[comp.os.vms] SYS$ANNOUNCE Logical Name Bug Or Feature

zar@XHMEIA.Caltech.EDU (Daniel M. Zirin) (07/21/87)

I found out today that while you can make the logical name SYS$ANNOUNCE
point to a string as big as 255 characters, once that string exceeds
128 characters, the LOGINOUT system no longer uses it (you end up with
no announcement prior to username: prompt). This is STUPID! I'm generating
a rather long SYS$ANNOUNCE string with embedded <CR>s and <LF>s to give
some useful info at login and DEC contradicts itself. Geez.

						From The Great
						     Zar

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (07/22/87)

>I found out today that while you can make the logical name SYS$ANNOUNCE
>point to a string as big as 255 characters, once that string exceeds
>128 characters, the LOGINOUT system no longer uses it (you end up with
>no announcement prior to username: prompt). This is STUPID! I'm generating
>a rather long SYS$ANNOUNCE string with embedded <CR>s and <LF>s to give
>some useful info at login and DEC contradicts itself. Geez.

That's why there's such a thing as 'SYS$MANAGER:WELCOME.TXT' or
whatever you might call it.  After a person logs in, and is executing
(not by choice) SYLOGIN.COM, there can be a TYPE command to display a
text file with 'useful info at login.'

| Mark H. Granoff                       Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation   | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd. M/S B015 |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730       | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7030         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------+
|The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                      those of my employer.                          |
|  Unix commands are based on the principle of intuitive complexity.  |

BEB@UNO.BITNET (07/23/87)

<Mailers are mudders. This line is mudder fodder, brudder.>

>                                                            I'm generating
>a rather long SYS$ANNOUNCE string with embedded <CR>s and <LF>s to give
>some useful info at login and DEC contradicts itself. Geez.

You can also make SYS$ANNOUNCE point to a file to be typed to the terminal
by defining SYS$ANNOUNCE as "@filespec". This is a big win for us, since we
have four or five lines of "Welcome to so-n-so, the operator is awake, etc"
plus an indetermine number of flashworthy news items, that are added and
deleted "frequently"(several times/week). I hope this is accurate, somebody
updated my doc set by throwing out all the old pages and putting just the
updated pages in the binders. <twitch>
                                            Bruce

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>Handle:   Bruce Bettis        <>USnail:   University of New Orleans <>
<>                              <>          Computer Research Center  <>
<>BITnet:   <BEB@UNO.BITNET>    <>          New Orleans, La. 70148    <>
<>                              <>                                    <>
<>Voices:   (504) 286-7067      <>   (Assume appropriate disclaimer)  <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (07/23/87)

 > I found out today that while you can make the logical name SYS$ANNOUNCE
 > point to a string as big as 255 characters, once that string exceeds
 > 128 characters, the LOGINOUT system no longer uses it (you end up with
 > no announcement prior to username: prompt). This is STUPID! I'm generating
 > a rather long SYS$ANNOUNCE string with embedded <CR>s and <LF>s to give
 > some useful info at login and DEC contradicts itself. Geez.

This may be a holdover from the days when equivalence names were limited
to 64 characters (remember, logical names were originally intended only
to point to files).  However, all is not lost.  Why don't you put the
SYS$ANNOUNCE text in a file (say, SYS$MANAGER:ANNOUNCE.TXT), then issue
the command:
	$ DEFINE/SYSTEM/EXECUTIVE_MODE SYS$ANNOUNCE "@SYS$MANAGER:ANNOUNCE.TXT"
The same strategy works for SYS$WELCOME.

BOB%HOWARD%CENTER@UTAHCCA.BITNET (07/23/87)

To The Great Zar (sic)

VAX/VMS System Manager's Reference Manual (V4.4)

Section 2.3.11.1  SYS$ANNOUNCE

SYS$ANNOUNCE defines text to be printed whenever a user begins to log in; that
is, the text is printed immediately after a successful dial-in, CTRL/Y, or
RETURN is received. The text may consist of up to 63 characters. For longer
messages, you can precede the name of a text-containing file with an at sign (@)
so that the login command procedure prints the entire file as an announcement.

