[comp.os.vms] uucp for VAX/VMS

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET (06/25/87)

This query is posted to info-vax and info-unix, and copied to Russell Crook
(...!seismo!mnetor!spectrix!rmc).

In early May, Russell posted a request on info-vax for information about
uucp for VMS.  We now have an immediate interest in it for VMS, if it
exists.  Does it?

Here's the specific application.  A XENIX-based Tandy 6000 system, part of
our local PABX, will be generating long-distance call detail records which
must be transferred daily to our central VAXcluster, which will enter the
records into our financial system and generate bills.  A dedicated RS-232
link will be used for the transfer.  Our goal is to make the transfer
automated and error-free.

The Tandy has a uucp, which is why we're looking in that direction.
Alternate suggestions for transferring the data are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ed McGuire
Systems Coordinator
Grinnell College
MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (06/28/87)

  I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, Ed, but I've been told (and
will definitely investigate) that the Software Tools mailer STmail, which runs
under VMS and connects to VMSmail, uses SMTP, which is also used by uucp. It's
a step, anyway.

  Don't some script-based modem programs have the capability of dialing a
number until success, then sending? Seems to me that XTALK does, but I doubt it
runs under UNIX.

  I've been toying lately with the idea that it might be worthwhile to have a
newsgroup dedicated to "interconnectivity". That is, products and techniques
which allow various systems to communicate. There are a lot of tantalizing
jigsaw pieces. I'd really like to hear from anyone who knows about any method
of performing connections between unusual systems, or using methods more
unusual than garden-variety TCP/IP. Things like VMS-based NFS, or inter-OS mail
that doesn't need to go to heaven and back. I'm doing a kind of study, and
would be happy to publish high points here.
/kenw
                                                                 A L B E R T A
Ken Wallewein                                                  R E S E A R C H
                                                                 C O U N C I L

dave@rosesun.UUCP (06/30/87)

In article <236*kenw@noah.arc.cdn> kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) writes:
>  I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, Ed, but I've been told (and
>will definitely investigate) that the Software Tools mailer STmail, which runs
>under VMS and connects to VMSmail, uses SMTP, which is also used by uucp. It's
>a step, anyway.

SMTP is not used by UUCP.  UUCP uses its own protocols, which, although they are
proprietary to AT&T, have been documented by people outside AT&T.

	Dave
Dave Marquardt
dave@rosevax.Rosemount.COM