[comp.os.vms] $status and MAIL$xxx logicals

nagy%warner.hepnet@LBL.ARPA (06/09/87)

>From:         "Kevin W. Mullet" <IC97@NTSUVAX>
>    Does anyone know the what information is encoded where in this
>    symbol?
>      show symb $status
>      $STATUS == "%X00010001"

The DCL symbol $status contains the status code from the most recent
DCL operation or image exit.  This is just a VMS condition code.  In
the case shown, this is RMS$_OK (Success return from RMS).

>    Additionally, does anyone know anything about the following
>    logicals?
>
>    (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
>         "MAIL$PROTOCOL_JNET" = "JAN_JMAILPROT"
>         "MAIL$PROTOCOL_PROFS" = "JAN_PROFSPROT"
>         "MAIL$SYSTEM_FLAGS" = "7"

The logical name MAIL$SYSTEM_FLAGS is used by the mail system as a
set of binary-encoded flags.  This information was lifted from the
VAX/VMS Mail Utility Reference Manual, pages MAIL-14 and MAIL-15:

	bit 0:	Indicates that the node is part of a homogeneous
		VAXCluster and that all disks are accessible to the
		cluster and that there is a single SYSUAF file.
		If possible, MAIL will bypass DECnet and write
		directly to the recipient's mail file.

	bit 1:	Directs MAIL to set the cluster breakthrough flag
		when issuing the $BRKTHRU service to notify the
		recipient of new mail.

	bit 2:	Directs MAIL to include the time the message was
		delivered in the notification message.

I believe the other MAIL$xxx logical names have to do with Jnet
software for handling non-VMSMail protocols as evidenced by other
VAXes here.

= Frank J. Nagy
= Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
= HEPNET: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/220 Batavia, IL 60510