[comp.os.vms] VAXCluster Console System

nagy%warner.hepnet@LBL.ARPA (07/09/87)

From:	WARNER::NAGY         "Frank J. Nagy/VAX Guru"  9-JUL-1987 12:40
To:	NAGY,NAGY
Subj:	VCS REPLY

In article <8707080257.AA16630@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> WARNOCK@prism.clemson.EDU
(Todd Warnock) writes:
>If the uVAX that manages the console system can also run other things ?
>
>If the uVAX can act as the console for non-clustered machines ?

The new release of the VCS software, V1.1, explicits allows for the system
running the VCS to do other things (i.e., Digital got around to checking
it out and found it works as expected).  Also, V1.1 supports the use of
a VAXStation-II (maybe only the /GPX) as a VCS system.

We have a VCS system whose inputs come from both an LAVC (of MicroVAXes)
and several standalone MicroVAX systems.  Sure cuts down on floor space
for all those terminals...  Plus the VCS software allows one to do cute
things like execute the same command on a set of VAXes by typing only
a single command into the VCS or, our hardware person can watch the
repair people running diagnostics by logging into our VCS system over
the network and viewing the system the diagnostics are running on.

= Frank J. Nagy
= Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
= HEPNET: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/220 Batavia, IL 60510