[comp.os.vms] IMSL Subroutines?

CURLEY@WHARTON.UPENN.EDU ("Curley, Robert F.") (06/14/87)

One of our professors spent last year on sabatical at Oxford University
where he discovered the "IMSL Subroutines".  (IMSL was not defined
for me.)

He says that they are a collection of routines that are readily available
and easy to use.  He is an excellent medical physicist and a 'getting by'
programmer.

The questions are: (1) Is there a way to get the "IMSL Subroutines" for
our VAX?  (2) Failing 1, is there anything like that collection that will
run on our VAX?

Thanks,
		--Curley

.__. ._ _.._  ..._ ___ _... .. ... _._. .._ __  _.. .  .__ ...__ .... .__. __.
PPPPP   EEEEEE N    N N    N !Robert F. Curley        Curley@Wharton.UPENN.edu
P    P  E      NN   N NN   N !Division of Medical Physics
PPPPP   EEEE   N N  N N N  N !Department of Radiation Therapy
P       E      N  N N N  N N !University of Pennsylvania
P       E      N   NN N   NN !P.O. Box 7806
P       EEEEEE N    N N    N !Philadelphia, PA 19101             (215)662-3083
.__. ._ _.._  ..._ ___ _... .. ... _._. .._ __  _.. .  .__ ...__ ....-_._

DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET (Denis W. Haskin, Manager, Technical Services) (06/16/87)

> Date:         Sun, 14 Jun 87 15:46 EST
> From:         "Curley, Robert F." <CURLEY@WHARTON-10.ARPA>
> Subject:      IMSL Subroutines?
>
> One of our professors spent last year on sabatical at Oxford University
> where he discovered the "IMSL Subroutines".  (IMSL was not defined for me.)
>
> He says that they are a collection of routines that are readily available
> and easy to use.  He is an excellent medical physicist and a 'getting by'
> programmer.
>
> The questions are: (1) Is there a way to get the "IMSL Subroutines" for our
> VAX?  (2) Failing 1, is there anything like that collection that will run
> on our VAX?

"The IMSL Library is a collection of 450 [this may have been increased]
subroutines that serve as building blocks in the development of Fortran
application programs [but since they conform to the VAX calling standard
one can really call them from any VAX language]."  These subroutines are
primarily mathematical and statistical in nature: analysis of variance,
basic statistics, categorized data analysis, differential equations;
quadrature; differentiation, eigensystem analysis, forecasting;
econometrics; time seriesl transforms, generating and testing of random
numbers, interpolation; approximation; smoothing, linear algebraic
equations, mathematical and statistical special functions, nonparametric
statistics, observation structure; multivariate statistics, regression
analysis, sampling, utility functions, vector & matrix arithmetic, zeros
and extrema; linear programming.

We have had the library here at Clark for a number of years but it was not
sufficiently utilized to warrant the maintenance fees and we dropped it
last year. I suggest you contact IMSL, Inc at:

        2500 ParkWest Tower One
        2500 CityWest Boulevard
        Houston, Texas 77042-3020
        713-782-6060

P.S. Standard disclaimer applies; I am not affiliated with the above-mentioned
organization(s) in any way and this is by no means an endorsement or commitment
by myself or my employer.  Any information supplied is correct to the best of
my knowledge.

% Denis W. Haskin                             Manager, Technical Services %
% ----------------------------------------------------------------------- %
% DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET   Office of Information Systems     (617)793-7193 %
% Clark University               950 Main Street      Worcester MA  01610 %

jeff@umbc3.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <8706151556.AA11547@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CURLEY@WHARTON.UPENN.EDU ("Curley, Robert F.") writes:
>One of our professors spent last year on sabatical at Oxford University
>where he discovered the "IMSL Subroutines".  (IMSL was not defined
>for me.)

   IMSL stands for International Mathematical and Statistical Library

>The questions are: (1) Is there a way to get the "IMSL Subroutines" for
>our VAX?

   Its available from IMSL (713) 782-6069

       IMSL
       2500 ParkWest Tower One
       2500 CityWest Boulevard
       Houston, Texas 77042-3020

   For our VAX, it costs 1,750 for one copy, educational discount.
   Annual renewal is 1,250.

Good Luck,

Jeffrey Burgan
Univ. of Maryland