RMALOUF@SBCCMAIL.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Disk fragmentation and tape handling
Date: 23 Apr 87 19:59:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

                       Stony Brook, NY 11794-5000

                                          Robert Malouf
                                          RMALOUF@SBCCMAIL.BITNET
                                          Marine Sciences

                                          23-Apr-1987 03:49pm EDT
FROM:  RMALOUF

TO:  Remote Addressee                     ( _INFO-VAX@SRI-KL.ARPA )
CC:  George E. Carroll                    ( GECARROLL )

SUBJECT: Disk fragmentation and tape handling

Hello,

     What are your feelings about the various methods of disk
defragmentation?  How important is it? What are are the public domain and
third party products available to do it?  Can it be done with plain VMS?

     In an unrelated vein, is there any way to record the amount of time a
user has a tape mounted?  VMS seems to just record the number of tape
mounts.  We have tried some schemes that wrote a time stamp to a file
whenever a user ALLOCATEd or DEALLOCATEd the tape drive, but they were very
messy.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Is there a PD (both kinds) solution?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

                                        Thanks in advance,
                                            Rob Malouf
                                            RMALOUF@SBCCMAIL.BITNET
                                            State University of New York
                                                at Stony Brook

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: SERAFINI%RAL@AMES-IO.ARPA
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: VMS/RMS question
Date: 23 Apr 87 21:33:08 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

info-vaxers,

I feel foolish for asking this question, but I've looked everywhere I know
and can't find a solution.

How can I find out if a file is readable or writable given the current
process' priveleges?  I've tried F$File_Attributes to get the protection
string, but I found the gotcha that a file can have read protection set,
but the directory file that contains the file doesn't. Obviously, having to
check read protection on every directory in the path is a real hassle,
especially from DCL.  Is there some system service I don't know about
that combines all the processing necessary to achieve this? I know it's
non-trivial, and I assume that it's been done but I just haven't learned
yet.  The problem also exists for trying to write files.  Is there a better
solution than opening the file and testing for failure?

Thanks much.
Dave Serafini
Sterling Software
NASA/Ames Research Center

serafini%ral@ames-io.arpa   or RAL::SERAFINI (SPAN node 24.6)

uucp@uvacs.UUCP.UUCP (04/26/87)

From: rmb059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.GOV
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: VAX Speed
Date: 23 Apr 87 21:08:05 GMT
Sender: uucp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

What's a good number for the Megaflop rating of an 8600?

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: JOHN@UKANVAX.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: TERMSET.COM (RE: typeahead)
Date: 23 Apr 87 21:46:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Warning:  Long message -- 143 lines (includes program) Sorry! :-)

Several people have asked how I get the terminal type in english after I do
a SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE.

Well, it's called BRUTE FORCE.

I have included my TERMSET.COM in this message for your enjoyment.

TERMSET first tries to do a SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE.  If you are on a DECish
terminal, this will work and a message will be diplayed telling you the
terminal type has been set.  If the SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE does not work,
TERMSET will ask you to enter the terminal type.  At this prompt you can
either:  1)  Type "?" to see a list of terminals TERMSET knows about
or       2)  Type just RETURN to not set the terminal type
or       3)  Type some letters that are unique to the name of one of the
             terminals TERMSET knows about.  (like 3A for "ADDS 3A+")
TERMSET not only sets the VMS terminal type, but also sets up EMACS$TERMINAL
for EMACS.

                                          John Thywissen

My "TERMSET.COM" follows:       (forgive the semi-legalistic mumbo-jumbo)
(more ramblings at end)
-----------------------Cut here for TERMSET.COM------------------------------
$ !
$ !  T E R M S E T   v1.1   Set terminal type
$ !
$ !  COPYRIGHT (C) 1987, John Adam Thywissen, Few Rights Reserved
$ !
$ GOTO START
$ !DATES:  Started:    02 Nov 86
$ !
$ !    the  SET TERMINAL DEVICE_TYPE and the EMACS "EMACS$TERMINAL" logical
$ !    name.
$ !
$ !METHOD OF SOLUTION:  It tries to to a SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE, but if that does
$ !    not work (meaning the terminal is not a DEC), it asks the user for the
$ !    terminal type.
$ !
$ !SIDE-EFFECT:  MESSAGE is set to the full message (F-S-I, text).  Needs to
$ !    be fixed someday.
$ !
$ !PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE:  VAX/VMS DCL
$ !OPERATING SYSTEM:  VAX/VMS  v4.4
$ !
$ !AUTHOR:  John A. Thywissen
$ !         Current UserID:  KUHUB::JOHN
$ !                          JOHN@UKANVAX.BITNET
$ !
$ !AVAILABILITY:  This program may be freely distributed and modified
$ !    under certain conditions:
$ !    1.  Proper credit must be given and all modifiers must insert
$ !    their name in the header.
$ !    2.  Modifications must be commented and a copy of the modified
$ !    code must be sent to the author.
$ !    3.  This program may not be used for any coursework.  Copying
$ !    this program, in part or in whole, for such purposes is plagiarism,
$ !    a violation of university regulations.
$ !
$ START:
$ TERMTYPES = "UNKNOWN/VT05/VK100/VT173/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/FT1/FT2"+-
"/FT3/FT4/FT5/FT6/FT7/FT8/24/25/26/27/28/29/30/31/LA36/LA120/LA34/LA38"+-
"/LA12/LA24orLA100/LQP02/LA84/LA210/LN03/LN01K/LA80/44/45/46/47/48/49/50/51"+-
"/52/53/54/55/56/57/58/59/60/61/62/63/VT52/VT55/66/67/68/69/7/71/72/73/74/75"+-
"/76/77/78/79/80/81/82/83/84/85/86/87/88/89/9/91/92/93/94/95/VT100/VT101"+-
"/VT102/VT105/VT125/VT131/VT132/VT80/104/105/106/107/108/109/VT200_Series"+-
"/PRO_Series/112/113"
$ SET NOON
$ SET MESSAGE/NOFACILITY/NOSEVERITY/NOIDENTIFICATION/NOTEXT
$ SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE
$ SAVSEV = $SEVERITY
$ SET ON
$ SET MESSAGE/FACILITY/SEVERITY/IDENTIFICATION/TEXT
$ IF SAVSEV THEN GOTO DECTERM
$ SET ON
$ SET MESSAGE/FACILITY/SEVERITY/IDENTIFICATION/TEXT
$ TERMLIST="MICROBEE /ADDS 3A+ /VIP 7200 /H19      /DEC VT52 /"
$ READIN:
$ INQUIRE TERMTYPE "Enter terminal type (? for list)"
$ TERMTYPE = F$EDIT(TERMTYPE, "TRIM, UPCASE")
$ IF TERMTYPE .EQS. "" THEN GOTO END
$ IF TERMTYPE .NES. "?" THEN GOTO BRCL
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT TERMLIST
$ GOTO READIN
$ BRCL:
$ N = F$LOCATE(TERMTYPE,TERMLIST)/10
$ GOTO T'N'
$ T0:
$ SET TERMINAL/DEVICE_TYPE=FT1
$ DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "MICROB"
$ GOTO END
$ T1:
$ SET TERMINAL/DEVICE_TYPE=FT2
$ DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "ADDS3A"
$ GOTO END
$ T2:
$ SET TERMINAL/DEVICE_TYPE=FT3
$ DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "VIP7200"
$ GOTO END
$ T3:
$ SET TERMINAL/DEVICE_TYPE=UNKNOWN
$ DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "H19"
$ GOTO END
$ T4:
$ SET TERMINAL/DEVICE_TYPE=VT52
$ DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "VT52"
$ GOTO END
$ T5:
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Unknown Terminal Type: ''TERMTYPE'"
$ GOTO READIN
$ END:
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT -
"Terminal type "+F$ELEMENT(F$GETDVI(F$GETJPI("","TERMINAL"),"DEVTYPE"),"/", -
TERMTYPES) + "  (EMACS " + F$TRNLNM("EMACS$TERMINAL") + ")"
$ EXIT
$ DECTERM:
$ DT = F$GETDVI(F$GETJPI("","TERMINAL"),"DEVTYPE")
$ IF DT .EQ. 33 THEN DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "LA120"
$ IF DT .EQ. 2 THEN DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "GIGI"
$ IF DT .EQ. 64 THEN DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "VT52"
$ IF DT .EQ. 96 .OR. DT .EQ. 97 .OR. DT .EQ. 98 .OR. DT .EQ. 99 THEN DEFINE -
 EMACS$TERMINAL "VT100"
$ IF DT .EQ. 100 THEN DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "VT125"
$ IF DT .EQ. 102 THEN DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "VT132"
$ IF DT .EQ. 110 .OR. DT .EQ. 111 THEN DEFINE EMACS$TERMINAL "VT2XX"
$ GOTO END
-----------------------End of TERMSET.COM------------------------------

