[comp.os.vms] PHOTO-like program, DEFINE/KEY problems

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (06/27/87)

  A few years ago I wrote a program to allow multiple sessions (jobs) from the
same terminal under RSTS. It made use of DEC-supplied pseudo-keyboard drivers.
It was essentially a split PHOTO with enhancements. Does anyone know of such
a program for VMS?

  I posted a request for information on using DEFINE/KEY with existing
command-driven software about a week or so ago. All my responses talked about
the fact that I accidentally sent it twice (and I suspect that a number of
other people are doing that, too!). I received NO replies to the actual
subject matter, so I'll try again: Is it possible? It sure would be nice to
be able to use the keypad to define standard keyboard entries. The above-
mentioned PHOTO-like program provided that capability (among other things),
and I miss it.

Thanks,
/kenw
                                                                 A L B E R T A
Ken Wallewein                                                  R E S E A R C H
                                                                 C O U N C I L

dp@JASPER.PALLADIAN.COM (Jeffrey Del Papa) (06/27/87)

    Date: 26 Jun 87  2:29 -0800
    From: Ken Wallewein <kenw%noah.arc.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>

[...]

I wrote one for version 2.0 of VMS. I don't think I could find the source if I tried
(and since it is mostly in bliss couldn't compile it if I did..). It didn't take that
long, but beware... there are obscure terminal synchronization problems out there
waiting to consume your sleep time.. It is also almost impossible to cope with
switching between things that want the terminal set different ways (our case it was
goslings emacs and the rest of VMS. It wanted 8 bit, meta key enabled and no flow
control (on an ambassador terminal). you can imagine what the rest of VMS thought.)
the other problem came from differing terminal flow control speeds. It worked fine on
my arbo, but when rbrn used his vt-100, it would latch ups sometimes... I eventually
had to pause the output stream so the XOFF wouldnt get sent to the wrong PTY.

<dp>

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (06/29/87)

>...multiple sessions (jobs) from the
>same terminal...
>...Does anyone know of such a program for VMS?

If you have termianl servers, you can, while in Local mode (of the
server), issue a SET PORT LOCAL c where c is some character that will
regain the server's attention and return you to the Local mode, while
suspending your session.  In Local mode you can then issue the command
FORWARD to resume the next active session in your list of sessions.

You can also SET PORT FORWARD c which will expedite the above process.

If you don't have terminal servers, then, well......I'll have to think
about it...

Hope this is helpful...

| Mark H. Granoff                       Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation   | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd. M/S B015 |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730       | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7030         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------+
|The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                      those of my employer.                          |

LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA (07/02/87)

    I posted a request for information on using DEFINE/KEY with existing
    command-driven software about a week or so ago. All my responses talked
    about the fact that I accidentally sent it twice (and I suspect that a
    number of other people are doing that, too!).  I received NO replies to
    the actual  subject matter, so I'll try again: Is it possible? It sure
    would be nice to  be able to use the keypad to define standard keyboard
    entries....

(Perhaps no one answered because they didn't want to say RTFM? :-) )

It's entirely up to the particular command-driven software.  The definitions
made at DCL level are available only to DCL, but any program can use the SMG
facilities to define any keypad keys it likes.  Read the section on "input
Through Virtual Keyboards" in the "Screen Management Guidelines" section of
the RTL reference manual.
							-- Jerry
-------