Date: Thu, 7 May 87 04:28:26 PDT
From: nagy%warner.hepnet@lbl.arpa
Subject: RE: VWS (aka UIS) - VAX/VMS Workstation Software

>Date: Tue, 5 May 87 12:34:50 EDT
>From: "Patrick J. O'Neill" <poneill@AMSAA.ARPA>
>Subject: UIS Software on MicroVAX
>
>        We have a Microvax (actually a VAXstation II) running Microvms
>version 4.5. We have a layered product that requires UIS (User Interface
>Services) version 3.0 or 3.1. Alas, when we dump some headers of UISSHR.EXE,
>it appears we have version 1.5 or so of UIS. My question is, "is UIS an
>integral part of VMS , or is it separately ordered ?

UIS - really called VWS for VAX Workstation Software (or System?) is a
VMS layered product and is ordered/shipped separately from VMS.  My
manual set claims it is for V3.0 which I believe is the current version.

=Frank Nagy
=Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
=FNAL::NAGY.HEPNET or NAGY@FNAL.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 May 87 09:16 EDT
From: <GEOFFRIL%UNION.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: checking status of remote node

We have many DCL procedures that access resources on other DECNET nodes.

Is there an easy way from DCL to inquire if a remote node is available
on the net.  I know you can simply try to access the file and wait for
DECnet to timeout, but that is tedious and slow.  I'd like to do it
much faster.  Does anyone know of a much faster trick?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 May 87 09:07:23 EDT
From: Harold C Pritchett <HAROLD%UGA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Forwarded Mail

The note below was send incorrectly to the BITNET Re-distribution list.
I am forwarding it to the entire list.
Date: 7 May 87 10:45:00 EDT
From: "WILKINSON R.O." <sherman@nusc.arpa>
Subject: U. of Salzberg & LQP02 Programmer's Manual

Two questions:

1)  Is anybody out there listening in from the University of Salzberg?  If so,
    I'd be interested in getting in touch with you.

2)  If somebody in the Connecticut/Massachusetts/Rhode Island area has the
    LQP02 Programmer's Reference booklet handy, I'd be interested in borrowing
    it to copy a few pertinent pieces of information from it.

Thanks,
Bill.

| ARPANET:  sherman@nusc.arpa           USPS:  Bill Sherman                    |
| AT&T:     (203) 440-6210                     Navel Underwater Systems Center |
|                                              MIS/OA/WP Group, Code 334       |
|                                              Building 28, Room 200           |
|                                              New London, CT  06320           |
| "Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you, and  |
| just before you realize what's wrong with it."             - Unknown.        |

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 87 03:54:47 GMT
From: munnari!murdu!u3369429@seismo.css.gov  (Michael 'I love VMS'
      Bednarek)
Subject: SWING sources posted to comp.sources.misc

I posted the (hopefully) stable version of SWING to comp.sources.misc
As that is a moderated group, it will probably take a few days to be available.

Thanks to:
Eric Andresen (the original Author),
Portia Shao (the original poster),
Mike Strasser (who contributed ISADIR)
and many more who submitted bug reports and improvement suggestions.

Michael Bednarek
u3369429@murdu.oz.au  or  U3369429@xvax.dn.mu.oz.au

Here is the introduction of that posting:

Finally.
Here is SWING version '04-May-87' .

(SWING is a VAX/VMS utility for displaying the graphical representation
 of directory trees on a VT100 or VT200 type terminal.)

Because this is strictly a VAX/VMS tool, I packaged it not in the traditional
"shar" format, but as self-unpacking VMS command procedure.

It comes in 10 parts (to keep each part below 16000 characters).
You have to save all 10 parts to files, remove all the mailer header lines
and CONCATENATE them to one single file.

The size of that file should be 278/279 blocks, 4628 lines, 16722 words,
134734 characters.

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 87 07:44:06 GMT
From: munnari!otc!metro!basser!nucs!morrison@seismo.css.gov  (David
      Morrison)
Subject: Help with LAT/DECservers

We have recently (January) replaced two VAX 11/780s by two VAX 8550s.  This
also meant replacing nice predictable DZ11s with an Ethernet and DECserver
200s.  We also have a Micom Micro 600 port selector.  For various reasons,
most of the DECservers have temporarily been connected in place of the DZ11s
on the back of the Micom, and set to be transparent to the users.

However, we have taken advantage of the ability in LATplus V1.1 to have serial
printers (LA120s) shared between the two machines.  Certain terminals which
only access our library circulation system have been connected directly to
servers, with the server configured as dedicated to that machine.  (They are
VT100s and lookalikes used with Fortran and FMS for enquiries, etc.)

