[comp.os.vms] VMS/uVMS mandatory security patch

DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET (Denis W. Haskin, Manager, Technical Services) (05/29/87)

From: S. David Streiff <SYSOP1@HARTFORD.BITNET>

From: John McMahon <XRJJM%DIRBE.SPAN@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

> I would like to know where this hole is, however I doubt anyone would be
> willing to ship this information across the network.  Is there anyway,
> myself (or my System Manager) can inquire about it ?  Some official DEC
> source perhaps ?

A couple of weeks ago when the hole first surfaced I called TSC about
it, and while they obviously wouldn't say much, the basic symptoms
are that a user with TMPMBX and NETMBX (which are pretty standard for
all sites, 'cause you're pretty limited without them) can grant his/
herself ALL privileges.  Colorado did claim that (a) accomplishing
this is *not* trivial -- one would really have to know VMS well, and
(b) one really requires access to VMS source code to discover/
accomplish it.  That is also less likely with DEC's attitude toward
fiche since 4.0.

As mentioned previously on this list, TSC was dropping off patches via modem,
but it looks like they've caught up and I just received it again thru the
'proper' channels.  It doesn't say much:

         The patch included in this mandatory update is essential and
         should be installed immediately.  If you choose not to
         install this mandatory update, you may compromise the
         integrity of your operating system.

% Denis W. Haskin                             Manager, Technical Services %
% DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET   Office of Information Systems     (617)793-7193 %
% Clark University               950 Main Street      Worcester MA  01610 %
% "Anyone who _moves_ before Most Holy comes back out will spend the rest %
%  of eternity sipping lava through an iron straw."        - Cerebus      %