TERMSET is set up for KU's system.  We have FT1, FT2, and FT3 set up for
MICROBEEs, ADDS 3A+s, and HONEYWELL VIP 7200s respectively.  Since it is
unlikely that anyone else has as cheap terminals as we do, you will need to
change this for your non-DEC terminals.  To do so, modify the TERMLIST=
line to have your terminal names seperated by slashes.  The spacing between
the slashed MUST NOT CHANGE.  9 characters between slashes exactly.  Then
the code after the "T0" to "Tn" labels should be changed to do the proper
things for each of your terminals.  Note that the T(n+1) lable should have the
error handling stuff.

                             Have fun,
                               John

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: cetron%ced@CS.UTAH.EDU (Ed Cetron)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 24 Apr 87 06:18:07 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

	I disagree with ruth to go with vaxstation gpx small box and an
expander.  I found that going with a gpx ba123 and NO expander just a rack
for the big disk and tape was a big plus - you have all the slots you need,
you can add big 5.25 disks (i here the maxtor is really nice) and it is MUCH
easier to work on then the ba23 styles (i know, we have many of each).

	As for get together, a start will be sunday night at the decus
reception around the rsx table  just look for the short balding gentleman with
a mustache, glasses and several drinks in his hands :-)

-ed

uucp@uvacs.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/26/87)

From: x_haraldsen%use.uio.uninett@TOR.NTA.NO (Tore Haraldsen USE/UiO)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Timeout errors on DMZ-32
Date: 25 Apr 87 08:59:47 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

In a letter, McGuire_Ed%GRINNELL.MailNet@MIT-MULTICS.arpa complains
about timeout errors when typing large bodies of text.

We have observed differences here between standard Dec terminal interfaces
and a 32-port card for Net/One from UngermannBass.
Try twiddling the /TTSync terminal parameter, and check the setting
of /Hostsync and /Readsync parameters. I bet your problem will disappear
with a $ SET TERM /TTSync/NoHostSync/NoReadSync setting ...

uucp@uvabick.UUCP.UUCP (04/27/87)

From: jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp,comp.org.decus,mod.computers.vax,comp.sources.wanted
Date: 24 Apr 87 14:01:23 GMT

We've been using a technique similar to what you've described for
the same reasons (speed).  While I can't post any source, we did
use C and I can describe the general technique.

I should first point out the difference between LIB$SPAWN and
SYS$CREPRC.  LIB$SPAWN creates effectively a copy of your DCL
session, including all current symbols and process logical names.
(It does NOT execute your LOGIN.COM file to do this, however,
and so is not quite as slow as an actual logon).  SYS$CREPRC
just runs a process; it does not have any symbols or process
logicals defined when it starts up.  Since for our application
it was quite important that the user's "context" of symbols
and logicals was maintained, we used LIB$SPAWN.

The actual process of getting LIB$SPAWN to stay around is quite
simple.  We simply set up a mailbox for the input device of
LIB$SPAWN and sent mail commands down to it.  We also set up a
"status" mailbox, whose purpose is to return status information and
also to synchronise the parent and child processes.  These mailboxes
were manipulated using $QIO calls, because they often must be asynchronous.

To execute a command in the child session, the command is written to
the input mailbox, followed by a command to write the $STATUS symbol
to the status mailbox, and then the parent reads from the status
mailbox (which blocks the parent until the child finishes).  In case
the child gets into trouble and aborts, we also use the termination
AST of LIB$SPAWN which will cancel the status mailbox in order to
unblock the parent.  Note that this whole technique assumes that
what is being run are DCL commands.

Here are some other points of interest:
- If not interactive, you also need to set up a mailbox for
standard output and echo it onto the parent's standard output.
This can be useful anyways if you want to control where the output
goes (e.g. if in a window environment).
- Prior to sending down commands, we found it useful to send down
a few other commands to redirect the TT and SYS$INPUT files back
to the parent's input (otherwise they point to the input mailbox).
- Terminal ASTs (control-Y, control-T) are a problem. There's been
some discussion of these problems recently in the net; I just know
that our code still has a few glitches due to errant control-Y's
in particular.

I hope this is of some help in your application.

usenet@gec-rl-hrc.co.UK.UUCP (04/27/87)

From: trw@hrc63.co.uk (Trevor Wright Marconi Baddow)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: current  <<modern>> backup ideas for VAXclusters
Date: 27 Apr 87 12:14:11 GMT

If you ask DEC for their suggested backup technology for VAXclusters
where you might have multiple RA81's or SA482's they reply TU78's and
similar which cost a small fortune.

