[comp.os.vms] binding disk packs into volume sets

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET (06/10/87)

> Date:         Wed, 10 Jun 87 12:01 EDT
> From:         JPENNY@UNCG
> Subject:      binding disk packs into volume sets
>
> has anyone had any experience binding multiple disk packs into volume sets?
> we have two ra81s bound together, and have had no trouble. so we are looking
> to add a third.

We are currently running two RA81s bound together, and have not encountered
any problems.  RA81s seem to be pretty reliable (at least, if there is a
problem, it's usually caught in advance of a failure and we can plan the
down time).  I'm assuming I may have to bind an additional disk in the
future.  The first volume in the set gets hit hardest because the index is
on that volume.  You may want to monitor your I/O rates with an eye to
possibly increasing caches for that volume.

Ed <MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET>

rcb@rti.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <8706111652.AA27223@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET writes:
>> has anyone had any experience binding multiple disk packs into volume sets?
>> we have two ra81s bound together, and have had no trouble. so we are looking
>> to add a third.
>
>We are currently running two RA81s bound together, and have not encountered
>any problems.  RA81s seem to be pretty reliable (at least, if there is a
>problem, it's usually caught in advance of a failure and we can plan the
>down time).  I'm assuming I may have to bind an additional disk in the
>future.  The first volume in the set gets hit hardest because the index is
>on that volume.  You may want to monitor your I/O rates with an eye to
>possibly increasing caches for that volume.

I have recently discovered a bug in volume sets. TSC is aware of it but
does not know if it is fixed in 4.6. I am running 4.5. The bug is in the
linker and it will not find an object file that has been referenced with
a ".LINK" directive if the object file and it's containing directory are both
not on the root volume of the volume set. Most people will not have a problem
with this as the LINK directive is not widely used with one major exception.
VAX Ada creates an object file with LINK directives when it wants to link a
program from an ada library. If the library directory file is not on the
root volume, any objects that are referenced that are not on the root
volume will not be found. Doing and "ACS EXPORT /MAIN FOO" does not have this
problem.

For those of you that don't know, the volume a file is on in a volume set
is indicated by the third number of the file FID (directory/full will show this)

I have not found this to be a big problem. I simply make sure the directory file
for my ada libraries is on volume 1 and there are no problems. The way to do
this is if the root volume does not have the most free space, keep creating big
files until it does and the create the ada library directory. you can then
delete the big files. I like to use sysgen for this since I can just tell it
a size and it will make a file that big.

--
					Random (Randy Buckland)
					Research Triangle Institute