From:    Bruce Hedley <hedley@wnre.aecl.cdn>
To:      <mcvax!philmds!philtis!hd@seismo.css.gov> [confirm]
Subject: VMS Lint

	I evaluated FORTRAN-lint from IPT Corp. for our Computer
Centre staff about six weeks ago, on a FORTRAN code of approximately
150 000 lines. The lint program was relatively straightforward to use,
and the output, although voluminous (we had most of the output switches
turned on), was fairly easy to follow. I should add that this was, I
believe, v.2.03 of FORTRAN-lint.

	Several problems were noted:

1 - An inability to treat labelled COMMON as a vector when a COMMON
    item was passed to a subroutine as an argument (usually for
    presetting or copying a region of memory)

2 - An error resolving a system service reference (SYS$QIOW), although
    other sys-services are used in the code

3 - lint had problems with intrinsic/generic function references within
    parentheses (also in 'balancing' the parentheses)

4 - lint had problems handling nested functions, i.e. LOG10(SQRT(MAX(A1,A2)))

5 - lint had problems with scalars in the middle of complicated statements,
    it would flag them as an illegal variable name

	Several GOOD things happened as well:

1 - lint noted some COMMON conflicts that we didn't know about

2 - lint noted a couple of instances of subroutine calls and dummy argument
    lists not matching in number and type

3 - lint highlighted many, many cases of variables referenced but not
    defined

4 - lint flagged unused variables, formats, dead code, etc.

	I have talked to IPT's national sales manager, John Dee, telephone
(415)-494-7500, several times in the past few weeks. They are now up to,
I believe, release 2.10 of FORTRAN-lint. They have resolved all the
difficulties I had, except for items 1 & 2. I have sent them the actual code
and lint output which shows the problem, as they frankly didn't believe me.
Certainly I have to say that they are pretty responsive and want to please
the customer.

	FORTRAN-lint costs in the neighbourhood of US $4500 (until July 31st
I think). For anyone interested in getting more info on FORTRAN-lint (C-lint,
etc.,etc.), contact:

	John Dee
	Information Processing Techniques Corporation
	1096 E Meadow Circle
	Palo Alto, California,
	U.S. of A. 94303

(No, this isn't an ad for IPT, I just think it's a useful tool.....)
Bruce Hedley					|    Erwin Schrodinger on
Thermalhydraulics Branch			|     quantum mechanics:
Atomic Energy of CANADA Limited			|
Whiteshell Nuclear Research Establishment	| "I don't like it, and I'm
Pinawa, Manitoba, CANADA R0E  1L0		| sorry I ever had anything
(204)-753-2311 X 2700				| to do with it!"
<hedley@wnre.aecl.cdn>				|