Date: 11 May 87 14:08 +0600
From: Rainer Kossmann <kossmann%wnre.aecl.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: INGRES USER SURVEY

Anne Corner of the Ingres User Association (IUA) is looking into EMAIL systems
and bulletin board systems sponsored by the IUA for use by the INGRES user
community.  I volunteered to survey INFO-VAX and INFO-IBMPC for INGRES users
reachable via these list mechanisms for Anne.

Please respond with the attached survey, so that I can automate processing of
returns.
------------------------start of cut----------------------------------
Organization name and address::
Est. number of INGRES licenses::
Est. number of INGRES users::
Computing Systems used::
------------------------end of cut------------------------------------
If the response is good, we could look into setting up an INFO-INGRES list.

Rainer Kossmann                 CDNnet:  kossmann@wnre.aecl.cdn
Atomic Energy of Canada         Arpanet: kossmann%wnre.aecl.cdn@ubc.csnet
Pinawa, Manitoba                Tel:     (204) 753-2311 Ext 2375

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 11:22 EDT
From: Robert M. Gerber <RGERBER%NYBVX1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: VMS Security Hole (Mack Truck Size)....................

        Yes that security hole does exist, yes DEC knows very much about it.
And it's large enuf to drive a Mack Truck through it.

        Where I am currently an ex-DEC employee just started.  He gave himself
priv's.  He had just TMPMBX & NETMBX to start with........

--------Robert Gerber                   These opions...etc,.....

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 11:54 EDT
From: Robert M. Gerber <RGERBER%NYBVX1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

        I just talked to DEC Customer Support Center/Colorado Springs...

        The problem is in only in VMS Versions 4.4 & 4.5 and they have a patch.
To break in all you need is an ID and possibly TMPMBX priv.  This is all I will
say on this problem...Call DEC...................

-----Robert

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 12:14:22 EDT
From: sasaki@harvard.harvard.edu
Subject: Bug in strncpy (C run-time library)

There is a bug in the routine strncpy, which usually doesn't show up,
but managed to cause real problems with some local software.

Strncpy(str1,str2,n) copies n characters from str2 to str1.  If str2
is shorter than n, str1 is padded with nulls. If str2 is longer than
n, only n characters are copied.

The problem occurs when there is no null in the buffer after the
beginning of str2. Strncpy uses a LOCC instruction to find a null,
then uses this length in a MOVC instruction. We were getting access
violations as the LOCC ran off of the edge of allocated memory.

Our solution was to write a macro that substituted calls to lib$movc3
(which was what was really needed). An SPR will be submitted as well.
-----------------------------------
  Marty Sasaki                          uucp:   harvard!sasaki
  Ziff Davis Technical Information Co.  arpa:   sasaki@harvard.harvard.edu
  80 Blanchard Road                     bitnet: sasaki@harvunxh
  Burlington, MA 01803                  phone:  617-273-5500

------------------------------

Date: 9 May 87 10:30:00 EDT
From: "TODD AVEN" <todd@cincom.umd.edu>
Subject: mailers for various transport layers

In the info-vax digest V0 #15, one person asks of the availability
of uucp or news software to connect to the net somehow. Another person
asks about mailers for jnet and tcp/ip.

One package that provides a mailer for existing transport layers such
as jnet and tcp/ip is the Software Tools Mail system, from the
Software Tools Virtual Operating System. This system can interface
with VMS Mail, or alternatively you can use the mail reader provided
with STMail. I used to use this software a couple of years ago, and
it is a very nice (expert) user interface, but very unixy [sic]. The
mailer and mail reader are separate/separable components of STMail.
With STMail, you need never touch VMS Mail interactively again. No
transport layers are provided with STMail (none were in the past, anyway),
so it won't save those of us not on a net.

The mailer software PMDF (Pascal Memo Distribution Facility) is a very
nice package which provides a complete interface between VMS Mail and
several transport layers, notably DECnet, DECnet-based Mail, Jnet,
SMTP over TCP/IP (Tektronix/CMU and Wollongong), SMTP over an arbitrary
I/O channel (I think you might have to do some programming for that
one--maybe), and PSIMail. Also provided is a gatewaying mechanism for
Jnet for sites connected directly to the Internet and Bitnet which wish
to serve as a gateway (not encouraged, as there are already many, but
it is a useful capability). Provided *with* PMDF is the Phonenet transport
layer, as used by NSF's CSNet. This is useful for the (many) VMS sites
not directly connected to a net but who have autodial modems, as PMDF
provides a scripting facility to allow automatic connection to another
site over phone lines to deliver mail on a regular basis (reminds you
of UUCP, doesn't it?).

In fact, the Phonenet capability reminded me so much of UUCP functionality
that I decided to attempt the creation of a network of VMS sites using
PMDF along with several other people who attended DECUS last week. It is
primarily Phonenet-based, since the goal is to provide low-cost connectivity
as an alternative to the proliferating high-priced networking packages
such as WIN/VX, DECnet, et al. I for one can't convince the boss that
we need a leased line just so I can get info-vax delivered to my doorstep :-).
Anyone interested in joining VMSnet or just assisting in the foundation
can contact me at one of my various net addresses (listed at the bottom).
If you're not on a net and you don't have any software, you can order
PMDF from Ned Freed at Harvey Mudd College for a very low price (it was
$50 last I checked). It comes with good documentation.

It should be noted that UUCP *does* exist for VMS systems, but you
need a UNIX license (yes, even if you're not running UNIX). I believe
Kevin Carosso at Hughes has the sofware if you have the license. Or you
can buy DEC/Shell to get UUCP connectivity. PMDF is the VMS-based version
of MMDF (Multi-channel Memo Distribtion Facility) used on CSNet. MMDF
is distributed with Berkeley 4.x (as user-contributed software?), so
in principle you can use PMDF to connect to BSD systems, though I don't
know if it is hard to set up.