Can anyone suggest more modern equipments to solve the thorny backup
problem WHICH ARE RELIABLE AND PROVEN...

How about some of the Megatape products I see (650Mb a cartridge??) or
WORM optical discs...what are big cluster sites doing now.

Thanks

Trevor Wright
GEC Research
Chelmsford UK

yc23%a.gec-mrc.co.uk@ucl-cs    for arpanet mailers

pb@PUFF.WISC.EDU (PB Schechter) (04/27/87)

From: pb@puff.WISC.EDU (PB Schechter)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax,comp.sys.dec
Subject: Floating point faults vs. traps
Date: 27 Apr 87 17:36:12 GMT

According to the VAX Architecture Reference Manual, floating point exceptions
can either be traps (which occur AFTER the instruction's completion) or faults
(which occur BEFORE its completion, and leave the instruction restartable, if
the faulting condition is removed).  I'm trying to figure out what determines
whether a particular exception will be a fault or a trap, with no success
 (i.e., I can find no explanation in the ARM).  My speculation is that, in
the general case, you get a fault, and that only if the trace trap bit (#4) in
the PSL is set to you get a trap.  My reasoning is that it's nicer to be able
to restart an incorrect operation and get things right, then to just know
that things went wrong--except when you're debugging, and you want to see
EXACTLY what went wrong.  However, this is pure speculation on my part:
I have been unable to confirm it.  In addition, of all the 10 arithmetic
exceptions, only the floating point exceptions have both traps and
faults--the rest have only traps.  This seems to contradict my theory,
unless it's more difficult to avoid writing results for integer and decimal
string instructions--I don't see why it should be.

So, if anyone can enlighten me, I will be greatly appreciative.

pb@pipe.wisc.edu

PB Schechter
U. Wisconsin
Dept. Computer Sciences
1210 W. Dayton St.
Madison, Wisc. 53706

sme%faron@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Susan M Elbeery) (04/27/87)

From: sme@faron.UUCP (Susan M Elbeery)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo,mod.computers.vax
Subject: Apollo node wants to call VAX VMS and auto-login
Date: 27 Apr 87 19:43:56 GMT

Help.

I need a terminal emulation package for communicating between
an Apollo node and a VAX VMS system.  KERMIT is good enough
for straight file transfers, but I need something more
sophisticated so that I can run programs on the VAX from
scripts that are written on the Apollo.  Apollo has a program
like this for the HP called EMTHP.  Ideally, I would be able to
specify character strings to look for (like "login: ") and a
response (like "rjd").  Something that often falls under the
heading "Auto-login".

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Send mail to this account or to me,

Robert DeBenedictis
2 Park Plaza, Seventh Floor
Boston. MA    02116

(617) 451-3430

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: ted@blia.UUCP (Ted Marshall)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 23 Apr 87 16:11:02 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

In article <780@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, tedcrane@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ted Crane) writes:
> Problems:
> 	Someone has to learn how to create sharable image.  Easy enough,
> 	look in the linker manual.

Maybe not so easy of a lot of people. The linker manual leaves out a lot
of details for the non-VMS-system-hack. At the Fall 1986 DECUS
Symposium, I presented a paper titled "Ins and Out of VMS Shareable
Images" that I think makes the job a little easier. It is printed in the
Proceedings of the symposium (page 535). (If someone really needs to see
this and can't get ahold of a copy of the Proceedings, send me a message
(e-mail addresses below) with your paper-mail address and I will mail
you a photo-copy. Please, only if you really need it.)

P.S. I recommend that you get the printed paper instead of the audio
tape of my presentation. In addition to incorporating several points
brought up in the question & answer section, I really do write better
than I publicly speak.

            Ted Marshall
            Britton Lee, Inc.
p-mail:     14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030
voice:      (408)378-7000
uucp:       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted
ARPA:       mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
disclaimer: These opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my employer;
            I leave them alone and they leave me alone.

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: ted@blia.UUCP (Ted Marshall)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: VAXBI-Ethernet controller
Date: 24 Apr 87 00:51:36 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

The Digital Review, April 20, 1987 issue, page 3 notes that the Local Area
VAX Cluster software doesn't work on the VAXBI-Ethernet controller (DEBNA?)
and DEC is requiring VAX 8[23578]00 customers to buy a Unibus adaptor
(DWBUA) and a DELUA.

My understanding was that except for 802.3 protocol usage, the DEUNA, DEQNA,
DELUA and the DEBNA(?) had exactly the same QIO interface and a program that
correctly uses one will work fine on any of the others. I am interested in
this because I support an XNS ACP that uses the XE/XQ/ET driver. I has been
tried at one or more customer sites with DEBNAs and seems to work ok but I'd
really like to know what the difference is so I can be sure that it won't
cause me problems.

Anyone know exactly why LAVC doesn't like the DEBNA?

From: YATES@a.chem.upenn.EDU ("John H. Yates")
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: disk squeezer
Date: 25 Apr 87 04:35:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

 I too am interested in an on-line disk unfragmentter. The few messages
I have seen here seem pessimistic about their reliability. Since it is
unlikely we will purchase such a product, and JUICER seems to be a
public domain version, I would like to hear about user experiences
with it, and perhaps obtain a copy of it.
 Thanks,
 John

uucp@edison.ge.COM.UUCP (04/28/87)

From: hamm@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: RE: SETUP
Date: 25 Apr 87 05:02:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Bill Costa at UNH describes their SETUP utility.  I found this interesting
because it's nearly identical to a utility we implemented at the European
Molecular Biology Lab (EMBL), for all the same reasons.  (Actually, we borrowed
the idea from someone at a British University - wonder how many other
implementations there are?)  Our version was called PREPARE (usually PREP).

We did go through a couple of evolution cycles on the thing, though:

     By the way, the SETUP program is dirt simple.  Right now it is  simply
     a command procedure that, when asked to 'setup' the program FRED, will
     search a particular system directory for the  file  "FRED.SETUP".   If
     the  file  does  NOT  exist,  the  user  is told that there is no such
     command as FRED, and  that  they  should  check  their  spelling.   If
     FRED.SETUP  is  found, it is simply "@'d".  In other words, FRED.SETUP
     is itself a command procedure that will do WHATEVER IT TAKES  to  make
     FRED a command for the user.  (For some programs, it may mean defining
     a dozen or so logicals  and  inserting  the  command  into  their  DCL
     command  table.  For others, it may be as simple as defining a symbol;
     "FRED :== @UTL:FRED.COM").

