[comp.os.vms] bouncing mail and mailing lists

KVC@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM (Kevin Carosso) (06/30/87)

> I hesitate to disagree with someone who has contributed so much helpful
> information to INFO-VAX, but I do feel that Kevin Carosso's response
> to the question of error messages from mail repeaters is not fully
> justifiable.  In particular, if I send to (say) INFO-VAX@SRI-KL.ARPA,
> then I only want to know whether or not my mail has arrived there.  If
> INFO-VAX turns out to be a re-distribution list, then it is INFO-VAX (or
> perhaps INFO-VAX-????) that needs to be informed about problems further
> down the line, not me.  ** Phil.

Thinking about this some more brings me around to much the same opinion.

(I was in a particularly nasty mood that day, anyway.  I'd spent the
 last three weeks battling with esoterica of the VMS MAIL foreign protocol
 interface so PMDF works better).

The key here is that the list maintainer needs to be notified.  In the case
I'd mentioned where you'd want to be notified, you could consider yourself
the list maintainer or at least you know who the list maintainer is.  Anyway,
there needs to be something associated with the implementation of mailing
lists in the mail system that flags this.  Obviously I have no control over
the mailer at KL.SRI.COM, but I do have some say in what goes into future
versions of PMDF.  I'll talk this over with Ned and see what we can come
up with.  If there is such a flag on a mailing list, it'll be settable by
the Postmaster or list maintainer and probably not on by default.  Even
if I can't help INFO-VAX@KL.SRI.COM, it may help systems like mine which
reforward INFO-VAX to many others and sometimes bounce errors back ("sometimes"
was more like "always" until I attacked the MAIL foreign protocol interface
to PMDF and emerged, bloody but victorious).

How's that for an "about-face"?  :-)

Actually, this won't make the slightest bit of difference in the long run.
INFO-VAX ain't maintained by a PMDF system, so who cares?

        /Kevin Carosso                     kvc@engvax.scg.hac.com
         Hughes Aircraft Co.               kvc%engvax@oberon.usc.edu