[comp.os.vms] Decus 1987 Vax-214

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (07/01/87)

 The title for the Vax-214 is News. Does anybody know any more abouot
 it than what it says? Is it Usenet news? Compatible?

 thanks
 mark
--
    edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards

ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (07/01/87)

In article <1679@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:

> The title for the Vax-214 is News. Does anybody know any more abouot
> it than what it says? Is it Usenet news? Compatible?
>
> thanks
> mark
>--
>    edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu
>    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards
>    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

Mark,

In the new DECUS Library Catalog VAX-214 NEWS is listed as follows
(I have shortened it somewhat)

VAX-214 NEWS, Version: October 1986

Submitted by: Geoff Huston, Australian National University, Canberra City,
              A.C.T. 2601

Operating System: VAX/VMS V4.3 Source Language: C Memory Required: Virtual

Abstract:  NEWS is a software product which manages user, system and
network news items...

NEWS items are divided inot NEWSGROUPS.  All items with a similar subject
matter are normally contained in a single newsgroup, and the same item
may appear in a number of newsgroups....You can also reply to an iterm by
posting a follow-up news item ... via VMS MAIL.

NEWS also has facilities to support a DECNET connected set of news sites...

----

It looks to me like it doesn't have a connection to USENET type news feeds
but that once you got the text files you could get them into the system.
I would try contacting Geoff.

-----
Clyde T. Poole, Technical Coordinator, Facilities and Equipment (in real life)
 DECUS U. S. Chapter, Large Systems SIG, Newsletter Editor (in my spare time)
ARPA/CSnet: ctp@sally.utexas.edu               VOICE: (512) 471-9551
UUCP:       {harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!ctp  CIS: 75226,3135
Overland: UT at Austin, Department of Computer Sciences
          Taylor Hall 2.124, Austin, TX  78712-1188
"Life is a bitch ... and then you die"

Peck@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA (Rodney) (07/04/87)

  I'm new to this vax stuff.  What is decus and does News cost money and
does it work with VMS?
  Where can I find some PD software for the VAX/VMS??
  rodney