The first change was that we wrote a program instead of a command procedure,
because people usually put PREPAREs in their login.coms and got tired of
waiting for them.  We then had a file (called a "prepare dictionary") which
contained a single-line command for each "prepare environment".  Usually
these were things like "@some.com", but they were also allowed to be
SET COMMANDs or single definitions of some sort.  Since the things were
not required to sit in one directory, this also gave us a mechanism to
provide global access to things the systems group were not maintaining -
we'd just point the prepare command at some user's setup procedure, and
let him/her do all the work.

This worked well, but the list of environments grew, and the thing was again
too slow.  Finally we made the dictionary file indexed, and wrote a small
PREPUTIL to add/remove things from it. This was less convenient than having
just a text file, but sure was faster.  As far as I know, this is the version
they're currently running.

By the way, all this "we" stuff I keep saying was mainly Roy Omond - I just
watched and made helpful noises ("It's too slow, Roy!").

Whatever the implementation, I certainly agree with Bill that this is an
ideal way to avoid defining everything for everyone.  It also provides a
lazy way out of the problem which occurs when two third-party packages
define the same symbol differently.  You just tell people to prepare only
one of them at a time.  (Beats workin'!)

Who else has implementations of SETUP/PREPARE, and how do they differ from
these two?

Greg Hamm
Director, Rutgers Molecular Biology Computing Lab

hamm@biovax.rutgers.edu
hamm@biovax.bitnet

------

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: Disk fragmentation and tape handling
Date: 25 Apr 87 09:59:07 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

 >      What are your feelings about the various methods of disk
 > defragmentation?  How important is it? What are are the public domain and
 > third party products available to do it?  Can it be done with plain VMS?

There are a number of them.  How important they are depends strongly on
how fragmented your disk is: if you made a copy of your system on an RMO3
with little fragmentation when you installed VMS 4.5, you don't have to
worry about defragmenting it (since there isn't enough extra space to get
fragmented);  if you've got a user disk that has ancient files removed
regularly and that tends to be fully utilized and to have some large files
on it, defragmentation can make the disk work A LOT better. To defragment
the disk using only VMS, you do an image backup and restore of the disk.

uucp@edison.ge.COM.UUCP (04/28/87)

From: nagy%43198.hepnet@LBL.ARPA
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: REPLY/DISABLE
Date: 25 Apr 87 13:49:48 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

>        $ DEFINE/USER SYS$COMMAND OPA0
>        $ REPLY/DISABLE=whatever
>
>    This also appears to prevent the messages from appearing
>    in the OPERATOR.LOG file.

This does not stop logging the messages in OPERATOR.LOG.  We do this
at startup for SECURITY and later recover the security messages from
the operator log using the SECAUDIT procedure with no problems.

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: nagy%43198.hepnet@LBL.ARPA
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Clarification on reading version information from .EXE
Date: 25 Apr 87 13:51:36 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Hm, seems I need to clarify my earlier request a bit:

 > I recently saw an article on reading version information from the .EXE
 > file.  I have since lost the reference or message (I assume I saw it
 > on Info_VAX).  If I did see it on Info_VAX, could someone please send
 > me a copy of the message/source code or a reference to where I might
 > have seen it.

I remember seeing, quite recently, a note with some code to allow a
program to read the version information from its own .EXE file directly
(i.e., ANALYZE/IMAGE is not used, this is done by the .EXE itself when
it is executing).  I don't remember where I saw this and am assuming it
was on Info-VAX and got "lost" when deleting a flurry of messages.

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: KRICE@UKANVAX.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: VT-240 Emulation on a PC (& compatibles)
Date: 25 Apr 87 00:47:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

In a recent posting, Charles Herman <HERMAN%NRL.DECNET@NRL.ARPA> writes:

>Where did you get a VT240 emulator which runs on a PC?  I have been looking
>for such software for quite a while.

Persoft, Inc. has a terminal emulation package called Smarterm which will
emulate a VT-240 (including ReGIS), Tektronix (unknown number, probably 4010),
and Data General terminal, including the text/graphics involved in each.  I
don't have a copy of this software, rather I am looking at a recent magazine
advertisement.  I have not seen it in action, but the rumor mill says it is a
fairly decent emulation, running off IBM CGA and Hercules graphics boards
(along with anything that will emulate THESE, I suppose).  The address of
Persoft is below.

Disclaimer:  I am in no way connected with ANY of the above companies, except
that I use/have used some of the products mentioned.  Of course, any of the
words above may be copyrighted or trademarked: please, no lawsuits.

Persoft, Inc., 465 Science Drive, Madison, WI USA 53711, (608) 273-6000

                                  Kevin Rice
                             University of Kansas
                            Lawrence, Kansas 66045

BITNET: KRICE@UKANVAX
MaBell: (913) 864-2919
Ocean:  Drop it in and we'll see if it gets here.
"Whenever you think about it, you are thinking about thinking about it, ad
infinitum. Why?" --Dr. Hans Sovaning

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: KRICE@UKANVAX.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: RE: Megaflop rating on the VAX 8600
Date: 25 Apr 87 04:34:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Hello out there in NetLand:

Someone using the account RMB059@MILPL3.JPL.NASA.GOV asked:

>What's a good number for the Megaflop rating for an 8600?

According to a study named "Performance of Various Computers Using Standard
Linear Equations Software in a FORTRAN Environment" by: Jack J. Dongarra,
Argonne Natl. Lab., Argonne, Ill. 60439 U.S.A., Dated: Sept. 24, 1986:

The study used four different determinations of megaflop ratings.  All
comparisons were done using a benchmark program called LINPACK [ownership and
specifics unknown.  It is only said that it is a system of linear equations.
Other specifics unknown, sorry.], written in FORTRAN.  All use VMS V4.1 and
FORTRAN V4.2. They gave the following results:

                              Ratio: vs. Cray-1s       Megaflops
                              ******************       *********

1> (Full Precision, all FORTRAN):    1 / 25              0.49

2> (Full Precision, coded BLAS):     1 / 19              0.66

3> (Half Precision, all FORTRAN):    1 / 14              0.88

4> (Half Precision, coded BLAS):     1 / 9.8             1.3

No, BLAS isn't what happens on Monday mornings.  The author says that by using
"coded BLAS" they rewrote the part of the code that does most of the floating
point maneuvering in assembly.  The report was supported by the DOE, so the
U.S. Gov. Superintendent of Documents probably has a copy.

I should probably include a disclaimer at this point that I have no association
with anyone (except my family, and even they deny me sometimes), so don't
blame/attribute to/commend/reproach/bespatter/condemn/denounce/censure/
reprehend/accuse/admonish/rebuke/castigate/trounce/chastise/discombobulate/
impeach/challenge or injure/pulverize/overmedicate/wound/hurt/deface/mar/impair
me for anything said above or below (next to, etc., you fill it in). I have a
photocopied version of this report (oops, hope there's no copyright
infringement here... oh well), so contact the writer (above) please, not me.
Yokee-doeekee, that's all I know, folks.

