[comp.os.vms] Is there a 'sed'-like editor for VMS?

dan@leadsv.UUCP (Dan Gold) (06/23/87)

Does anyone out there have or know of a program like UNIX 'sed' for VMS?
We need the 'sed' capability of specifying a series of operations to be
performed on a series of files.  I have checked out most of the standard
VMS utilities and none seem to offer this feature.  EDIT/SUM is about the
closest and it is poor.  Perhaps there is something already on the system
but I didn't see it.  Any clues?  If anyone has such a program in FORTRAN or
DCL, I would appreciate a copy.

Dan Gold
Lockheed Missiles & Space Company, Inc.
Sunnyvale, California

UUCP: ...!{atlas1, cae780, cfcl, endotsew, esl,
          excelan, hhb, hoptoad, krent, lll-lcc,
          mycroft, rtgvax, scampi, sunncal, tdms2}!leadsv!dan

INTERNET: ucdavis!lll-lcc!leadsv!dan@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

gregg@a.cs.okstate.EDU (06/23/87)

dan@leadsv.UUCP (Dan Gold):

> Does anyone out there have or know of a program like UNIX 'sed' for VMS?
> We need the 'sed' capability of specifying a series of operations to be
> performed on a series of files.  I have checked out most of the standard
> VMS utilities and none seem to offer this feature.  EDIT/SUM is about the
> closest and it is poor.  Perhaps there is something already on the system
> but I didn't see it.  Any clues?  If anyone has such a program in FORTRAN or
> DCL, I would appreciate a copy.

Probably the thing to do here is to use your favorite editor, like TPU since
it has the most powerful pattern recognition stuff, and write a command file
that recognizes SED commands.  After I get my VI implementation out, I plan
to take the RE code out of it and do just that.

-----
Gregg Wonderly
Department of Computing and Information Sciences
Oklahoma State University

UUCP:  {cbosgd, ihnp4, rutgers, seismo, uiucdcs}!okstate!gregg
ARPA:  gregg@A.CS.OKSTATE.EDU

bjs@scampi.UUCP (Brian J. Smithson) (06/27/87)

In article <8706251310.AA19744@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, gregg@a.cs.okstate.EDU writes:
> dan@leadsv.UUCP (Dan Gold):
> >
> > Does anyone out there have or know of a program like UNIX 'sed' for VMS?
> > We need the 'sed' capability of specifying a series of operations to be
> > performed on a series of files.  [...]
>
> Probably the thing to do here is to use your favorite editor, like TPU since
> it has the most powerful pattern recognition stuff, and write a command file
> that recognizes SED commands.  [...]

I used to use TECO as a sed-like editor (using the "MUNG" command to invoke
TECO).  It's cryptic (even more so than sed!) and using it for regular
expressions is a bit barbaric, but it works!

You also might consider shipping those files to a *real* computer :-) and
processing them with sed...

-Brian Smithson
 Scicon, Systems Control
 Palo Alto, CA

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (06/27/87)

  I know of people putting a set of EDT commands in a file and using

    EDIT/EDT/COMMAND=...

It seemed to work quite well. Unfortunately, EDT is pretty dumb, and won't
accept wildcard file soecs either.
  The latter, I can help with. I have written a command procedure called
'FORALL' which allows commands like

	FORALL filespec EDIT/edt/command...
or
	FORALL filespec whatever...

The nice thing is that it adds wildcard filespec capability to any command,
and since it uses DIRECTORY to do the lookup, allows all the whizzier
switches.

  If your want it, holler.
/kenw