[comp.os.vms] long cable and LP27 printer?

CP.PAVER@MCC.COM.UUCP (07/07/87)

We've got an LP27 line printer that we'd like to place outside the
machine room.  This involves a distance of about 100 ft.  We started
to order the "long line" interface and cable from DEC until we found
out that it  takes a long time (60-90 days) to get some of the
components and that it's expensive ($2-3K).

Does anyone know of alternatives?  We're currently using the parallel
port on the DMB-32 and have the printer in the machine room.

Thanks.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Bob Paver	(512) 338-3316
Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp. (MCC)
3500 West Balcones Center Drive
Austin, TX  78759

ARPA:  paver@mcc.com
UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!paver
-------

jeff@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Jeffrey Burgan) (07/08/87)

In article <12316466007.58.CP.PAVER@MCC.COM> CP.PAVER@MCC.COM (Bob Paver) writes:
>We've got an LP27 line printer that we'd like to place outside the
>machine room.  This involves a distance of about 100 ft.  We started
>Does anyone know of alternatives?  We're currently using the parallel
>port on the DMB-32 and have the printer in the machine room.

We had a similar problem here. What I did was to disregard the 50 ft
limit on the cable. We bought a cable with the appropriate ends and
ran it through a conduit across a hallway. 100 feet, well....
We accomplised about 80 ft. You can push it just so far. The LP27 is attached
to a DMF-32. The people we got the cable from are no longer in business
but I believe Black Box will make it for you. Hope this helps.

Jeff