[comp.os.vms] DecNet and TCP/IP possible?

dewal@exunido.UUCP (05/14/87)

University of Dormund
Department of Computer Science
Software Technoly Laboratory

Hallo folks,

we want to build up a subnet with two Micro-Vaxes connected with DecNet.
Furthermore we'd like to connect one of these Micro-Vaxes to a TCP/IP-
Net. Has anyone experience with this type of connections? Is it possible
to connect the two Micro-Vaxes without a Delni or another net just with
one transceiver cable? Will these two network-protocols interfere each
other, or can we start them at a time?

Thanks
Sanjay Dewal

(dewal@exunido.uucp or  dewal@unido.uucp)

aad+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (05/28/87)

we've got a UvaxI running (ahem) vms, and it seems to do tcp/ip and decnet
just fine over the same ether  (deqna).  Of course, the deqna flakes out ever
half hour or so, but that's another thing entirely....

tedcrane@batcomputer.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <137900003@exunido.UUCP> dewal@exunido.UUCP writes:
>we want to build up a subnet with two Micro-Vaxes connected with DecNet.
>Furthermore we'd like to connect one of these Micro-Vaxes to a TCP/IP-
>Net. Has anyone experience with this type of connections? Is it possible
>to connect the two Micro-Vaxes without a Delni or another net just with
>one transceiver cable? Will these two network-protocols interfere each
>other, or can we start them at a time?

If you are asking whether TCP/IP and DECnet can coexist on the same
Ethernet cable, the answer is yes.  Whether you use a real cable, thick
or thin, or build up a net using DELNI's, etc., it will work.

You will need non-DEC software to run TCP/IP ... DECnet won't help you there.