[comp.os.vms] Running images at priority 1

13501ADC@MSU.BITNET ("Alan D. Cabrera") (07/09/87)

I've been submitting CPU intensive batch jobs on our VAX 8650 with the
priority set at 1.  It uses some pretty big arrays so it tends to page
ALOT.  When I run my job people say that they notice a degredation to
the system.  I say that my job shouldn't pose a problem because it's
priority is lower than theirs.

Am I wrong in assumming that since my job's priority is set at 1, it
shouldn't interfere with anybody with a higher priority?

Alan D. Cabrera                BITNET: 13501ADC@MSU
Computer Laboratory
400D Computer Center
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824

oberman@LLL-ICDC.ARPA ("Oberman, Kevin") (07/10/87)

>I've been submitting CPU intensive batch jobs on our VAX 8650 with the priority
>set at 1. It uses some pretty big arrays so it tends to page ALOT. When I run
>my job people say that they notice a degredation to the system. I say that my
>job shouldn't pose a problem because it's priority is lower than theirs.

>Am I wrong in assumming that since my job's priority is set at 1, it shouldn't
>interfere with anybody with a higher priority?

This seems to pop up fairly regularly. Yes, you are wrong. I once looked at all
of the gory details, but even a low priority process competes with higher
priority processes for many resources besides CPU cycles. The process priority
has no effect on these.

In your case I suspect that you are using a fair amount of virtual address
space which, in turn, requires lots of paging and, probably, a big chunk of
physical memory for the working set.

Because memory management is handled by the system kernal, outside of the
normal process context, the fact that the process is running at a low priority
makes no difference. A low priority job may not get many CPU strokes for
the user-mode code, but if it gets enough to cause paging, it can start
impacting the system in a very noticable way.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					arpa: oberman@lll-icdc.arpa
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Neither my employer nor myself can take resposibility for the
accuracy of this information. I believe it is correct, but if it's not I can
only say "Sorry". I'm a rotten typist and a worse speller, so forgive any silly
errors.
------

helen@uhccux.UUCP (Helen Rapozo) (07/15/87)

In article <8707110202.AA28088@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 13501ADC@MSU.BITNET ("Alan D. Cabrera") writes:

> I've been submitting CPU intensive batch jobs on our VAX 8650 with the
> priority set at 1.  It uses some pretty big arrays so it tends to page
> ALOT.  When I run my job people say that they notice a degredation to
> the system.  I say that my job shouldn't pose a problem because it's
> priority is lower than theirs.
>
> Am I wrong in assumming that since my job's priority is set at 1, it
> shouldn't interfere with anybody with a higher priority?

The only reason why a job running at priority 1 is executing is because
the other process on the system that have priority 2 to 31 is not
using the CPU in the first place.  If you think about
the NULL process runs at priority 0 so if the system is not doing
anything else it will execute that process which happens to be
an infinite loop.  If this job that runs at priority 1 is doing
useful work then the system is doing more useful work.

Seriously tho, since the job pages a lot that could explain the
degredation in response time.  You could do the following things:

a) Run the job at priority 0.  What will happen is that whatever
CPU cycles that are left will be split between NULL and your
process.

b) Somehow get a bigger working size for your job, the less paging
you do the faster things will go.

c) If you are the system manager there is a parameter that
deals with the timeslice, if you decrease the timeslice the effect
to the users will be one of faster response time.

Let me know how this turns out.