Date: 13 May 87 07:53:00 EDT
From: "Daniel J. Graham" <graham@drcvax>
Subject: SNAP, a program you might be interested in

Greetings and Hallucinations:

Sometime back I was given a copy of what I believe was a DECUS program,
SNAPSHOT.  It was sort of a fancied up SHOW SYSTEM.  I didn't see much use
for it as it was, except that it did list the image a process was running.

After being a system manager for awhile, and having to STOP/ID=etc
countless processes I decided to rewrite SNAPSHOT and give it ability to
modify, show and delete individual processes.  My end result I call SNAP,
(I know, it's not original, or even cute, but...).

SNAP shows either all processes, or just user processes.  It numbers each
process and allows you to do a show process, (actually a $GETJPI call),
show process continuously, delete process, alter the priority of a
process or suspend and resume a process.

I have packaged the fortran source, a small .COM file and a
help/instruction text into a file called SNAP.KIT.  This file takes up 48
vax blocks, 23428 ASCII characters.

I don't know if anyone at all would be interested in it, but if you are,
mail me directly and I'll ship it off to you.  If your mailer can't handle
that much stuff at a time, tell me and I'll break it into two mailings.  I
don't mind posting it to the net, but as long as the digest form continues,
it can be a pain to sift through, especially if a person does not want the
sources offered.

Let me know your pleasure,

Dan Graham
GRAHAM@DRCVAX.ARPA

DISCLAIMER -- My company doesn't claim me nor my work.  I represent only
myself.  I make no claim to sanity on any level.  Hackito, ergo sum.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 15:42 CDT
From: Dan Stewart <STEWART_SYS%uta.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: LXY22 Printer question.

We've got a DEC LXY22 printer (basically a Printronix 600, actually) and are
trying to get underlining and bold print from Runoff.  Does anyone know how
to do it?  I can't find a manual which has the control sequences that the
printer understands, and am not sure if Runoff has any flags for a printer
type, etc.

Any clues would be appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 87 01:25:25 GMT
From: decvax!dartvax!marston@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (David Marston)
Subject: Re: uucp, news sftw for VMS

In article <279@spectrix.UUCP>, rmc@spectrix.UUCP (Russell Crook) writes:
> Does uucp and/or news software exist on VMS as something that will connect
> directly to the net (and not as some sort of gateway)? I have a VMS system
> which I would like to connect to the net, as my access to the net via UN*x
> is sporadic.
I can't answer about news software, but **DEC-supported** uucp for VMS is
part of version 2.0 of their DEC/Shell product. I have a separate UNIX
machine, so I don't use it myself.
Contact your DECrep for the rest of the story.
.................David Marston          decvax!dartvax!marston
Director, Computer Center, Daniel Webster College, Nashua, NH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 00:19:26 PDT
From: carl@CitHex.Caltech.Edu
Subject: EVE

You say one of the things stopping you from migrating to EVE is the ease
with which you can insert the current date/time into the current buffer?
To do that from EVE, just use the sequence
        <DO>tpu copy_text(fao("!%D",0))<RETURN>
Or define a key to be "tpu copy_text(fao("!%D",0))".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 18:42 PDT
From: Portia 616-2635 <PORTIA@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM>
Subject: re: setting up HP laserjet +

This is how we set up our HP laser jet + on our microvax II.

in systartup.com we have:
$define/system laserjet $terminal7:     ! substibute your terminal line here
$set terminal laserjet/perm/nobroadcast/notypeahead/nowrap -
        /speed=9600/width=80/page=0/device_type = unknown
$set device /spooled=(sys$print, sys$sysdevice:) laserjet
$initialize/queue/start/lib=laserjetlib/separate=(reset=reset) -
        /on=laserjet/default=flag sys$print
$define/form/stock=default portrait 1 /desc="Portrait Courier" -
        /setup=(portrait) /length=60/wid=80/margin=(bottom=0)/nowrap/notrunc
$define/form/stock=default landscape 2 /desc="Landscape"/setup=(landscape) -
        /length=45/wid=132/margin=(bottom=0)/nowrap/notrunc
$define/form/stock=default compressed 3 /desc="Compressed Portrait" -
        /setup=(compressed) /length=80/wid=120/margin=(bottom=0) -
        /nowrap/notrunc

and we have the following modules in sys$library:laserjetlib.tlb
COMPRESSED,LANDSCAPE,PORTRAIT,RESET

where compressed.txt has the following ONE line

8.5v0s0b0T

landscape.txt has the following ONE LINE

portrait.txt has the following ONE line

and reset.txt has the following line

<esc>E

-- Portia Shao              UUCP -- {allegra|ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!portia
   Hughes Aircraft Co.      ARPA -- portia@engvax.scg.hac.com
                             or  -- portia%engvax.uucp@oberon.usc.edu
   (213) 616-2635

