[comp.os.vms] posting security patch

JMS@ARIZMIS.BITNET.UUCP (06/08/87)

AWALKER asks "why not post the patch?"

The reason is that software maintenance is something you pay
for.  There are lots of folks out there that don't pay for
software maintenance, and thus are not "entitled" to
any patch by Digital.  The patch is copyright Digital Equipment
Corporation, and anyone that distributes it is (a) violating
copyright laws and more likely (b) putting their own software
maintenance contract at risk.  If Digital catches you putting
something like that out, they have a variety of recourses
available to them, starting with sending nasty letters to your
local rep, through revoking your software licenses (you
didn't realize that they can do that if you violate the
Terms/Conditions you implicitly signed when you bought the
license? Read the fine print again...), and up to the lawsuit level.

I think that Digital has started to send out the patch to
maintenance customers anyway (ie, you don't have to call to get
it).  If you don't get the patch in the next week, remember
that your local Digital office is empowered to authorize you
to get it from some other customer.  I believe that the local
office also has enough latitude to give you such a patch
even if you're not on maintenance (although this may be a
local *informal* decision).

We have two VMS maintenance contracts and got the patch
(unsolicited) for one of them last week.

+-------------------------------+
| Joel M Snyder                 |            BITNET: jms@arizmis.BITNET
| Univ of Arizona Dep't of MIS  |          Internet: (temp. out of order)
| Tucson, Arizona 85721         |   Pseudo-PhoneNET: (602) 621-2748
+-------------------------------+              ICBM: 32 13 N / 110 58 W
(I have gotten into trouble too many times to put any faith in disclaimers)
"There's nothing here that an overdose of Seconal won't cure."

mlinar@poisson.usc.edu.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <8706080744.AA11345@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> JMS@ARIZMIS.BITNET writes:
>AWALKER asks "why not post the patch?"
>
>The reason is that software maintenance is something you pay
>for.  There are lots of folks out there that don't pay for
>software maintenance, and thus are not "entitled" to
>any patch by Digital.  The patch is copyright Digital Equipment
>Corporation, and anyone that distributes it is (a) violating
>copyright laws and more likely (b) putting their own software
>maintenance contract at risk.  If Digital catches you putting
>to get it from some other customer.  I believe that the local
>office also has enough latitude to give you such a patch
>even if you're not on maintenance (although this may be a
>local *informal* decision).

So what you are saying in effect is that if you did not buy a maintainance
agreement for your car and the manufacturer discovered that every key
works in every car, they will not tell you how to fix it?

Maybe this is a poor analogy, but *bug* fixes are one thing and SECURITY
problems are another.  In particular, if you bought the product to have
a secure o.s. and it is NOT, the manufacturer made a false claim and IS
liable.

Before this drops to namecalling, it seems that DEC is very sensitive about
this bug/patch and, as far as I can tell, is providing the information
regardless of maintainance agreement - it is just more difficult if you do
not have one.  Unlike other bugs, this one has some legal footing for non-
maintainance agreement customers, so this is a wise move.

-Mitch

tihor@acf4.UUCP (06/15/87)

Actually Mitch the problem is that if you do not have a software
service contract (at least at self-maintenace level) its hard for DEC
to find out who you are. AWith this problem as with a few mandatory
hardware FCOs in the past DEC is trying to reach all customers
regardless of maintenace contract status for precisely these reasons.

I would not be suprised if the publicity surrounding the patch was part
of the reason for its wide distribution.

A car manufacturer with the lock problem you mentioned, even on 1% of
its cars could reach everyone by telling the media, but would probably
go bankrupt from people sueing them because their cars were stolen
after the announcement.

Also if a DEC Salesman told you VMS 4.4 or 4.5 was "Secure" in the
C2-rating style they were wrong and you should tell their boss and have
them fired, or at least reassigned.  They might have made a reasonable
presumption but they failed.