[comp.os.vms] UNDELIVERABLE MAIL REPORTS THAT ARE FALSE

graham%drcv04.DECnet@DRCVAX.ARPA ("DRCV04::GRAHAM") (06/22/87)

Greetings and Vituperations:

Can somebody explane to me why every, EVERY, **E V E R Y** message which I
send to INFO-VAX causes me to receive strange 'undeliverable mail' messages
from nodes I have never heard of.

I know that the messeges I send are getting through, because I see them as
postings on INFO-VAX.  But for every message posted, I get one or two
messages back from apparently automatic systems telling me that my mail was
undeliberable for various reasons.

These 'undeliverable mail' messages come from nodes which are (as far as I
am comcerned) totally off the wall.  If my mail was, in fact, not getting
through, I would apreciate knowing.  I find it a pain to have to deal with
messages informing me of an untruth.

Can someone explain this, or are others having the same problem?

Dan Graham
GRAHAM@DRCVAX.ARPA

p.s. digest or no-digest doesn't make any difference to this strange
occurance.
------

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (06/23/87)

>Can somebody explane to me why every, EVERY, **E V E R Y** message which I
>send to INFO-VAX causes me to receive strange 'undeliverable mail' messages
>from nodes I have never heard of.
>
>I know that the messeges I send are getting through, because I see them as
>postings on INFO-VAX.  But for every message posted, I get one or two
>messages back from apparently automatic systems telling me that my mail was
>undeliberable for various reasons.
>
>These 'undeliverable mail' messages come from nodes which are (as far as I
>am comcerned) totally off the wall.  If my mail was, in fact, not getting
>through, I would apreciate knowing.  I find it a pain to have to deal with
>messages informing me of an untruth.
>
>Can someone explain this, or are others having the same problem?

The reason for this (I believe) is that some people receive each
individual INFO-VAX message, which is routed *from* the INFO-VAX
distribution list after INFO-VAX successfully receives it from the
original sender.

I have to agree that it's annoying to hear that Sam Jones in Australia
has run out of disk quota, but there's nothing that can be done...It's
up to Sam Jones to get more quota or remove himself from the mailing
list.  (Apologies to any *real* Sam Jones' out there).

Does that answer the question?  I am sure I'll be corrected if it
doesn't...

| Mark H. Granoff                       Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation   | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd. M/S B015 |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730       | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7030         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------+
|The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                      those of my employer.                          |

u3369429@murdu.OZ (Michael Bednarek) (06/26/87)

In article <8706231138.AA23679@mitre-bedford.ARPA> mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) writes:

>>Can somebody explane to me why every, EVERY, **E V E R Y** message which I
>>send to INFO-VAX causes me to receive strange 'undeliverable mail' messages
>>from nodes I have never heard of.

I used to get these messages, too. Then I omitted the line "Reply-To: "
form the headers, and never got bothered again.

Michael Bednarek (u3369429@murdu.oz.au)

"POST NO BILLS"

>I have to agree that it's annoying to hear that Sam Jones in Australia
Why me? Why always me?
>       (Apologies to any *real* Sam Jones' out there).
What about apologies to *real* Australians?