[comp.os.vms] reusing old dec-10 rp06 drives on vax

geirp@IFI.UIO.NO (Geir Pedersen) (07/23/87)

Hello,

I'm trying to bring up an old DEC-10 RP06 on a 780. Neither the Unix
format program or digitals equivalent are able to format the drive
for me. format complains about read errors for every sector it tries.
I suppose this may have something to do with the difference between
32 and 36.

Do i have to do a low level (factory) reformating of the disk? If so how
do i do such a thing?

(In case I'm on the wrong track some more hard facts: The heads are moving,
there is a difference in the errormessages when i writeprotect the drive.)

Geir Pedersen

aad+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Anthony A. Datri) (07/23/87)

I think that you're right as far as 32 != 36.  Perhaps your diagnostics can
do the low-level format -- I can't say for sure.

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (07/24/87)

In article <gV1b0Sy00WABy4c5gH@andrew.cmu.edu> aad+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>I think that you're right as far as 32 != 36.  Perhaps your diagnostics can
>do the low-level format -- I can't say for sure.

This whole topic came up before, rather recently.  I believe there is some
jumper that needs to be set in the drive to put it in 32-bit mode; then
you can run your diagnostic formatter.

--Pat.