Here is the 'availability' section of the PMDF documentation:

        "PMDF-822 is distributed by CSNET to its members. Organizations
        who are not members of CSNET can obtain copies of PMDF-822 for
        the cost of distribution from:

                Ned Freed (ned@ymir.bitnet)
                The PMDF Project
                Computing Services
                Harvey Mudd College
                Claremont, CA 91711
                (714)621-8006"

My net addresses:

seivax!tsa@umdhep.bitnet (reachable in a week or so)
aven@umdhep.bitnet (forwarded to tsa@seivax.vmsnet for now)
todd@cincom.umd.edu
todd@umcincom.bitnet
seismo!mimsy!eneevax!todd (only as a last-ditch effort)

Regards,
Todd Aven
the Softwear Sweatshop

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 15:35:46 SET
From: michel debar <MDEBAR%BNANDP11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Textual Data Bases for VMS

We are looking for textual data bases for running on VMS, with a strong
bias towards both efficiency and cheapness. Areas of application cover
both free-text data bases, and thesaurus based systems like Basis.

I would like to get as much information as possible: products, experiences,
etc. If you can reply directly to me at
       mdebar%bnandp11.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
I will collate all the answers and post the summary.

michel debar
fndp computing centre - rue grandgagnage 21 - 5000 namur belgium
tel= + 32 81 220631        earn= mdebar@bnandp11.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 15:27:03 edt
From: lee@cuchmc.chem.columbia.edu (Tim Lee)
Subject: What is SPAN ??

Hi,

Does anybody know what is SPAN, I think it is a network for DEC machines
that may be using a different protocol other than Decnet.

Thanks to all in advance,
Tim Lee

PS: Please send mail to the either of the following addresses.

Bitnet: sy$lee@cuchem

------------------------------

Date: 11 May 87 16:41:00 EDT
From: <charettep@nusc-wpn.arpa>
Subject: Public Domain PHOTO?!

        If anybody has a PD version of PHOTO which isn't simply a SET HOST/LOG,
I'd appreciate you sending me the source, or telling me how I could get
it (ie - FTP).

                                                Thanks!!

          |                     Paul Charette                      |
          |            Naval Underwater Systems Centre             |
          |                      Newport, RI                       |
          |          ARPAmail: <charettep@nusc-wpn.ARPA>           |
          |      UUCPmail: allegra!ihnp4!uriecl!charette.UUCP      |

------------------------------

Date: 11 May 87 18:41:00 GMT+536:14
From: "Andrew J. Grigor" <flash@brl-lvax.ARPA>
Subject: <FF> when using control libraries...

Earlier someone called the print symbiont brain dead since it insisted
on sending a <FF> to the printer after configuring the printer using
specified modules in the control library.  It is merely paranoid.  The
print symbiont has no idea how the modules in the control library will
affect the printer.  By performing a <FF> the printer is in a known
state (upper left hand edge...whereever it may be).

We have a QMS Lasergrafix with the QUIC command controller.  Any QUIC
command (configuration command) causes the printer to advance one line.
I can reset the print position to (0,0) by sending more commands or by
performing a <FF>.  The symbiont developers apparently decided to take
the safe route and always put a <FF>.  Even though I think I understand
why the <FF> was added I believe it should be a qualifier to a queue's
setup to perform a <FF> or not when using control libraries.

I am currently living with the blank pages.  I can sleep at night since
the extra scrap generated goes to the Boy Scout's paper drive and is not
totally wasted.

- Andy Grigor

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 87 22:51:23 GMT
From: ihnp4!alberta!sask!skatter!kuo@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Dr. Peter
      Kuo)
Subject: Re: Submission for mod-computers-vax

In article <8704280633.AA19854@edison.GE.COM>, uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) writes:

> In a recent posting, Charles Herman <HERMAN%NRL.DECNET@NRL.ARPA> writes:
>
> >Where did you get a VT240 emulator which runs on a PC?  I have been looking
> >for such software for quite a while.
>
> Persoft, Inc. has a terminal emulation package called Smarterm which will
> emulate a VT-240 (including ReGIS), Tektronix (unknown number, probably 4010),
> and Data General terminal, including the text/graphics involved in each.  I
> don't have a copy of this software, rather I am looking at a recent magazine
> advertisement.  I have not seen it in action, but the rumor mill says it is a
> fairly decent emulation, running off IBM CGA and Hercules graphics boards
> (along with anything that will emulate THESE, I suppose).  The address of
> Persoft is below.
>
> Disclaimer:  I am in no way connected with ANY of the above companies, except
> that I use/have used some of the products mentioned.  Of course, any of the
> words above may be copyrighted or trademarked: please, no lawsuits.
>
> Persoft, Inc., 465 Science Drive, Madison, WI USA 53711, (608) 273-6000
>
>                                   Kevin Rice
>                              University of Kansas
>                             Lawrence, Kansas 66045
>
> BITNET: KRICE@UKANVAX
> MaBell: (913) 864-2919
> Ocean:  Drop it in and we'll see if it gets here.

I have used ST240 from Persoft and it works nice! The only one complaint I may
have is that in the TEK4010 mode, you move the cross hairs using CTRL-arrow
keys and not the normal arrow keys on the keyboard. I find this bothersome; the
arrow keys send some codes other than the arrow code.

It was also found that in the earlier version (I forgot which one; possibly
v1.0) that there is a little bug with the Kermit transfer. It messes up your
DVI file if you send it from your PC to VMS. I don't know if that has been
fixed yet.

Other that the above comments, ST240 is quite a good VT241 emulator, in my
personal view.

... Peter/

Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
            anything! And I only speak for myself.

End of Info-Vax Digest