                                  Kevin Rice
                        Student, University of Kansas
                           Lawrence, Kansas 66045

                           BITNET:  KRICE@UKANVAX
                           CSNET:   KRICE@KUHUB.UKANS
                           MaBell:  (913) 864-2919
   Ocean:   Drop it in, it just might get here (This *IS* Kansas, the land
                   of Ahhs, seaport to the entire midwest).

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Please ignore extra headers
Date: 25 Apr 87 10:00:13 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

From:	CITHEX::ST%"Mailer" 25-APR-1987 02:57
To:	CARL
Subj:	Undeliverable Mail

Date:     Sat, 25 Apr 87 02:57:44 PDT
From:     Mailer@CitHex.Caltech.Edu
Subject:  Undeliverable Mail
To:       <carl>
Comment:  reason for return --
Comment:   Invalid address[es]
Comment:  the affected addresses follow ...
Comment:  infovax

Start of returned message

  Date:     Sat, 25 Apr 87 02:54:09 PDT
  From:     carl (Carl J Lydick) @ CitHex.Caltech.Edu
  Subject:  Re: Reading .EXE version information
  To:       nagy%43198.hepnet @ lbl.arpa, infovax @ CitHex.Caltech.Edu

   > I recently saw an article on reading version information from the .EXE
   > file.  I have since lost the reference or message (I assume I saw it
   > on Info_VAX).  If I did see it on Info_VAX, could someone please send
   > me a copy of the message/source code or a reference to where I might
   > have seen it.

  I don't recall having seen this in infovax, and can't help you if you want
  to get the information lots of times from lots of files.  However, you can
  easily write a DCL script to do it if execution time isn't critical.  The
  strategy is to use the "ANALYZE/IMAGE/OUTPUT=filename" command to generate
  a file which has the version number in an easily findable place, then the
  SEARCH command to select the record with the information.  An OPEN, a READ,
  a CLOSE, a string assignment using F$EDIT and F$ELEMENT, and a DELETE command
  then get you the version number and delete the scratch files.

End of returnof ioken

uucp@edison.ge.COM.UUCP (04/28/87)

From: DAVE@CC8.BBN.COM ("David R. Barach  x3884 pager 884", barach@cc8.bbn.com)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: RD53 Disk Format Compatibility Question
Date: 25 Apr 87 22:14:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Does anyone know whether an RD-53 shipped in a VaxStation 2000 will be
format-compatible with the "same" unit found in a uVAX-II with an RQDX-3
controller?

What I really want to know is whether I can remove a VaxStation's disk, install
it in a BA-123 chassis, load it and then reinstall it.  We plan to fire up an
NI cluster eventually, but I want to avoid putting that in series with using
the stations we have on order.

Dave Barach (replies to "dave@bbn.com")

uucp@edison.ge.COM.UUCP (04/28/87)

From: OPER10@TRINCC.BITNET (Pete Bradley)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: DCL from high level languages
Date: 26 Apr 87 00:53:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

     I'm trying to find the quickest way possible to do a DCL command (eg.
SHOW USERS, etc); from within a FORTRAN program.  I know about LIB$SPAWN,
but it tends to involve a lot of overhead.  LIB$DO_COMMAND does what I want,
except that it is effectively the last line in the program, as no more code
is executed once it is called.  Is there any fast way to do this?  I can
dela with FORTRAN, BASIC, and Pascal, and I don't mind calling MACRO, though
I don't know enough MACRO to program in it.  Any light that can be shed on
this problem would be greatly appreciated.

                                          Pete Bradley
                                          OPER10@TRINCC

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 26 Apr 87 03:23:40 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

From: robert@jimi.cs.unlv.EDU (Robert Cray)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Shared files
Date: 26 Apr 87 16:56:51 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

  Can anyone tell me how to flush output from fortran?  I open the file as
such:
	open(unit=3, type='NEW', file=filen, shared)

to avoid the "File locked by another user" nonsense, and sure enough, I am
able to read the file, but nothing is there.  I can only see whats there when
the program exits, which of course defeats the whole purpose.

Also, can anyone recommend remote spooler software?  I have an ln03+ on
a uvax, and want to print files from our 785, I have some command files
set up for this purpose, but it is a pain as I have to have a new .com for
every form on the printer.  Thanks.

					--robert

robert%jimi.cs.unlv.edu@relay.cs.net
{akgua,ihnp4,mirror,psivax,sdcrdcf}!otto!jimi!robert

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: SYSTEM@CRNLNS.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: re: ACP error HEADERFULL message ?
Date: 26 Apr 87 17:02:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Anil,

As I understand it, the HEADERFULL message is a known problem with
VMS 4.5 and earlier. It may or may not be fixed in 4.6.

It is telling you that it can't extend the index file on the volume
for some reason. I think one cause may be that the disk structure
is too badly fragmented. At any rate, you will have to do a full
Backup and restore of the disk.

My solution is to initialize our user disk with a preallocated
index file that is large enough for all the files that will be created.
Also, you must not let a Backup "image mode restore" initialize the disks
itself. (Specify /NOINITIALIZE to Backup when you start the restore.)

This also gets around the problem that some sites have seen where
two cluster members try to extend the index file simultaneously
and both manage to do it, creating two incompatible extensions.
This bug is also reported to be under investigation.

Our user disks typically have about 30,000 files on each.
The following command preallocates 40,000 file headers:

 $ INIT HSC000$DUA5: SCRATCH_DISK /HEADERS=40000/CLUSTER=8/EXTENSION=32

I hope this helps.

Selden E. Ball, Jr.
(Wilson Lab's network and system manager)

Cornell University                 NYNEX: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies     BITNET: SYSTEM@CRNLNS
Wilson Synchrotron Lab              ARPA: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Judd Falls & Dryden Road          PHYSnet/HEPnet/SPAN:
Ithaca, NY, USA  14853             LNS61::SYSTEM = 44283::SYSTEM (node 43.251)

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax,comp.sys.dec
Subject: Re: redirection of stdio, et al.
Date: 26 Apr 87 23:10:57 GMT

In article <224@unc.cs.unc.edu> mcguffey@unc.cs.unc.edu (Michael McGuffey)
requests a method to allow command line redirection under VMS.  What I
use follows the signature.

