[comp.os.vms] RTL's shipped with OS updates

stevesu@copper.TEK.COM (Steve Summit) (06/21/87)

In article <8706182037.AA06476@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA writes:
> The alternative is to ship the OTS with BOTH the layered product AND VMS.
> This leads to all sorts of unpleasantnesses, as it becomes much more
> difficult to determine what works on what system, and what should be
> installed on what system.  For example, if the VAX C V2.3 kit containing
> the same OTS that shipped with VMS V4.6 were installed on a V4.7 (or
> whatever) system, it would replace a newer, presumably improved version of
> the OTS with an older one.

The second part of the problem is easy to solve if the
installation procedures are smart enough to check version
numbers, and avoid overwriting a newer version with an older one.
(It might help if ANALYZE/IMAGE had a way of putting the IDENT
field into a symbol, for use by the calling procedure.)
KITINSTAL is already outrageously complex; adding version number
checking couldn't make it much worse.

By the way, what does OTS stand for?  (I shouldn't ask this; now
the net will be flooded with several thousand responses.)

                                           Steve Summit
                                           stevesu@copper.tek.com