[comp.os.vms] line editing vs. tabs

gkn@LUAC.SDSC.EDU (06/28/87)

	From:	 KARNEY%PPC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
	Subject: Bug in line editing?
	Date:	 Fri, 26 Jun 87 12:07:56 PDT

	Line editing seems to get upset if there are TABs in the line.  E.g.,
	if you type to DCL
	    foo<TAB>bar<BS>barf
	nothing will happen when you type the last "barf".  This is with
	insert editing (else type CTRL/A) on VMS 4.5

Charles:

Please see page 8-3 of the VAX/VMS I/O User's Reference Manual: Part I,
which is in volume 10A.  There, in section 8.2.1.1 it states:

"Use of the terminal driver's editing functions result in serveral
restrictions.  These restrictions are:

	. The cursor cannot be moved to a previous line after a line wrap.
	. A character cannot be inserted if the insertion would force a line
	  wrap or a tab follows the current cursor position.
	. A word cannot be deleted at the beginning of a line after a line
	  wrap.
	. The line editing function cannot be assigned to other keys."

gkn
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC
Span:	SDSC::GKN (27.1)