Since January, we have had no problems with the DECservers connected to the
Micom.  However, we have had no end of problems with the DECservers used
directly.  Appeals to DEC software and hardware support have been no help at
all.  Can anyone offer any suggestions on the following problems?

1. Most of the library terminals jam up about once a fortnight for no apparent
reason.  The symptoms are that any character typed is not echoed, and a beep
sounds.  If it were connected to a DZ, I would say that it was input buffer
overflow on a terminal with NOHOSTSYNC.  However, the terminal characteristics
are explicitly set to HOSTSYNC, and in any case, the server was configured
for XON/XOFF flow control.  Strangely, the job running at that terminal
disappears!  Even more strange is that fact that the server still thinks that
something is using the terminal, since its status display shows the port still
connected to the host.  The only way to clear this is to connect to the
server's remote console with NCP and manually logout the port.

(I'm not sure what the relationship of HOSTSYNC is to the DECserver software.
It appears that the server attempts to emulate the behaviour of a DZ line for
buffer overflow, that is, if HOSTSYNC is set, send an XOFF to the terminal (ie,
lock the keyboard), otherwise, reply with a beep for every character lost.  For
a DZ, you can unlock the keyboard and type a Ctrl/Y to interrupt whatever is
going on.  For a DECserver, nothing can get through until the host issues a
read.  For NOHOSTSYNC, Ctrl/Y interrupts the program on both DZ and DECserver.
All this in spite of the DECserver being configured for XON/XOFF flow control!)

2. The queues for the serial printers that are heavily used often appear in the
stalled state, and eventually stop.  They then have to be manually restarted.
We have observed this behaviour on printers connected to DZ11s when there has
been a paper jam or something else that caused the printer to send an XOFF.  In
this case, it looks as though the queue gets stalled because the other VAX is
using the printer.  This is not always the case.  Sometimes it stalls in the
middle of a print job, and the queue stops, leaving the job checkpointed.  The
other VAX cannot get the printer because the server still thinks it is
connected to the machine with the stopped queue.

Surely the LAT symbiont must be able to recognise that it is in a queue for the
printer, and avoid stopping the queue.

3. I wanted to be able to login to a local Unix machine and copy files around,
so I set up an applications port with LATCP.  I first tried using SET HOST/DTE
LTAxx: just to see if I had everything set correctly.  I found that even though
the line was set to 4800 baud, the output was coming back to me at about 30
characters per second.  Later on, it picked up a bit, but after about 1 - 2
minutes, it locked up and nothing had any effect except exiting from SET HOST
with Ctrl/\.  So I tried Kermit, which at least gave reasonable speed, but it
eventually locked up also.  I suspect that it is again a synchronisation
problem.  Changing the line to NOHOSTSYNC made no difference to SET HOST (since
it sets HOSTSYNC itself!!), but caused Kermit to lose incoming characters.

(This cannot be attributed to Unix since I tried connecting the line to the VAX
I was using with the same results.  (Is this incest? :-))

Someone suggested disabling the flow control at the DECserver, and this seemed
to work, but I wonder what will happen at high baud rates when the Ethernet is
busy.  19.2Kbaud = about 150 characters in 80 milliseconds which is the time
between messages on the Ethernet.  Has the server got enough buffer space?

The first problem could possibly be triggered by noise on the lines to the
terminals, since we haven't got enough money yet to extend the Ethernet to the
library.  (We have had remarkably few problems driving RS232 signals up to 4800
baud for over 2 kilometres.)  However, I cannot see why this results in the
behaviour we have seen.

PS Has anyone any experience with DEC's Terminal Server Manager software?

Thanks in advance for any help

David Morrison, Computing Centre, Uni of Newcastle, Australia
ARPA: morrison%nucs.oz@seismo.css.gov
UUCP: {seismo,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!nucs.oz!morrison

------------------------------

Date: 7 MAY 87 17:19-N
From: BERGER%CSGHSG5A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Problems with BASIC 3.0 and/or VMS 4.5

        With BASIC 3.0 we also got quite a few new problems !!!

        The following program is supposed to signal "Normal successful
        completion". It did so under BASIC 2.4, but now it signals
        "Message number 00000004" and kills my program.

        The problem is that when calling LIB$SIGNAL in a BASIC Error-Routine
        the fatal bit is   a l w a y s   set in the message code. Therefore
        LIB$SIGNAL behaves like LIB$STOP.

        DEC says that LIB$SIGNAL is not supported with BASIC because BASIC
        has its own error handling facility  (whatever that means).