For example, you could include a command of the following form in your
SYSTARTUP.COM file:

$ DEFINE/SYSTEM SYS$ANNOUNCE "ENTER IF YOU DARE"

Or you might prefer to print a file:

$ DEFINE/SYSTEM SYS$ANNOUNCE "@SYS$MANAGER:ANNOUNCE.TXT"

If you do not define SYS$ANNOUNCE, no announcement is printed.

We have a rule in my shop : If I find it in my manual it costs you $10.00, if I
I find it in your manual it's $50.00. Not only are you terrible conceded you
also appear to very stupid (hopefully just naive). Those of us who have been
running VMS systems for a while usually try to consult the documentation before
yelling "SYS$ANNOUNCE logical name bug" or running to the net showing our
stupidity. Then when we do find a legitimate problem unless it has a great
impact on other systems we simply and quietly fill out an SPR instead of trying
to show everyone how cute and clever we are.

QUIT USING THE NETWORK AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR READING THE DOCUMENTATION SET.

I typically don't uncover mail bugs while sending mail to myself, nor do I want
to see the time of day in 47 thousand different languages. If you have so much
time on you hands. Try the orange binders!

"The Great Zar" is an oxymoron.

	Bob Wheeler
	Howard Hughes Medical Institute

christosz@ppc.ubc.CDN ("Christos C. Z.") (07/24/87)

Daniel Zirin writes:

>I found out today that while you can make the logical name SYS$ANNOUNCE
>point to a string as big as 255 characters, once that string exceeds
>128 characters, the LOGINOUT system no longer uses it (you end up with
>no announcement prior to username: prompt). This is STUPID! I'm generating
>a rather long SYS$ANNOUNCE string with embedded <CR>s and <LF>s to give
>some useful info at login and DEC contradicts itself. Geez.

Instead of reassigning the SYS$ANNOUNCE logical name to a string you
could assign it to look to a file so the whole file is printed
every time prior to USERNAME: .
I think the proper command would be:

$define/system sys$announce "sys$manager:@my_message.txt"

where my_message.txt file contains all the thing you want and it can be
as long as wish .

                                   Regards, Christos

                                  Pulp and Paper  Centre
                                  U. of British Columbia
                                  Vancouver, BC, V6T-1W5
ChristosZ@ppc.ubc.CDN
...!ubc-vision!ppc.ubc.cdn!christosz
ChristosZ%ppc.ubc.cdn@csnet-relay.ARPA
Christos%UBC.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA

DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET (Denis W. Haskin, Manager, Technical Services) (07/24/87)

> From:         "Mark H. Granoff" <mhg@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
> Comments: To: "Daniel M. Zirin" <zar@XHMEIA.Caltech.Edu>
>               21 Jul 87 11:04:11 -0700. <870721110411.016@XHMEIA.Caltech.Edu>
>
> >I found out today that while you can make the logical name SYS$ANNOUNCE
> >point to a string as big as 255 characters, once that string exceeds
> >128 characters, the LOGINOUT system no longer uses it (you end up with
> >no announcement prior to username: prompt). This is STUPID! I'm generating
> >a rather long SYS$ANNOUNCE string with embedded <CR>s and <LF>s to give
> >some useful info at login and DEC contradicts itself. Geez.
>
> That's why there's such a thing as 'SYS$MANAGER:WELCOME.TXT' or
> whatever you might call it.  After a person logs in, and is executing
> (not by choice) SYLOGIN.COM, there can be a TYPE command to display a
> text file with 'useful info at login.'

