[comp.os.vms] Jnet problems

SDB5442@TAMSIGMA.BITNET (06/24/87)

>A good way to simulate the problem is to do a SEND/FILE/BINARY BLAH.EXE
>to yourself.  Then go into RECEIVE and do a RECEIVE/BINARY BLAH.EXE.
>If you do a DIR/FULL on the original, it is a Fixed block file.
>The RECEIVEd version is Variable length, Carriage control.

Well, I've found a solution to get the .EXE files to work right.  You need to
use CONVERT/FDL to convert the received file to a fixed block file again.  The
file CON.FDL is shown below:

RECORD
        FORMAT                  fixed
        SIZE                    512

  For the given example, you type:  $CONVERT/FDL=CON BLAH.EXE BLAH1.EXE
and BLAH1.EXE will be executable.

Oh, you also need to send it with the command:
$SEND/FILE/BINARY/NETDATA BLAH.EXE.

Stewart Baker
Manager, VLSI
Texas A&M University
SDB5442@TAMVENUS

ERIC@UOFT02.BITNET (06/24/87)

From:   info-vax@sri-kl.arpa
To:     ERIC
Subj:   Jnet problems

Date:         Wed, 24 Jun 87 09:51 CST
Sender:       INFO-VAX Discussion <MD4I@CMUCCVMA>
From:         AC02@NTSUVAX
Subject:      Jnet problems
To:           Eric Rostetter <ERIC@UOFT02>

> People on my system have been having several problems with JNET, but
> one of them stands out.  The inability of JNET to receive binary files
> correctly (I know that VMSDUMP works between VAXes).  The problem
> was originally noticed when a user on CMS (which runs on a IBM370 clone)
> sent a binary file to another user on the VAX.  The file was a program
> for an IBM-PC.  When the guy downloaded it from the VAX, it didn't
> work.

> I looked at the problem and finally traced it down to the JNET receive
> A good way to simulate the problem is to do a SEND/FILE/BINARY BLAH.EXE
> to yourself.  Then go into RECEIVE and do a RECEIVE/BINARY BLAH.EXE.
> If you do a DIR/FULL on the original, it is a Fixed block file.
> The RECEIVEd version is Variable length, Carriage control.

You are right, receive does mess up the file and record attributes...  It
is a simple (?) matter to correct though,  using the DCL convert command.
Below is the needed FDL file used in a run, showing that it actually will
work right.   Note that I send the file with the /netdata and the /binary
switches to make absolutely sure that no lines are wrapped and no control
characters are stripped, and receive it with /binary and /special to make
sure that nothing else is lost during the receive  (CMS I beleive will do
netdata binary format so this should be no problem for your application).
You can type in the FDL file by hand in an editor, but that is hard work!
I suggest you consult a manual to learn how to use EDIT/FDL instead... or
just try using it without the manual -- it is menu driven and fairly easy
to figure out on your own (that is how I did it!)

--------

$ send/file/binary/netdata [eric.language]language.exe eric

(UOFT02) - Received network file LANGUAGE.EXE from ERIC@UOFT02

$ rece/binary/special language.exe
Copied NETDATA file
from:   LANGUAGE.EXE;1
to:     SYS$SYSROOT:[ERIC]LANGUAGE.EXE;1

$ run language.exe
Error activating image LANGUAGE.EXE
Image file DRWHO$DUA0:[SYS0.][ERIC]LANGUAGE.EXE;1
Image header descriptor length is invalid

$ type fdl.fdl
IDENT   "24-JUN-1987 13:23:14   VAX-11 FDL Editor"

FILE
        BEST_TRY_CONTIGUOUS     yes
        ORGANIZATION            sequential

RECORD
        CARRIAGE_CONTROL        none
        FORMAT                  fixed
        SIZE                    512

$ convert/fdl=fdl language.exe language.exe

$ run language

*                                                   *
* 0) Get HELP on this program                       *
* 1) TEST VOCABULARY (YOU GIVE ENGLISH MEANING)     *
* 2) TEST VOCABULARY (YOU GIVE FOREIGN MEANING)     *
* 3) TEST PHRASES    (YOU GIVE ENGLISH MEANING)     *
* 4) TEST PHRASES    (YOU GIVE FOREIGN MEANING)     *
* 5) TEST VERBS      (YOU GIVE ENGLISH MEANING)     *
* 6) TEST VERBS      (YOU GIVE FOREIGN MEANING)     *
* 7) TEST ADJECTIVES (YOU GIVE ENGLISH MEANING)     *
* 8) TEST ADJECTIVES (YOU GIVE FOREIGN MEANING)     *
* 9) END PROGRAM                                    *

ENTER OPTION: ? 9
$ bye
  ERIC         logged out at 24-JUN-1987 13:41:50.25

------

Hope this helps...

Ciao,
Eric