Martin Minow
decvax!minow

main(argc, argv)
int		argc;
char		*argv[];
{
#ifdef vms
	argc = getredirection(argc, argv);
#endif
}
--------
/*
 * getredirection() is intended to aid in porting C programs
 * to VMS (Vax-11 C) which does not support '>' and '<'
 * I/O redirection.  With suitable modification, it may
 * useful for other portability problems as well.
 */

static int
getredirection(argc, argv)
int		argc;
char		**argv;
/*
 * Process vms redirection arg's.  Exit if any error is seen.
 * If getredirection() processes an argument, it is erased
 * from the vector.  getredirection() returns a new argc value.
 *
 * Warning: do not try to simplify the code for vms.  The code
 * presupposes that getredirection() is called before any data is
 * read from stdin or written to stdout.
 *
 * Normal usage is as follows:
 *
 *	main(argc, argv)
 *	int		argc;
 *	char		*argv[];
 *	{
 *		argc = getredirection(argc, argv);
 *	}
 */
{
#ifdef	vms
	register char		*ap;	/* Argument pointer	*/
	int			i;	/* argv[] index		*/
	int			j;	/* Output index		*/
	int			file;	/* File_descriptor 	*/
	extern int		errno;	/* Last vms i/o error 	*/

	for (j = i = 1; i < argc; i++) {   /* Do all arguments	*/
	    switch (*(ap = argv[i])) {
	    case '<':			/* <file		*/
		if (freopen(++ap, "r", stdin) == NULL) {
		    perror(ap);		/* Can't find file	*/
		    exit(errno);	/* Is a fatal error	*/
		}

	    case '>':			/* >file or >>file	*/
		if (*++ap == '>') {	/* >>file		*/
		    /*
		     * If the file exists, and is writable by us,
		     * call freopen to append to the file (using the
		     * file's current attributes).  Otherwise, create
		     * a new file with "vanilla" attributes as if
		     * the argument was given as ">filename".
		     * access(name, 2) is TRUE if we can write on
		     * the specified file.
		     */
		    if (access(++ap, 2) == 0) {
			if (freopen(ap, "a", stdout) != NULL)
			    break;	/* Exit case statement	*/
			perror(ap);	/* Error, can't append	*/
			exit(errno);	/* After access test	*/
		    }			/* If file accessable	*/
		}
		/*
		 * On vms, we want to create the file using "standard"
		 * record attributes.  create(...) creates the file
		 * using the caller's default protection mask and
		 * "variable length, implied carriage return"
		 * attributes. dup2() associates the file with stdout.
		 */
		if ((file = creat(ap, 0, "rat=cr", "rfm=var")) == -1
		 || dup2(file, fileno(stdout)) == -1) {
		    perror(ap);		/* Can't create file	*/
		    exit(errno);	/* is a fatal error	*/
		}			/* If '>' creation	*/
		break;			/* Exit case test	*/

	    default:
		argv[j++] = ap;		/* Not a redirector	*/
		break;			/* Exit case test	*/
	    }
	}				/* For all arguments	*/
	return (j);
#else
	/*
	 * Note: argv[] is referenced to fool the Decus C
	 * syntax analyser, supressing an unneeded warning
	 * message.
	 */
	return (argv[0], argc);		/* Just return as seen	*/
#endif
}

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/28/87)

From: SYSTEM@CRNLNS.BITNET
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: CMU/TEK TCP/IP TELNET performance
Date: 26 Apr 87 18:45:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Doug,

I had planned to delay publishing the following report
until I had some WIN/VX numbers to compare, but obviously you
need to know soon.

Selden E. Ball, Jr.
(Wilson Lab's network and system manager)

Cornell University                 NYNEX: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies     BITNET: SYSTEM@CRNLNS
Wilson Synchrotron Lab              ARPA: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Judd Falls & Dryden Road          PHYSnet/HEPnet/SPAN:
Ithaca, NY, USA  14853             LNS61::SYSTEM = 44283::SYSTEM (node 43.251)

P.S. The Ethernet utilization figures were obtained by running
a patched version of VMS Monitor with the command
 $ MONITOR ETHERNET
I can send you a copy of the patch if you don't have it.
S.
The following is a report of a test done using CMU/TEK TCP/IP
             by S.Ball on April 23rd and 24th, 1987

Executive summary:
=================
If we run CMU/TEK TCP/IP for production use, we will need a front end.

CMU/TEK TCP/IP software uses an excessive amount of cpu resources
for terminal support both outbound, when accessing another system,
and inbound, when the local system is hosting a session.

Environment:
============
2 VAX-11/750s (LNS53 and CLE750) with FPA and 5 Megabytes of memory,
running VMS 4.4 and connected with DEUNA Ethernet interfaces.
The CMU TCP/IP package being tested consisted of
FINGER V2.4, SMAIL V2.5, TELNET V3.0, and IP/ACP V6.0.
Only TELNET and IP/ACP were actually involved in this test.

Each of the tests was run for only about a minute, so the percentages
aren't accurate to better than about 5% or worse.
Unfortunately, that size of error is unimportant.

TELNET i/o test
---------------
I used a 9600 baud terminal connected to a DEC LAT-11 terminal server
on Ethernet.  Past studies have shown the LAT protocol to be
comparable to DMF-32 connections in terms of its CPU use.

First I logged into LNS53 (3 others were logged in doing nothing),
and then did a TELNET to CLE750 (where 1 other was logged in doing nothing)
and gave the command "TYPE DOC:*.*;*". Our DOC: directory contains
many text files of various sizes.

results:
--------
(the actual numbers fluctuated +/- 5% or so, presumably due to disk
file open overhead)

The transfer used 100% of the cpu on (remote) CLE750
                  ====
(20% kernel, 80% user, <5% interrupt)

User mode programs on on CLE750 were the TELNET server using about 50%,
IP_ACP using about 15%, and TYPE using about 15%.

It used 50% of the cpu on (local) LNS53 (15% kernel, 35% user, <5% interrupt)
        ===
User mode programs on LNS53 were TELNET and IP_ACP, using approximately
equal fractions of the cpu, but with large fluctuations.

Ethernet use went from 10Kbytes/sec to about 15Kbytes/sec.

The Ethernet packet size averaged about 100 bytes,
presumably 1 per record of terminal output.
But, if we assume half of the i/o increase was Lat from LNS53 to the
LAT-11, and half was TELNET from CLE750 to LNS53, this implies, since
the terminal i/o was < 1 Kbyte/sec x 2 = < 2 Kbytes/sec, that there was
> 3 Kbytes/sec of overhead somewhere. Some of the excess may
have been due to other systems doing Ethernet i/o at the same time.

For comparison:
==============

Using DECnet SET HOST
---------------------
I used the same 9600 baud terminal connected to a DEC LAT-11
terminal server on Ethernet.