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 87 09:51:00 PDT
From: "Oberman, Kevin" <oberman@lll-icdc.arpa>
Subject: Writing lines without <PRINTCR><LF>

It appears the problem with both those trying to clear the screen and those
trying to ring the bell is that $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "string" puts a line
termination at the end of its I/O. One person even called this a bug!

WRITE is supposed to send out a line terminator. An easy way to get around
this when a line termination is not wanted is to use a $ READ/PROMPT="string"
/timeout=0 SYS$COMMMAND DUMMY. This is not real elegant, but it works fine.
It's also handy if you need to send strings to a device that does not want
a <CR><LF> after each message. We use it to dial modems.

                                                R. Kevin Oberman
                                                Lawrence Livermore National

------------------------------

Date: Thu 14 May 87 15:42:03-PDT
From: Richard Steinberger <STEINBERGER@KL.SRI.Com>
Subject: FORTRAN BUG

I found the following FORTRAN I/O problem recently and am posting this message
so that people can be forewarned.  I've notified the DEC folks in Colorado
and they have verified that the "condition" exists.

Here's the relevant code:

      OPEN(10,unit='txa1:',status='new')   !txa1: is any port you can access
      read(10,'(a2)')a_character_variable  !try to read into a char variable

If you decide to CONTROL-C out of the program while you are waiting for
I/O at the read, you will (usually - once the terminal hung) get back to the
VMS prompt.  However the next DCL command you type will be preceeded by
an assortment of run-time error messages from the previous program.
The messages are about a failure to properly close the file and 1 from RMS
about improper file access.  The only way (I could figure out) to avoid this
unpleasantness is to use QIO calls.  There is no similar problem about
CONTROL-Cing when you are waiting for a read.

-Ric Steinberger
steinberger@kl.sri.com

(415) 859 - 4300

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 87 14:49:12 GMT
From: okstate!gregg@RUTGERS.EDU  (Gregg Wonderly)
Subject: Re: <FF> when using control libraries...

in article <8705130050.AA15148@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, "Andrew J. Grigor"
<flash@brl-lvax.ARPA> says:

> Earlier someone called the print symbiont brain dead since it insisted
> on sending a <FF> to the printer after configuring the printer using
> specified modules in the control library.  It is merely paranoid.  The
> print symbiont has no idea how the modules in the control library will
> affect the printer.  By performing a <FF> the printer is in a known
> state (upper left hand edge...whereever it may be).
>
> We have a QMS Lasergrafix with the QUIC command controller.  Any QUIC
> command (configuration command) causes the printer to advance one line.
> I can reset the print position to (0,0) by sending more commands or by
> performing a <FF>.  The symbiont developers apparently decided to take
> the safe route and always put a <FF>.  Even though I think I understand
> why the <FF> was added I believe it should be a qualifier to a queue's
> setup to perform a <FF> or not when using control libraries.
>
> I am currently living with the blank pages.  I can sleep at night since
> the extra scrap generated goes to the Boy Scout's paper drive and is not
> totally wasted.
>
> - Andy Grigor

This problem is relatively easy to fix using the PSM$ (Print Symbiont
Modification) routines.  Below is a simple FORTRAN program that should do the
trick.  The result is that you no longer have the extra page.  If you have
problems with the line counter on the printer advancing, then you should
not use this unless you can add codes to your setup module to reset the
printer back to the top of the page without a page eject.

        implicit none
        include '($psmdef)'  ! You may have to look for these definitions
                             ! in sys$library:starlet.mlb/lib.mlb.
        integer status, psm$print, psm$replace, setup_2
        external sys$exit, pms$print, psm$replace, setup_2

        status = pms$replace (PSM$K_FILE_SETUP_2, setup_2)
        if ((status .and. 1) .ne. 1) call sys$exit (%val(status))

        status = pms$print (16,,)
        call sys$exit (%val(status))

        stop
        end

        function setup_2 (req_id, work_area, func, fdesc, farg)
            implicit none
            include '($psmdef)'
            integer req_id, work_area, func, fdesc, farg
            external SS$_NORMAL

