[comp.os.vms] An end to this digest discussion!

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET (06/05/87)

> Date:         4 JUN 87 10:31-EDT
> From:         AWPSYS%RITVAX.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
> Subject:      Keep the Digest!!!!
>
> Please KEEP the digest form.   With a small amount of work with
> VMS mail and TPU as your default editor, you can make reading digests
> easier than reading separate messages.

Let us _end_ this discussion about digests!  When did the list moderator
ask for a vote?  It was made clear to us some time ago that info-vax would
not be distributed in digest format.

Now that I've vented my righteous wrath, the hypocrite in me shall now

* Flame ON *

about the concept of digests in general.  Then, since I don't know where
this discussion should rightly take place, somebody please inform me, and
I'll repost it there.  Anyone who wants to come and argue over there will
hopefully leave info-vax to vax info.

This is not directed at you personally, Andrew.  Your comment is quite
correct.  It is easy to undigestify mail if you're using VMSmail and TPU.

I must point out to the list readership that we are a very diverse group.
We have different incarnations of VAXen.  We run VMS, Ultrix-32, BSD, SysV,
and other operating systems.  Many of us use other systems to read our
netmail.

All this suggests that we use lots of different editors and mailers.  You
knew that already.  For example, our campus standard for mail is ALL-IN-1
or Dreams/6, and our standard for editors is WPS-PLUS, EDT, or MASS-11.
What's important is that few of us can change our mail delivery system or
editor at a whim.

Therefore, point one is that posting an undigestifyer for GnuMail/HippoEMACS
or whatever it is that you use does not justify your vote for a digest.

My second point is that the entire BITNET readership generally receives
digests out of order.  This leads directly to indigestion.  It's much more
confusing than receiving occasional individual messages out of order--which
happens less frequently.

My third point is that it is valuable to get messages distributed to
readers in a timely fashion.  I've observed that I get answers to an urgent
request for information within a couple of hours.  I get answers published
in digests after a couple of days.  This would require me to ask people to
reply to me instead of to the list.  If the replies were copied to the
list, there would be increased network traffic.  If not, the readership
would miss the possibly valuable answers.  Timeliness of BITNET distribution
in particular varies inversely to the length of the memo being transmitted.

My fourth point is that the mail loops which cause us to get multiple
copies should be fixed at the sources.  The X.400 standards people are
having in-depth discussions about how to avoid mail loops.  Digest format
does not eliminate the problem, certainly at least for the list moderator.

* Flame OFF *

Asbestos suit donned.  Fire away.  _Somewhere other than info-vax_.

Ed <MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET>