[comp.os.vms] modems for use in Europe

kieffer@UNCAEDU.BITNET (06/17/87)

One of our faculty members will be moving to Europe for a while and
plans to take his micro to Europe. We already hashed out the potential
and real problems with the micro, but we are left wondering about
whether European modem frequency standards are different from the
those used in North America.
I would appreciate getting some comments about this from the European
use community.
 Rom Kieffer
 University of Calgary
 Calgary, Alberta
 Canada

lars@ACC.ARPA (06/27/87)

> Date:    Wed, 17 Jun 87 14:04:04 MDT
> From:     kieffer%UNCAEDU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
> Subject: modems for use in Europe
> To:       info-vax@sri-kl.arpa
>
>                                   ... we are left wondering about
> whether European modem frequency standards are different from the
> those used in North America. ...
>  Rom Kieffer >  University of Calgary >  Calgary, Alberta >  Canada

Yes, they are different and incompatible. Each European country is small
enough to need to be compatible with the outside world, so they have
all agreed to abide by CCITT standards. In the US, the standard seems to
be set by whoever is first to market.

I have been bitten by this myself a few years ago, when I went to
work in Europe for a month (or two or four) at a time, and occasionally
needed to call home for mail or software patches. None of the modems
I could find in Europe would talk to our U.S. dial-in ports.

Fortunately, the telephone standards are the same, so you should be
able to take a modem and plug it into the European telephone system
(after replacing the modular connector at the end of the cable with
whatever is used in the country you are visiting) and adding in a
220/110 stepdown transformer. To get the connector, buy an extension
cord, cut off the modular connector from the U.S. cord and splice them
together.

Note that this is probably illegal in most European countries, where
the PTTs have a monopoly on selling modems (thus enforcing the standards).

As an alternative, you may be able to take out a subscription to a PTT
sponsored X.25 network, and call home over a dial-in X.29 pad. This
is likely to be slightly cheaper than dialing a transatlantic call.

/ Lars Poulsen
  Advanced Computer Communications, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, USA
------