        Does anybody know the problem or even know a solution ? Does anybody
        know about other problems with BASIC 3.0 ?

        Ruedi Berger
        Informatikbereich HSG
        St. Gallen, Schweiz

10      EXTERNAL LONG CONSTANT SS$_NORMAL
        ON ERROR GOTO 20

        H1% = 0%
        H1% = 1% / H1%

15      PRINT "Back from error routine"
        GOTO 30

20      CALL LIB$SIGNAL (SS$_NORMAL BY VALUE)
        RESUME 15

30      END

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 87 13:38:00 GMT+536:14
From: "Daniel  Gregory" <gregory@brl-lvax.ARPA>
Subject: Defining keys in EDITOR to RING BELLS, FORM FEED, etc.

This is what I do for bells and whistles.
In my login.com
$ define edtini sys$login:edtini.edt
Then create the file EDTINI.EDT with some or all or more of the following:

DEFINE KEY GOLD 15 AS "SHL."
DEFINE KEY GOLD 14 AS "SHR."
DEFINE KEY CONTROL G AS "7asc."
DEFINE KEY CONTROL L AS "10asc."
DEFINE KEY CONTROL F AS "12asc."

Then when you are editing a file and wish to insert a bell in your
text type CTRL G
Want a form feed? CTRL F
Want several line feeds?  CTRL L several times.
The first line will shift the text on the crt to the left by pressing
PF1 and the left arrow key.  The second line moves it to the right by pressing
PF1 and the right arrow key.  All this works when you are editing in mail too.
Enjoy. :-)

Dan Gregory
GREGORY@BRL-LFD.ARPA

P.S.
You know it took me a while to realize that :-) was a happy face sideways.
I hate the digest format. :-(

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 87 20:11:23 GMT
From: decvax!necntc!jeff@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jeff Janock)
Subject: DECNET across x.25

As the summary states, we are in need of finding out how much
overhead there is in maintaining a DLM circuit across X.25.

The current situation is this:

In the USA, there is one system (VMS) hooked up to TYMNET via
a 9.6kbps HDLC line and the VAX PSI software.  We run on an
8300 using the DMB32 for our psi sync port.  All this works nice.

There are many other systems within the USA but only the one node
with the X.25 connection.  We have setup PSI ACCESS for the other
nodes in the USA to utilize the X.25.  Now the problem.

We have sites in Europe that we must connect to for transfer of
data.  I have succeeded in established an X.25 DLM circuit to
one machine in Germany on Datex-p.  I have found that during
the day (0700-2000 EST), throughput is horrible and the link
is extremely prone to faults (circuit fault type messages from decnet).

I have a couple of questions/queries given this backgroud:

1)  What parameters may be tweeked to help maintain this circuit?

2)  How may the actual cost of maintaining this circuit be determined?

If you have any experience with X.25 DLM circuits, I sure would like
to chat with you for a little bit...

Please respond via email.

Regards,

--
Jeff Janock - NEC Electronics +1 617 655 8833 jeff@necntc.NEC.COM
{ames, decvax, harvard, linus, mit-eddie}!necntc!jeff

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 May 87 19:30 EST
From: "John H. Yates" <YATES%a.chem.upenn.edu@cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: JUICER

 I asked about user experiences with JUICER a few weeks ago, but got
only a request for it if I obtained it. I will have the appropriate
DECUS tape next week, but still would like to hear from users about
its reliability. I hope not to reduce user disks to pulp.
Thanks, John

------------------------------

End of Info-Vax Digest
**********************

tedcrane@batcomputer.UUCP (05/11/87)

"Daniel  Gregory" <gregory@brl-lvax.ARPA> writes:
>This is what I do for bells and whistles.
>DEFINE KEY CONTROL G AS "7asc."
>DEFINE KEY CONTROL L AS "10asc."
>DEFINE KEY CONTROL F AS "12asc."
>Then when you are editing a file and wish to insert a bell in your
>text type CTRL G
>Want a form feed? CTRL F
>Want several line feeds?  CTRL L several times.

Sorry, Dan, I'm not trying to flame on you, but for all those to whom
EDT is still "just a little" arcane:

Before you all run out to do this, stop to think that the standard
EDT definition for "CONTROL L" is "12asc.".  This is because control-L
is the <FF> formfeed character.  Why define F to do what L does already?

It might be more prudent to leave control-L as is, and redefine CONTROL-J
(the <LF> linefeed character) instead.  It normally defaults to "DBW.",
but perhaps you don't use that?