[comp.os.vms] Layered products and VMS

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET (06/16/87)

> Date:         12 Jun 87 17:08:22 GMT
> From:         Ed Lisle <VRDXHQ!VERDIX!QTC!ED@SEISMO.CSS.GOV>
> Subject:      Re: Why no system() under VAX C
>
> 1. WHY should layered products become dependant on the version of VMS.
>    BAD.

There is a legitimate reason for this.  In order for the operating system,
which is written in a number of Digital languages, to be stable, Digital is
obliged to release the run-time libraries with the operating system instead
of with the language.  This is so that VMS behavior doesn't change if you
install a new version of a layered product.  In fact, the run-time
libraries for most of Digital's languages come with VMS.  What you're
really buying with C or any other languages is the compiler (and
documentation).

It does certainly seem a bit cockeyed, until you get used to thinking of an
operating system update as being an update to the run-time library as well
as to the utilities and kernel.

I'm sure you can run V2.3 confidently on V4.4 or V4.5.  You just won't get
the new run-time library function system() until V4.6, if I interpret what
you're saying correctly.

> 2. Release notes are part of the installation procedure and no longer (for
>    some time now) on hard copy.  Hey DEC,  how do we know if this product
>    should be installed or not.  If you are telling us that VMS 4.6 is
>    required to make use of VAX C 2.3, then I would not have installed this
>    version yet.  Now your support group is saying that we should actually
>    wait for VMS to catch up.  BAD.

The installation procedure (unless C is way out of line this time) provides
for this.  It asks you whether you want to access the release notes only,
instead of performing the installation.  Check your installation guide for
sure.

> 3. It turns out that VMS HELP is not updated with the release notes anyway,
>    although SYS$HELP:VAXC023.RELEASE_NOTES has the info.

That sounds like an error to me, too.  If you SPR it, they probably won't
make the same mistake again.  Be sure to SPR it.