Date: 13 May 87 13:10 EST
From: JOHNC%CAD2.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: VMS Mail Logicals for TO: address

Vanilla VMS mail will try logical name translation on a TO: address;  this can
be a real convenience.  For example:

     $ def joe bigvax::joesmith
     $ mail
     MAIL> send
     TO:     joe

works just fine.  However...  I am having problems with addresses which
contain special characters; specifically "!".  The address I use to get to
this conference, for example, is:

     csbvax::mrgate!info-vax@sri-kl.arpa@smtp@tcpgateway

I cannot figure out how to define a logical correctly for that address!
Putting single or double quotes (") around the equivalence name doesn't
help.  The symptom is that the message router (MRGATE) on CSBVAX doesn't
get the "nonstandard" part of the address, the ! and on to the right. Other
ideas for quotes (around the "!infovax...gateway" part, for example generate
"error parsing ..." messages from Mail.

Any hints?

                                                                Thanks

                                                                John Child
                                                                General Electric

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 11:02:51 PDT
From: SITTERUD%PLU@ames-io.ARPA
Subject: Line printers on the 8800

I'm looking for a high speed line printer for an 8800.  Does anyone have
any ideas or info?

Thanks in advance

Anne Sitterud
System Manager
NASA Ames Research Center
sitterud@ames-pluto

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 11:18:52 PDT
From: xrjjm%dirbe.span@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: What is SPAN ?

Comment:   Begin User Supplied Mail Headers.
*Site:     NASA Goddard Space Flight Center - Greenbelt, Maryland, USA.
*Position: 76 Deg. 52' 28.5" West, 38 Deg. 59' 59.8" North.
*From:     John J. McMahon, Systems Programmer, STX - ST Systems Corporation.
*Project:  COBE Science Data Room (CSDR), Code 401.1

>>> Reply For: Info-Vax Digest, Letter from LEE@CUCHMC.CHEM.COLUMBIA.EDU

SPAN is SPAM misspelled ?

Seriously though, SPAN (Space Physics Analysis Network) is a 1600 node
DECnet based network belonging to NASA (United States National Aeronautics
and Space Administration).  Although not all of the machines are DEC equipment
(At least one IBM/MVS node on it), they do use DECnet.

Sites on SPAN: NASA centers (Kennedy, Johnson, Marshall, Ames, Goddard... etc.),
               ESA (European Space Agency) Centers,
               A few military sites (Naval Research Lab, Air Force Geophysics),
               A few universities, corporations... etc.

Gateways:  HEPNET  - Hepnet and Span are linked such that Poor Man's Routing,
                     or using numeric node names can be used for all DECnet
                     commands/tasks.
           TEXNET  - Poor man's routing through the UTSPAN microvax can be
                     used for all DECnet commands/tasks.
           ARPANET - Several mail gateways exist between SPAN and ARPANET,
                     the one that I find works the best is the one at the
                     Jet Propulsion Lab's VLSI Vax.  (I'll defer to
                     Ron Tencati, who is on INFO-VAX to give you the details
                     on his gateway).
           BITNET/UUCP/ETC - Either do not exist, or are not documented.

I hope that fills everyone in...  Regards,
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
John J. McMahon (Fast-Eddie)
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this letter are my own,
            and are not meant to represent the views of my employers,
            officials of the Space Physics Analysis Network or Uncle Sam.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 11:45:31 EDT
From: "Alan D. Cabrera" <13501ADC%MSU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Privleleges for installing

I'm interested in knowing what percentage of software packages need some
sort of privelege to be installed on a VAX.

Thanks.

Alan D. Cabrera                      bitnet: 13501adc@msu
400d Computer Center
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 14:06 PDT
From: Kevin Carosso <KVC@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM>
Subject: Re: PHOTO using my PTY.PAS

> From: MIGLESIAS%UCIVMSA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>
> Here's a slightly modified source for PTY.PAS (comes with Kevin's
> PTY driver) that logs the output to a file called PTY.LOG.  I've used it
> on and off for quite a while, and it's been handy to have around.  Of
> course, you'll need a Pascal compiler to compile it (no, I can't supply
> the executable).

Thanks Mike for making my little test program into a useful gismo.  If people
don't like logging in with PTY.PAS.  You can take out Mike's code that sends a
<CR> into the PTY and replace it with a LIB$SPAWN that specifies the associated
terminal device as SYS$INPUT and SYS$OUTPUT for the spawned subprocess.  You
can get the associated PTY terminal device name by doing a $GETDVI to the
control device (that was assigned as PYA0: by PTY.PAS), pulling the unit number
out of the low-order word of the device dependent characteristics longword
(DVI$_DEVDEPEND), converting to decimal text and concatenating onto the
device prefix "TPA".  Note that a control device name of, e.g. PYA11:, does
not imply a terminal device name of TPA11:.  You have to get the unit number
from the device characteristics!  (Sometimes TPA's don't go away when a
PYA does...).

You should also have an AST routine go off when the spawned subprocess is
deleted to exit from PTY.PAS and get rid of the ^A magic character that
exits PTY now...

        /Kevin Carosso                       kvc@engvax.scg.hac.com
         Hughes Aircraft Co.                kvc%engvax@oberon.usc.edu

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 87 21:19:28 GMT
From: decvax!savax!elrond!amamaral@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Alan Amaral)
Subject: Re: Hardcopy terminal with video output ?

