[comp.os.vms] debugging dynamically loaded shareable images

forrest@blia.BLI.COM (Jon Forrest) (07/01/87)

In article <8706300437.AA02504@seismo.CSS.GOV>, SMART@ditmelb.OZ.AU (Robert Smart) writes:
> Does anybody know
> how to tell the debugger that a shareable image has suddenly
> arrived at a particular address? I would prefer it if the
> debugger would notice arriving shareable images itself, but
> perhaps that is asking too much.
>
> Robert Smart, CSIRO Division of Information Technology, Australia
> <smart@ditmela.oz.au>

The way I solved this problem was to have my shareable image
do a lib$signal(SS$_DEBUG) (see appendix D of the Debugger manual).
Doing so started up the debugger after my sharable image was mapped
so that all modules were accessable.

If having the debugger gain control everytime you run your
sharable image then you could use a logical name to determine
whether or not you should signal SS$_DEBUG.

Jon Forrest
ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!forrest
{pyramid|voder}!blia!forrest