[comp.os.vms] halve BACKUP times easily

kai@uicsrd.UUCP (07/07/87)

There was a item in this months DEC Professional Magazine that should be of
interest to VMS system managers and operators.

Using the following VMS/BACKUP switches can HALVE your cpu and elapsed time.
I tried this on a one of my VAX 750's Massbus disks (approx. 65 Mb) to a CDC
92185 tape drive at 6250 bpi, and cut the full disk backup elapsed time from
35 minutes to 17 minutes (on an unloaded system) and cputime used from 10
minutes to 5 minutes.

	BACKUP/IMAGE/NOCRC/BUFFERS:5/BLOCKSIZE:16384  dra2:  msa0:dra2.bck

The idea behind this is that BACKUP was written a long time ago, when 6250
bpi tape drives were non-existent or very expensive. 1600 bpi tape drives do
not have the hardware built in for performing CRC checking of the data,
however 6250 bpi tape drives DO. So why have your VAX waste it's time doing
double CRC checking?

The /BUFFERS and /BLOCKSIZE switches help, and should probably be used even
if you don't want to trust the /NOCRC switch.

I compared this to our Raxco Rabbit-5 fast backup program (which I normally
use), and Rabbit-5 took 15 minutes to backup the same disk. Hardly worth the
$4000 price tag just to have a barely functional tape library manager (and
vaporware file locator).

Patrick Wolfe               internet:  pwolfe@kai.com
Kuck & Associates, Inc.     uucp:      {seismo,ihnp4,uiucuxc}!kailand!pwolfe
1808 Woodfield Dr.          bitnet:    pwolfe%kailand@uiucuxc
Savoy, IL  61874            csnet:     pwolfe%kailand%uxc@uiuc.csnet

herzlich@NGP.UTEXAS.EDU (Larry Herzlich) (07/10/87)

Since I've seen this recommendation multiple times, I think
it's time to respond.  I'm paranoid about backups.

>From: kai@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU
>      Patrick Wolfe @ Kuck & Associates, Inc.
>Subject: halve BACKUP times easily
>Date: 7 Jul 87 01:16:00 GMT
>
>Using the following VMS/BACKUP switches can HALVE your cpu and elapsed time.
>	BACKUP/IMAGE/NOCRC/BUFFERS:5/BLOCKSIZE:16384  dra2:  msa0:dra2.bck
>..... So why have your VAX waste it's time doing double CRC checking?
>
>The /BUFFERS and /BLOCKSIZE switches help, and should probably be used even
>if you don't want to trust the /NOCRC switch.

At the Nashville DECUS, one of the VMS File System devolpers was very
adament about not turning off ECC in the BACKUP command line.  He did
point out that it depends on how paranoid you are about whether the
information got to the tape. There are a lot of places for the data to
get corrupted by the time it gets to the tape.  In a sense, the
hardware ECC is only checking whether the information in the tape
drive memory is sent out correctly.  The BACKUP Utility is your only
guarantee that the information got to the tape.

In addition, a VERIFY pass is important due to the way the information
gets recorded.  Particles on the tape get charged and remain at a
potential for a short time as the head passes over the media.  As the
backup continues, the tape charge potential drops down to the normal
level.  The VERIFY pass is checks to see that the information is
readable.

In an earlier Info-VAX message, Joel Schneider of the University of
Arizona recommended using this:
	>BACKUP/BUF=65534/BLOCK=5 with CRC

You can actually pull the tape off the reel with large buffers.  The
VMS developer recommends buffers of 32K or less and the default count
of 3.  The reason is the way VMS sends out pending buffers.  When the
physical EOT is reached, BACKUP continues to write the outstanding
QIO's.  With 65K buffers, you can end up writing a lot of information
past the EOT.

Larry Herzlich				herzlich@ngp.cc.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin		cccs001@utadnx  -- Bitnet
Computation Center