In article <8704300343.AA29757@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, jfisher@USGS3-VMS.ARPA writes:

>    Instead of my current Decwriter terminal as 780 Operator
> console, I would like a hardcopy terminal with video output;
> hardcopy so there is permanent record of what goes on, video
> so an operator can see 'interesting' events/requests from a
> distance away.
>    Does anyone know make/model of a hardcopy terminal having
> video output capability ?

It would probably be much cheaper to use a terminal with a printer port,
and tack on a printer running full time.  We have done just this with
most of the consoles on our computer room and it works out just fine.
Also, a seperate printer can be moved out of the way, or even across the
room where precious desk space is not at a premium.

--
uucp:    ...decvax!elrond!amamaral              I would rather be a
phone:   (603) 885-8075                         fool than a king...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 16:52 CST
From: <HOLLINGE%SASK.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Glenn Hollinger @
      Computing Services)
Subject: Problem with Disk ACP solved (:-)

A few days ago I posted a note about about a problem with using $QIO to
talk to the disk ACP.

>...In short, the
>documentation leaves out the critical point of how to tell when the
>iteration is complete.  So, I have two questions:
>       1) What is the answer? (The DEC-Supported method)
>       2) Is this method documented? (If so, where)

I received a reply from D. Cathey which states how it is to work:

>From:  NET%"DCATHEY%MCCORE%eg.ti.com@RELAY.CS.NET" 13-MAY-1987 11:15
>
>Mr. Hollinger asks about how to tell when iteration is finished when
>querying the disk ACP about current disk quota information using wildcards.
>
>        First, when we build the File Information Block (FIB), we load
>FIB$M_ALL_MEM and FIB$M_ALL_GRP in the FIB$L_CNTRLVAL field.   The FIB$L_WCC
>(Wild Card Context) field is cleared.  Each call to the ACP will return the
>information in the DQF (Disk Quota File) and update FIB$L_WCC.  $QIO will
>return SS$_NODISKQUOTA upon reaching the end of the quota file.
>
>        David L. Cathey
>        Internet: dcathey@ti-eg.com
>                  dcathey@ti-eg.csnet

The problem is I was looking for the SS$_NODISKQUOTA in the wrong place.
I should have looked at the first word of the IO Status Block, not the
return code from $QIOW.  After changing the success/failure test to look
at the correct word, things work much better.  So the answer to 1) is as
described by Mr. Cathey above and the answer to 2) is item 1.7 on page 1-39
of I/O User's Manual, part 1.

Glenn Hollinger,
Computing Services
University of Saskatchewan.

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 87 14:36:18 GMT
From: tedcrane@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (Ted Crane)
Subject: Re: Extracting a Tape Volume Label...

In article <1318@ur-tut.UUCP> agoe@ur-tut.UUCP (Karl Cialli) writes:
>I working on a small integrated BACKUP/TAPE Management Facility for our site
>and I am yet to be able to find a way to extract a magnetic tape's volume
>label for use in a DCL com file.

I assume you don't mind physically mounting the tape on the drive!  There
is no lexical in the world that'll help you if the tape is in the rack!
Seriously, now:

$!
$! First, mount the tape with over=id, so you don't need to know the
$! label.  Note that the second parameter is a space...this is just a
$! placeholder so you can enter a third parameter, TAPE, which will
$! be a convenient logical name for the tape drive.
$!
$ mount/nowrite/override=identification tape-device " " TAPE
$!
$! Now, you can get the volume label fairly easily:
$!
$ VOLUME_LABEL = f$getdvi(TAPE,"volnam")
$!
$! Dismount the tape, use nounload if you are going to reuse it immediately
$!
$ dismount/nounload TAPE

This is based on some code I've used for disks...I haven't tried it on
a tape for a long time, if ever, but it ought to work.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 16:17:42 CDT
From: wucs1!cec2!jjd2775@seismo.CSS.GOV (Jay Jeffrey D'Lugin)
Subject: questions for submission

Some questions for the net:

1)  Is DEC's LP11 interface the same as a Centronix interface?

2)  Can an LP11 (or LP32) be made to drive an LP26 with an LP32 (or
    LP11) interface?

3)  Has anyone heard of hanging an LP26 off a terminal server, thru a
    serial-to-parallel converter box of some kind?  Does someone make
    such a box?

Thanks in advance!
--
Jay D'Lugin   (Images-R-Us)
ihnp4!{wucs!wucec2!jjd2775 | wucs!lucy!jay | comus!dlugin}

------------------------------

Date: Wed 13 May 87 21:51:44-EDT
From: D. M. Rosenblum <DR01@TE.CC.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Clearing Screen

I haven't played with ringing the bell, but the screen-clearing tricks
that I've seen proposed here have the disadvantage that they are
terminal-dependent.  Around here we still have lots of terminals running
as VT52s (e.g. Zenith-19s and MS-DOS Kermit 2.27, 2.28) as well as
VT1xx and other ANSI stuff.  (I presume that the escape sequences are
different for clearing the screen on VT52s and VT1xx's.)  So what I do
is have, inter alia, the commands

$ SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE
$ BL*ANK :== TYPE/PAGE NL:

in my LOGIN.COM.  Assuming that I'm not working on some terminal that's
neither a VT52 nor an ANSI, I can use the BLANK command to clear the
screen without worrying about terminal type.

Daniel M. Rosenblum, Ph.D. candidate
School of Urban and Public Affairs, Carnegie-Mellon University

End of Info-Vax Digest