[comp.os.vms] TWG Mailer

jwhitney@RITA.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU.UUCP (06/02/87)

To get the TWG mailer to forward off system (and have VMS MAIL accept the
requisite comment)

do:

MAIL> SET FORWARD "MAILER ! <name@node.routing..>"

This works just fine at this university.

Jay Whitney
------

oberman@LLL-ICDC.ARPA ("Oberman, Kevin") (06/05/87)

>To get the TWG mailer to forward off system (and have VMS MAIL accept the
>requisite comment)
>
>do:
>
>MAIL> SET FORWARD "MAILER ! <name@node.routing..>"
>
>This works just fine at this university.

I have tried this form with no success. The mail forwarded to `MAILER' has
only what was actually entered in the `To:' field, not the forwarding
information. As a result, the attempt to forward onto the net fails and
the message is dropped.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					arpa: oberman@lll-icdc.arpa
					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: I an not endorsing any product. I work for Uncle Sam and to
do so would make him upset. I further take no resposibility for the accuracy
of this information. I believe it is correct, but if it's not I can only
say "Sorry".

------

jeff@umbc3.UUCP (06/07/87)

In article <8706021909.AA04677@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "UW" <jwhitney@rita.acs.washington.edu> writes:
>To get the TWG mailer to forward off system (and have VMS MAIL accept the
>requisite comment)
>
>do:
>
>MAIL> SET FORWARD "MAILER ! <name@node.routing..>"
>
>This works just fine at this university.
>
>Jay Whitney
>------

I have tried to use this same approach to forward mail and have been
unsuccessful. The reason is that VMS mail does not replace the
original TO: address with the forwarded one specified in the
SET FORWARD command. The result is the TWG mailer dropping the
mail because it normally only has an address of the form node::user
in the TO: field.

If you have found something different, please post it.

Thanks,
Jeffrey Burgan
Systems Staff
University of Maryland