I logged into LNS53 (1 other user was running a cpu bound job),
I did a SET HOST to CLE750 (where 1 other was logged in doing nothing),
and used the command "TYPE DOC:*.*;*"

On LNS53, there was no observable degredation in my terminal output
due to the other job, but the other job averaged > 75% of the cpu.

In contrast to TELNET use, CLE750 averaged  > 85% idle.
Kernel and Interrupt modes fluctuated from 2% to 10% each,
apparently dominated by disk file open operations.

Unfortunately, the increased load on Ethernet wasn't observable:
it was already fluctuating between 35 and 45 Kbytes/sec.

Using a direct LAT connection
-----------------------------
Again I used the 9600 baud terminal connected to a DEC LAT-11 terminal
server on Ethernet.

I logged into CLE750 (there was 1 other user logged in doing nothing),
and gave the command "TYPE DOC:*.*;*"

CLE750 averaged > 85% idle.
Kernel and Interrupt modes fluctuated from 2% to 10% each,
apparently dominated by disk file open operations.

Ethernet use went from about 11 Kbytes/sec to maybe 12.5 Kbytes/sec.

uucp@uvabick.UUCP.UUCP (04/29/87)

From: minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax,comp.sys.dec
Date: 26 Apr 87 23:10:57 GMT

> [...]

		     * a new file with "vanilla" attributes as if
		     * the argument was given as ">filename".
		     * access(name, 2) is TRUE if we can write on
		     * the specified file.
		     */
		    if (access(++ap, 2) == 0) {
			if (freopen(ap, "a", stdout) != NULL)
			    break;	/* Exit case statement	*/
			perror(ap);	/* Error, can't append	*/
			exit(errno);	/* After access test	*/
		    }			/* If file accessable	*/
		}
		/*
		 * On vms, we want to create the file using "standard"
		 * record attributes.  create(...) creates the file
		 * using the caller's default protection mask and
		 * "variable length, implied carriage return"
		 * attributes. dup2() associates the file with stdout.
		 */
		if ((file = creat(ap, 0, "rat=cr", "rfm=var")) == -1
		    perror(ap);		/* Can't create file	*/
		    exit(errno);	/* is a fatal error	*/
		}			/* If '>' creation	*/
		break;			/* Exit case test	*/

	    default:
		argv[j++] = ap;		/* Not a redirector	*/
		break;			/* Exit case test	*/
	    }
	}				/* For all arguments	*/
	return (j);
#else
	/*

uucp@edison.ge.COM.UUCP (04/29/87)

From: gwalker@SPCA.BBN.COM (Gail Rubin Walker)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 27 Apr 87 01:09:54 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

I thought this information was in a recent Pageswapper article, not
on info-vax.

-- Gail Walker

uucp@uvabick.UUCP (uucp) (04/29/87)

From: jps@apollo.uucp (Jeffrey P. Snover)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax,comp.sys.dec
Subject: Preparation for VMS 5.0
Date: 27 Apr 87 20:51:00 GMT

I have heard rumors that VMS 5.0 is so
dramatically different from VMS 4.X that
DEC has set a group of people to help prepare
3rd party software houses.

If this is true I would like to talk to these
folks.  Can anyone turn me on to the correct
people?

NOTE: yeah apollo isn't generally in the DEC software
business but my project is.  My project is called
ACCESS which is a communications package that runs on
the VAX (VMS) and on our wonderful family of truely
top-notch workstations (I can turn you on to a salesperson
if you are interested. [p.s. I'm not joking, they are
the b*lls]).

ACCESS allows our workstations to ***TRANSPARENTLY***
access a VMS file system.  Thus workstation users can
use the VAX as a file server.

jeffrey p snover

uucp@edison.ge.COM.UUCP (04/29/87)

From: jcm@ORNL-MSR.ARPA (James A. Mullens)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: C++ Users
Date: 27 Apr 87 02:17:57 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

>From: Ken Wallewein <kenw%noah.arc.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
>Maybe this isn't the correct forum, but I don't know of a better one, so...
>I have been watching with great interest any news on C++.

I don't know of any better forum, but there is an arpanet mailing
list for C which occasionally touched on C++ occasionally when I
monitored it about 2 years ago.  However, that list is heavily
overloaded with C discussions.  I would like to have a list of C++
USERS -- please send a message to JCM@ORNL-MSR.ARPA.  (Please tell
what C++ implementation you have, what computer system you are using,
and what type of application you are developing).  I don't want to
start a mailing list, but I might be willing to echo a VERY SMALL
amount of mail.

>Does allowable operator overloading include the assignment (=) operator?

Not only can you overload "=", but you can also overload "()"
(function calls) and "[]" (array subscripting).  I believe this makes
it possible to do such things as:

jim mullens / jcm@ornl-msr.arpa / 615-574-5564

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/29/87)

From: gwalker@SPCA.BBN.COM (Gail Rubin Walker)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 27 Apr 87 01:28:36 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

The following are the ways I know of to get stdio
redirection on VMS. This is just a summary and doesn't give
a lot of details. Whether these work out for you may depend on
what programs you are trying to use this way and even what language
they are written in.

1. For all programs that use SYS$OUTPUT (stdout for VMS) for their output (as
   most do) you can either
    a) use
    ASSIGN/USER somefile SYS$OUTPUT
    just before running the program to make everything directed to SYS$OUTPUT
    go to the file "somefile" instead OR

    b) Put the call to your program in a command file and invoke it with
    @commandfile /OUTPUT=somefile
    to redirect the output. (If the program takes input from the terminal
    you need to ASSIGN/USER SYS$COMMAND SYS$INPUT  before running the program
    from the command file.)

There may be some cases where the file comes out funny if the program is
one that believes its output is always a terminal, or anything like that.
I guess the best way to know if these will meet your needs is to try them.

On the input side (SYS$INPUT), method (a) can be used:
  ASSIGN/USER myinfile SYS$INPUT
also in command files you can follow the call to the program with
the input itself (the input data lines just don't start with a '$' sign.)

2. For VMS commands, many of them now have a /OUTPUT switch to allow
you to redirect their output to a file.

3. If what you really want is to have your programs accept ">somefile"
or "<myinfile" on their command line and redirect output or input, they
would have to be explicitly written to look for that construct.

I don't know offhand if VAX C and its runtime library will do this for
you automatically, I haven't used the VAX C runtime library, but it is
just possible that it will handle this for you for programs written in
VAX C.

-- Gail Walker

uucp@edison.ge.COM.UUCP (04/29/87)

From: tli@sargas.usc.edu (Tony Li)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: RD53 Disk Format Compatibility Question
Date: 27 Apr 87 11:13:55 GMT

RD53 formats are compatible across versions of the RQDX3, as far as
I've seen.  However, there is no way to xfer between an RQDX2 and a RQDX3.

Cheers,
Tony ;-)
--
Tony Li - USC University Computing Services	"Fene mele kiki bobo"
Uucp: oberon!tli						-- Joe Isuzu

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/29/87)

From: carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Date: 27 Apr 87 05:19:41 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

 > Does anyone know of any tools that allow command line redirection of
 > stdio under VMS. Something similar to the way unix and msdos does it is
 > preferable to some of the methods that have previously been proposed.

The following is C code to do at least more or less what you want.  First
a short rationale for using the technique I did, rather than something else:
The C run time library does things like setting up the array of io blocks
and parsing the command line for you; while I could have written code to
do this, and then linked this code with everything I wrote, I decided to
use the default startup routines, and then to do any I/O redirection later.
The end result is a routine called ioinit that is used as follows:
main(nargs, args)
int nargs;
char **args;
{	...
	ioinit(&nargs, args);
}
It redirects any or all of stdin, stdout, or stderr, using the same syntax
as under UNIX* (with the exception of "here documents");
/******************************************************************************/
/* IOINIT.C -- I/O redirection subroutine.  Redirects stdin (< or <<);
 *	stdout (> or >>); or stderr ( 2>, 2>>)
 * Usage:
 *	main(nargs, args)
 *	{	...
 *		ioinit(&nargs, args);
 *		...
 *	}
 */

#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>

typedef char *STR;

ioinit(nargs, args)
int *nargs;
STR *args;
{   int argnum;

    for (argnum = 1; argnum < *nargs; ++argnum)
    {	if (strncmp(args[argnum], "<", 1) == 0)
	{   args[argnum] += 1;
	    *nargs = u_reopen(*nargs, args, argnum, "r", stdin);
	    argnum--;
	} else if (strncmp(args[argnum], ">>", 2) == 0)
	{   args[argnum] += 2;
	    *nargs = u_reopen(*nargs, args, argnum, "a", stdout);
	    argnum--;
	} else if (strncmp(args[argnum], ">", 1) == 0)
	{   args[argnum] += 1;
	    *nargs = u_reopen(*nargs, args, argnum, "w", stdout);
	    argnum--;
	} else if (strncmp(args[argnum], "2>>", 3) == 0)
	{   args[argnum] += 3;
	    *nargs = u_reopen(*nargs, args, argnum, "a", stderr);
	    argnum--;
	} else if (strncmp(args[argnum], "2>", 2) == 0)
	{    args[argnum] += 2;
	    *nargs = u_reopen(*nargs, args, argnum, "w", stderr);
	    argnum--;
	}
    }
}

u_reopen(nargs, args, argnum, acmod, chan)
int nargs, argnum;
STR *args, acmod;
FILE *chan;
{   char *file;
    int offset, i, errornum;

    if (args[argnum][0] != '\0')
    {	offset = 1;
	file = args[argnum];
    } else if ((argnum + 1) < nargs)
    {	offset = 2;
	file = args[argnum+1];
    } else
    {	fprintf(stderr, "Illegal redirection on command line.\n");
	exit(1);
    } for (i = argnum; i < nargs - offset; ++i)
	args[i] = args[i + offset];
    if (((*acmod == ' ' || strcmp(acmod,"a+") == 0) && freopen(file, acmod,
	chan ,"rfm=stm") != chan) || freopen(file, acmod, chan) != chan)
    {	if (errno == EVMSERR)
	{	errornum = vaxc$errno;
		fprintf(stderr, "Failure opening redirected stream.\n");
		exit(errornum);
	} else
	{	perror("Failure opening redirected stream.");
		exit(1);
	}
    } return(nargs - offset);
}
/******************************************************************************/
Using this as a starting point, you should be able to tailor it to your
needs.

susan@ndmce.UUCP (04/29/87)

From: susan@ndmce.uucp (Susan Harden)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Wanted: VMS YMODEM
Date: 29 Apr 87 19:10:10 GMT

A friend who does not have access to the net would like a working
version of VMS YMODEM, with source, on a TK-50 tape.  He will
gladly pay for the tape and shipping costs.  Please contact
Terry Poot (Poot rhymes with coat) at:

     McCall Pattern Co.
     613 McCall Road
     Manhattan, Kansas 66502

or call toll-free to:

     1-800-255-2762

I prefer that you contact him directly; however, I will make
sure he hears about any email messages relayed here.

Thank you all in advance.

Susan Harden, Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers, (214)739-4741
8800 N. Central Expressway, Suite 300, Dallas, TX 75231, USA
UUCP: { seismo | cbosgd | ihnp4 | sun!convex | allegra!convex }!ndmce!susan
ARPA: ndmce!susan@seismo.css.gov   CSNET: ndmce!susan@smu
--

kuo@skatter.UUCP (05/11/87)

In article <8704280633.AA19854@edison.GE.COM>, uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) writes:

> In a recent posting, Charles Herman <HERMAN%NRL.DECNET@NRL.ARPA> writes:
>
> >Where did you get a VT240 emulator which runs on a PC?  I have been looking
> >for such software for quite a while.
>
> Persoft, Inc. has a terminal emulation package called Smarterm which will
> emulate a VT-240 (including ReGIS), Tektronix (unknown number, probably 4010),
> and Data General terminal, including the text/graphics involved in each.  I
> don't have a copy of this software, rather I am looking at a recent magazine
> advertisement.  I have not seen it in action, but the rumor mill says it is a
> fairly decent emulation, running off IBM CGA and Hercules graphics boards
> (along with anything that will emulate THESE, I suppose).  The address of
> Persoft is below.
>
> Disclaimer:  I am in no way connected with ANY of the above companies, except
> that I use/have used some of the products mentioned.  Of course, any of the
> words above may be copyrighted or trademarked: please, no lawsuits.
>
> Persoft, Inc., 465 Science Drive, Madison, WI USA 53711, (608) 273-6000
>
>                                   Kevin Rice
>                              University of Kansas
>                             Lawrence, Kansas 66045
>
> BITNET: KRICE@UKANVAX
> MaBell: (913) 864-2919
> Ocean:  Drop it in and we'll see if it gets here.

I have used ST240 from Persoft and it works nice! The only one complaint I may
have is that in the TEK4010 mode, you move the cross hairs using CTRL-arrow
keys and not the normal arrow keys on the keyboard. I find this bothersome; the
arrow keys send some codes other than the arrow code.

It was also found that in the earlier version (I forgot which one; possibly
v1.0) that there is a little bug with the Kermit transfer. It messes up your
DVI file if you send it from your PC to VMS. I don't know if that has been
fixed yet.

Other that the above comments, ST240 is quite a good VT241 emulator, in my
personal view.

... Peter/

Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
	    anything! And I only speak for myself.