[comp.os.vms] sub-processes and logout and so forth

gkn@LUAC.SDSC.EDU.UUCP (06/18/87)

	From:	 carl@CitHex.Caltech.Edu (Carl J Lydick)
	Subject: Re: Changing symbol info in spawned processes
	Date:	 Wed, 17 Jun 87 08:13:01 PDT

	Since he appears generally to use the "logout" command to terminate
	his current process, executing the command

	        $ SET COMMAND/DELETE=(LOGOUT,EOJ)

	in his LOGIN.COM should solve his problem.

Being a Tops-10/TOPS-20 fan, I define the following two commands in my
LOGIN.COM file:

PUSH  :== Spawn/Input='F$Logical("TT")'/Output='F$Logical("TT")'
POP   :== "If F$Length(F$GetJpi("""",""Terminal"")) .eq. 0 Then Stop/ID=0"

While the PUSH command doesn't change the prompt (which I think was what the
original question was about ;-), the POP command is useful because it will let
you POP all the way back up to your root process but won't clobber it.  You
could easily enough define LOGOUT and EOJ to be the same thing (and not have
to delete them from your command tables ...).

Waiting for my other VAX to come back to life (so I can get back to real work),

gkn
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC
Span:	SDSC::GKN (27.1)