[comp.os.vms] MicroVAX Disk Formatter

KBCASEY@GALLUA.BITNET (Kevin Casey) (06/08/87)

        We recently tried to move a DEC RD52 disk from a MicroVAXII
to a GPX workstation.  After a modest amount of grief, I learned that
the RQDX2 formatted the RD52 in a way which prevents the RQDX3 controller
in the GPX from recognizing the disk.  It must be re-formatted by the
newer controller.
        I would appreciate any advice about where I can obtain a
formatting program for either the GPX or the MicroVAX II.
        Thanks for any consideration you can give us.

        Kevin Casey
        Gallaudet University
        Washington, DC 20002

tli@sargas.usc.edu.UUCP (06/09/87)

In article <8706090243.AA28225@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> KBCASEY@GALLUA.BITNET (Kevin Casey) writes:

            I would appreciate any advice about where I can obtain a
    formatting program for either the GPX or the MicroVAX II.

You need to purchase the maintenance diagnositics from DEC.

--
Tony Li - USC University Computing Services	"Fene mele kiki bobo"
Uucp: oberon!tli						-- Joe Isuzu

hunt%fts121.DECnet@LLL-ICDC.ARPA.UUCP (06/09/87)

Kevin Casey writes:

>        We recently tried to move a DEC RD52 disk from a MicroVAXII
>to a GPX workstation.  After a modest amount of grief, I learned that
>the RQDX2 formatted the RD52 in a way which prevents the RQDX3 controller
>in the GPX from recognizing the disk.  It must be re-formatted by the
>newer controller.
>        I would appreciate any advice about where I can obtain a
>formatting program for either the GPX or the MicroVAX II.
>        Thanks for any consideration you can give us.

There is an expanded version of the user diagnostics that come with a
MicroVAX II or GPX (actually the same basic engine) that contain a section
that will format the hard disks. Your friendly DEC salesperson would
be more than willing to sell you this sooftware. If you've been buying
your stuff through DEC and included installation, or have your system under
contract, your friendly DEC field service person should have a diagnostic
capable of formatting these disks.

Dave Hunt

I work for the government, and as such, I endorse no product. In fact, I
disavow any knowledge of anything.

------
------

coyne@tifsie.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <8706090243.AA28225@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, KBCASEY@GALLUA.BITNET (Kevin Casey) writes:

>         We recently tried to move a DEC RD52 disk from a MicroVAXII
> to a GPX workstation.  After a modest amount of grief, I learned that
> the RQDX2 formatted the RD52 in a way which prevents the RQDX3 controller
> in the GPX from recognizing the disk.  It must be re-formatted by the
> newer controller.
>         I would appreciate any advice about where I can obtain a
> formatting program for either the GPX or the MicroVAX II.
>         Thanks for any consideration you can give us.

The DEC diagnostic software supplied with your system(s) might be capable
of supporting the format function.  The customer diagnostics version
2.0 and later have the diagnostic/formatter "built-in", this was
evidently DEC's response to a **large** number of customers who were
tired of having to call DEC Field Service to format disks...

If you are not one of the fortunate souls to have a 2.0 release of the
customer diagnostics, you will have to purchase a package from DEC,
known as MDM.  This is the Maintenace Diagnostic package that the
DEC Field Service types use, and has the formatter included.  Beware,
the customer version and the MDM version are based on common software
(the customer version is actually a subset of the MDM package).

MDM/the customer diagnostics will work on any flavor MicroVAX II, be it
GPX, BA123, BA23, etc.  The MDM version cost us $2500, plus $680 per year
for updates (you also get various loopback connectors and some excellent
documentation with this package...), both non-discountable.

You have to boot the diagnostics from either RX50 floppy, or TK50 tape
to tell what version you've got, this information will be displayed on
the initial time/date screen that appears several minutes (15 minutes
give or take :-( ) after booting...

Hope this helps.

-----------------

Coyne Gibson
Texas Instruments
Process Automation Center
P.O. Box 655012, M/S 3635
Dallas, TX 75243

TI-MSG	FSIC
UUCP: 	{uiucdcs!convex!smu, {rice, sun!texsun}!ti-csl}!tifsie!coyne
DECNET: TIFSIE::coyne
Voice:	(214) 995-2786

LOGANJ@BYUVAX.BITNET (06/16/87)

From: LOGANJ@byuvax
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: MicroVAX Disk Formatter

Replace this line with your message (press CTRL U first)