            ! The normal action of the FILE_SETUP_2 module is to insert
            ! a <FF> into the output stream.  The output formatter normally
            ! removes this <FF> because it realizes that the printer has
            ! just received a <FF> character from one or more of the previously
            ! executed modules.  When SETUP modules are used, the output
            ! formatter says "Hey, I'm not at the top of the page anymore,
            ! I better send this <FF> out".  Replacing FILE_SETUP_2 with this
            ! function should keep the extra formfeed from appearing in the
            ! output stream.

            setup_2 = PSM$K_FUNNOTSUP
            if ((func .eq. PSM$K_OPEN) .or. (func .eq. PSM$K_CLOSE)) then

                ! Let OPEN and CLOSE complete normally.

                setup_2 = %loc(SS$_NORMAL)
            else if (func .eq. PSM$K_READ) then

                ! No data is ever placed into the buffer to be added to the
                ! output stream.

                setup_2 = PSM$K_EOF
            endif
        end

For more information, you should review the PSM docs in Vol 8a of the VAX/VMS
4.x manuals.

-----
Gregg Wonderly
Department of Computing and Information Sciences
Oklahoma State University

UUCP: {cbosgd, ea, ihnp4, isucs1, mcvax, uokvax}!okstate!gregg
ARPA:  gregg@A.CS.OKSTATE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 87 22:19:00 EST
From: "ERI::SMITH" <smith%eri.decnet%mghccc@harvard.harvard.edu>
Subject: Mail send/edit across DECNet

I keep doing this stupid thing:

        MAIL> send/edit
        TO:   node::user
        SUBJ: Real long, important memo

I then spend fifteen or twenty minutes composing this important memo
in EDT and exit, expecting it to get sent.  Instead, I get informed
that the partner has exited and the logical link is broken. And, of
course, the temporary file is gone and there is no .JOU.

Obviously there's some question as to whether it is I or VMS Mail
who/which is brain-damaged. Still, I keep wondering whether this
happens to other people and why the VMS manual doesn't warn you
about it. And is there some obvious reason why MAIL doesn't just
try to re-establish the logical link?
Daniel P. B. Smith         ARPA: smith%eri.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu
Eye Research Institute     CompuServe: 74706,661
20 Staniford Street        Telephone (voice): 617 742-3140
Boston, MA 02114
"For my part, I could easily do without the post-office.... To speak
critically, I never received more than one or two letters in my life
that were worth the postage".--Thoreau

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 87 00:49 EDT
From: <V125KJG8%UBVMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Clearing Screen

On clearing screens, beeping terminals, etc...

H19 in non-ANSI mode:  <ESC> H
VT52:  <ESC> H <ESC> J

To get these in a LOGIN.COM file, I will execute a fistful of ANSI sequences
by typing a file called LOGIN.TXT.  If the implied carriage control gets to you,
use VMS Pascal to write a "File of Char" and put your CTRL/G's, ESC's, 9BH's
(for VT200 8-bit ANSIers) to make screens flash, beep terminals, etc. in the
special file.  Rename it to your liking, and have the DCL script type it.

  --Curtis R. Anderson, hacking away at State University of New York at Buffalo.

BITNET: V125KJG8@UBVMS

------------------------------

End of Info-Vax Digest
**********************

tedcrane@batcomputer.UUCP (05/16/87)

This nice fellow:
>From: "ERI::SMITH" <smith%eri.decnet%mghccc@harvard.harvard.edu>
says:
>I keep doing this stupid thing:
>
>        MAIL> send/edit
>        TO:   node::user
>        SUBJ: Real long, important memo
>I then spend fifteen or twenty minutes composing this important memo
>in EDT and exit, expecting it to get sent.  Instead, I get informed
>that the partner has exited and the logical link is broken. And, of
>course, the temporary file is gone and there is no .JOU.

Yes, this and a number of other wonderful things happen to a lot of us.
Personally, I tend to send a message and then realize I should have sent
a copy to myself with SEND/SEND.  It amounts to the same problem, except I
cannot call VMSmail brain-dead when I have been the fool.

THERE IS A SOLUTION!

No, not a brain stem transplant for yours truly! VMSmail thoughtfully includes
a feature for situations like yours and mine, Mr. Smith.

	MAIL> send/last
	To: yourself

From my point of view, I have my copy.  From your point of view, you can
retransmit (I suggest you use FORWARD/NOHEAD/EDIT...the NOHEAD so you don't
exhibit your previous mistake, and the EDIT so you get a chance to update
your message) the saved message at a later time.