[comp.os.vms] Ethernet LAT-Decserver-200 query : how is mnemonic/address info obtained?

MACALLSTR@vax1.physics.oxford.ac.UK (06/22/87)

Where does a LAT terminal server obtain its menmonic/address information for
 services on the Ethernet other than those situated locally on the terminal
 server? The Decserver-200 documentation appears only to have commands for
 defining local services.

When a user issues a  CONNECT <service> command, where does the T.S. software
 look for the <service> menomonic to Ethernet address translation?

A few possibilities spring to mind.

 (1) Information is down-line loaded from the load host node when the terminal
   server is initialised.

 (2) Each LAT host node sends the information out to all known terminal servers
   when that node reboots.

 (4) Information is sent out a regular intervals.

 (5) The CONNECT command sends a request to the load host and picks
   up the information from there. The terminal server would cease to
   function or have to be reloaded if the load host stopped for any
   reason.

 (6) If (5), does all terminal server traffic continue through the load
   host ( surely not ?! ) or as a normal Ethernet broadcast to the
   particular service?  The terminal server would cease to
   function or have to be reloaded if the load host stopped for any
   reason.

 (7) The terminal server monitors all Ethernet traffic and somehow picks up
  the addresses of live Ethernet nodes AND the node/service mnemonics. Doing
  this would be a significant overhead if EVERY packet has to be monitored.

  Perhaps there is some Ethernet LAT documentation which describes this?
  Enquiries to DEC Software Support suggest that (7) might be the answer.

  I don't yet have a terminal server to determine, empirically, what the
   mechanism might be. Does anyone have accurate information on this
   question?

John

LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA (06/23/87)

    Where does a LAT terminal server obtain its menmonic/address information
     for services on the Ethernet other than those situated locally on the
     terminal server?...

    A few possibilities spring to mind.

     (4) Information is sent out a regular intervals.

[I've left out the incorrect possibilities - the author listed 7!]

The model LAT uses is that various nodes "offer services" that a given LAT
terminal server will then allow connections to.  The way a node "offers a
service" is to send out multicasts at regular intervals - default is every 20
seconds; this is a settable parameter -  describing what services it has to
offer.  All terminal servers listen for these multicasts and update their
service/address tables when they something new.  (I don't think terminal
servers ever remove a service from their tables until someone tries to connect
to it and the attempt fails, but I might be wrong on this.)

The multicast is a "node configuration message"; it describe such things as
the node's Ethernet address, the services offered, the groups the node is a
member of, and the node's current load rating.
							-- Jerry
-------

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (06/30/87)

In article <8706231009.AA03055@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> <LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA> writes:
>The model LAT uses is that various nodes "offer services" that a given LAT
>terminal server will then allow connections to.  The way a node "offers a
>service" is to send out multicasts at regular intervals - default is every 20
>seconds; this is a settable parameter -  describing what services it has to
>offer.  All terminal servers listen for these multicasts and update their
>service/address tables when they something new.  (I don't think terminal
>servers ever remove a service from their tables until someone tries to connect
>to it and the attempt fails, but I might be wrong on this.)

This indeed seems true, although the latest default is 60 seconds.
In this it falls into the same DECNET philosophy as routing, i.e. put
out multicasts all of the time. This is killing to us because of our
interlinking Ethernets across communications subnets, rather than a
branching structure of repeaters and LAN Bridges, since then every
multicast has to be repeated for every Ethernet. If you then consider
all the vast numbers of DECNET hello timers (default 15 seconds, but we
have increased to 120 seconds), level 1 and 2 routers, LAT multicast,
LAN Bridge multicast, LAVC multicast etc. etc. etc., multiplied by the
number of nodes (we are around 200) and the number of interlinked
Ethernets you begin to see why a large % of our packets are multicast.

Personally, all that I want to know is what are the services and nodes
which might be available, not whether they were seen as up in the past
few seconds/minutes. I presume that if I then try to use them I should
rapidly find out if they are not currently available. Based on this
type of philosophy almost all of these multicasts would then not be
necessary (and for the greater pleasure note that sudden absence of
these multicast packets can generate even more multicast traffic as
all the routers try to catch up and inform everyone on the new situation).

I would be happy to hear from anyone else who also has met this problem
of excessive multicasts on a large DECNET.