[comp.os.vms] CHECKSUM

graham@DRCVAX.ARPA.UUCP (06/09/87)

Greetings and Gropings:

I stumbled on the verb CHECKSUM today.  Now, I admit only to limited
experience with VAX verbs of the esoteric sort.  I assume that CHECKSUM is
supposed to give a checksum value for a file or image.  when i run it, it
prompts for a filename, then comes back to the prompt with no further
information.

By using VERB, I discovered that it had a couple of qualifiers, IMAGE and
FILE.  It also has an output qualifier.  I can't get it to give me an
answer.  No mater what I use, it will not give a checksum for a file/image.

I suppose that I'm making a stupid, obvious mistake, but I'm blind to it.
Could someone please tell me how to get it to work???

Hackito, ergo sum.

Dan Graham, Dynamics Research Corporation, (617) 475-9090 Ext. 2352
GRAHAM@DRCVAX.ARPA

------

nigam%mwvms@MITRE.ARPA.UUCP (06/10/87)

--------
>I stumbled on the verb CHECKSUM today.  Now, I admit only to limited
>experience with VAX verbs of the esoteric sort.  I assume that CHECKSUM is
>supposed to give a checksum value for a file or image.  when i run it, it
>prompts for a filename, then comes back to the prompt with no further
>information.

Checksum can be used to compute a separate value for
different part of an executable file.
Checksum/file (default) creates a symbol with the result.
Examples of both follow:

$checksum/image tab.exe
file USER2:[VOAOP.ALOK]TAB.EXE;1
image section %D'1' checksum is %X'69211A27'
image section %D'2' checksum is %X'270DC263'
image section %D'3' checksum is %X'E23A9D20'
image section %D'4' checksum is %X'7ED61A58'
image section %D'5' checksum is %X'100B731B'
image header checksum is %X'3CBF990A'
checksum of all image sections is %X'C2CB2C27'

$checksum tab.exe
$show symbol checksum$checksum
  CHECKSUM$CHECKSUM = "826517707"

Alok C. Nigam
M14875%MWVM@MITRE.ARPA

DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET (Denis W. Haskin, Manager, Technical Services) (06/11/87)

> From:         "Daniel J. Graham" <GRAHAM@DRCVAX>
>
> Greetings and Gropings:
>
> I stumbled on the verb CHECKSUM today.  Now, I admit only to limited
> experience with VAX verbs of the esoteric sort.  I assume that CHECKSUM is
> supposed to give a checksum value for a file or image.  when i run it, it
> prompts for a filename, then comes back to the prompt with no further
> information.
>
> I suppose that I'm making a stupid, obvious mistake, but I'm blind to it.
> Could someone please tell me how to get it to work???

O$ checksum login.com
O$ show sym checksum$checksum
  CHECKSUM$CHECKSUM = "850439196"
O$
O$ checksum/file login.com
O$ show sym checksum$checksum
  CHECKSUM$CHECKSUM = "850439196"
O$
O$ checksum/image [.bitnet]daytype.exe
file STAFF$ROOT:[DHASKIN.BITNET]DAYTYPE.EXE;3
image section %D'1' checksum is %X'3C025D03'
image section %D'2' checksum is %X'0FB23CC8'
image section %D'3' checksum is %X'42081862'
image header checksum is %X'584C225F'
checksum of all image sections is %X'71B879A9'
O$ show sym checksum$checksum
  CHECKSUM$CHECKSUM = "1907915177"
O$
O$ logox