[comp.os.vms] Looking for MACRO program to drop DTR

jas@mulga.oz (John Shepherd) (06/19/87)

I am posting this query for a friend ... please excuse if the jargon
is inappropriate ...

We are looking for a program in MACRO to drop DTR on tty lines for
two seconds and then raise it again. The reason we are looking is
that we have been having problems with people using modems who do
a disconnect before logging out, and the system leaves their login
connected to the modem line for the next person who uses it (i.e.
the next person who uses the modem gets the previous users login
session).

Replies by mail please, unless you think this problem is of general
enough interest to splash all over the net.

Thanks in advance, jas
John Shepherd
Department of Computer Science,
University of Melbourne,                CSNET: jas%mulga.oz@australia
Parkville, 3052,                        ARPA: jas%mulga.oz@seismo.css.gov
AUSTRALIA                               UUCP: ...!munnari!mulga!jas

helen@uhccux.UUCP (Helen Rapozo) (06/20/87)

In article <2051@mulga.oz>, jas@mulga.oz (John Shepherd) writes:
> I am posting this query for a friend ... please excuse if the jargon
> is inappropriate ...
>
> We are looking for a program in MACRO to drop DTR on tty lines for
> two seconds and then raise it again. The reason we are looking is
> that we have been having problems with people using modems who do
> a disconnect before logging out, and the system leaves their login
> connected to the modem line for the next person who uses it (i.e.
> the next person who uses the modem gets the previous users login
> session).
>
> Replies by mail please, unless you think this problem is of general
> enough interest to splash all over the net.
>
> Thanks in advance, jas

We had the same problem here too but using MACRO is not needed.  If
the modem is directly connected to your VAX you could try this
instead:

1) Connection to the modem and the VAX

	VAX		MODEM

	2 -------------  2
	3 -------------  3
	5 -------------  5
	6 -------------  6
	7 -------------  7
	8 -------------  8
	20 ------------ 20

2) Add this line to your SYSTARTUP.COM or whatever file you wish
that defines the ports when the system starts (or it can be issued
from a priviledged account):

	SET TERMINAL unit /PERM/MODEM/HANGUP/SECURE/DIALUP

	where unit is the port id of the of where the modem is
connected to.  You could also add a /SPEED=baud rate if you wish.

3) The above works on a VAX 8200 with DH-11 and a Hayes smartmodem 1200.

Please let me know if this works for you or not.

		Helen Rapozo