Close; you don't need to have the SYSLOGIN.COM do a TYPE; establish
SYS$ANNOUNCE as a system logical name that translates to @<filename>, and
the contents of <filename> will be displayed before the user logs in.  For
example, here SYS$ANNOUNCE is

   "SYS$ANNOUNCE" = "@SYS$MANAGER:ANNOUNCE.TXT" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

and SYS$MANAGER:ANNOUNCE.TXT is

                  Welcome to node Kukla at Clark University
                     a VAX 11/750 running VMS version 4.5

(remember that if you're on a cluster the ANNOUNCE.TXT files should be in
SYS$SPECIFIC:[SYSMGR], not SYS$COMMON).

Similarly, SYS$WELCOME may be used for the message-of-the-day text.

Have fun...

% Denis W. Haskin                             Manager, Technical Services %
% ----------------------------------------------------------------------- %
% DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET   Office of Information Systems     (617)793-7193 %
% Clark University               950 Main Street      Worcester MA  01610 %
%                                                                         %
%                       "Revenge is best served cold."                    %
%                                -- Anonymous                             %

helen@uhccux.UUCP (Helen Rapozo) (07/24/87)

In article <870721110411.016@XHMEIA.Caltech.Edu>, zar@XHMEIA.Caltech.EDU (Daniel M. Zirin) writes:
> I found out today that while you can make the logical name SYS$ANNOUNCE
> point to a string as big as 255 characters, once that string exceeds
> 128 characters, the LOGINOUT system no longer uses it (you end up with
> no announcement prior to username: prompt). This is STUPID! I'm generating
> a rather long SYS$ANNOUNCE string with embedded <CR>s and <LF>s to give
> some useful info at login and DEC contradicts itself. Geez.

I know that there is a way to have SYS$ANNOUNCE to point to a filename
and that will allow you to have a much bigger announcement before the
USERNAME prompt

jdh@bsu-cs.UUCP (John Hiday) (07/25/87)

In article <703@uhccux.UUCP> helen@uhccux.UUCP (Helen Rapozo) writes:
>I know that there is a way to have SYS$ANNOUNCE to point to a filename
>and that will allow you to have a much bigger announcement before the
>USERNAME prompt

Yes, but it is not a normal logical name. (ala SYS$SYLOGIN, etc.)  You must
precede the filename in the logical with an @ sign.  For example to make
the announcement message come from SYS$MANAGER:ANNOUNCE.TXT, SYS$ANNOUNCE
would have to be "@SYS$MANAGER:ANNOUNCE.TXT".
--
== John Hiday                  UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jdh
== Ball State University / University Computing Services        GEnie: JDHIDAY

payne@watdcsu.UUCP (07/25/87)

In article <8707221212.AA17899@mitre-bedford.ARPA> mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) writes:

>>I found out today that while you can make the logical name SYS$ANNOUNCE
>>point to a string as big as 255 characters, once that string exceeds
>>128 characters, the LOGINOUT system no longer uses it (you end up with
>>no announcement prior to username: prompt). This is STUPID! I'm generating
>>a rather long SYS$ANNOUNCE string with embedded <CR>s and <LF>s to give
>>some useful info at login and DEC contradicts itself. Geez.
>
>That's why there's such a thing as 'SYS$MANAGER:WELCOME.TXT' or
>whatever you might call it.  After a person logs in, and is executing
>(not by choice) SYLOGIN.COM, there can be a TYPE command to display a
>text file with 'useful info at login.'

An even better way is to define SYS$ANNOUNCE (and SYS$WELCOME) to point to a
text file:

$	DEFINE /SYSTEM /EXEC SYS$ANNOUNCE "@SYS$MANAGER:ANNOUNCE.TXT"
$	DEFINE /SYSTEM /EXEC SYS$WELCOME  "@SYS$MANAGER:WELCOME.TXT"

This gives the advantage of being able to make these files however long you
want, and of being able to change them on the fly (i.e. to announce down
time, etc.). Just make sure that they are WORLD readable.

Doug