[comp.os.vms] File cache hit rates

KIERSTEI@UMKCVAX1.BITNET (07/21/87)

    I've been watching my file system caches lately, and have noticed that the
    hit rate on all of them was quite low.  So, I increased the sizes of the
    caches and things worked well for the directory index (ACP_DINDXCACHE),
    file extent (ACP_EXTCACHE), file ID (ACP_FIDCACHE), file header
    (ACP_HDRCACHE), and bitmap (ACP_MAPCACHE) caches.

    The hit rates on the directory FCB (ACP_SYSACC), and the directory data
    (ACP_DIRCACHE) caches were still low, so I increased the sizes on those
    again.

    When I did this, the hit rate went *down*;  I mean _through the floor_.
    So, I've shrunken the caches back a bit, and I'm back to where I was
    before.

    Am I misunderstanding something here?  In general, the larger a cache
    is the better the chances that you'll find something in it.  This doesn't
    seem to be the case with at least some of the XQP caches.

I had the same problem when I raised the header cache.  At the time, I
remembered a note on Info-vax that mentioned something about some cache they
were working with was actually set to a lower default value after they raised
it due to not enough pool space to accomodate the increase.  I then did the
parameter change in autogen, which promptly raised my paged pool.  The
parameter change then increased the hit rate, rather than lowering it.  One
note:  If your paged pool increases in size, increase sysmwcnt to keep the
system paging at the previous level.

If anyone has a more detailed explanation, let us know.

                                  Barry Kierstein
                                  Kierstei@Umkcvax1.Bitnet

gkn@SDS.SDSC.EDU (07/22/87)

	From:	 <KIERSTEI%UMKCVAX1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
	Subject: File cache hit rates (2nd try)
	Date:	 Tue, 21 Jul 87 14:15 CDT

[...]

I used AUTOGEN, but it did not see fit to increase the amount of paged
pool that I had, so I told it to.  My file system caches have started
working.

Swimming in pool,

gkn
--------------------------------------
Arpa:	GKN@SDS.SDSC.EDU
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC
Span:	SDSC::GKN (27.1)
USPS:	Gerard K. Newman
	San Diego Supercomputer Center
	P.O. Box 85608
	San Diego, CA 92138
AT&T:	619.534.5076

Thx-1138@KL.SRI.COM:WILLIAMS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (Williams@Edwards-2060) (07/23/87)

Just a little tidbit for the XQP cache hackers among us:

	When you increase the cache sizes, Autogen is wizzy enough  to
increase the LOCKIDTBL and RESHASHTBL (if they need it).  However,  it
doesn't seem  to increase  SRPCOUNT based  on the  size of  those  two
tables, which is  what will get  eaten by the  greater number of  lock
blocks that  will be  consumed (since  the XQP  is "remembering"  file
activity for longer periods).  The RSBs will eat both the SRPLIST  and
the IRPLIST, it seems.

	So, if  you had  your nonpaged  pool closely  trimmed,  you'll
probably have to  go through  another iteration  to size  it (or  take
lookaside list expansion taps).

Now a question:

	In  a  sort   of  related   area,  I've   noticed  that   SHOW
PROCESS/CHANNELS in ANALYZE/SYSTEM  on my  8650 doesn't  give out  the
filenames--just the file ids.  This is apparently due to the fact that
all of our disks are hanging off an HSC-50 (a different node?),  since
our 11/785s with MASSBUS disks report the filenames just dandily.

	Is there  something I  can  do to  repair  this sad  state  of
affairs?  Failing that, does anybody have any FID-to-Filename  ditties
they'd be willing  to distribute?   (SDA uses a  Bliss routine  called
LIB$FID_TO_NAME out of some DEC-developer-only library, which  doesn't
seem to live on "normal" VMS systems.)

	Otherwise, I guess it's hi-ho, hi-ho, off to the ACP I go!

					Cheers,
					    Marc
					    (Williams@Edwards-2060.ARPA)
-------