[comp.os.vms] Reading RT-11 tapes on VMS with EXCHANGE

FSIMMONS@UMNDUL.BITNET (07/23/87)

 I have been trying unsucessfully to read my 3 DECUS RT-11 tapes on our
VMS system with the EXCHANGE utility.  1) Is this supposed to work?
2) Does anyone have a proc file to do this and would he/she send it
to me?

Thanks

Frank Simmons
UMD Computing Services
Univ of Minn,Duluth
10 University Drive
Duluth MN 55812
ATT    : (218) 726-8849
BITNET : FSIMMONS@UMNDUL
CSNET  : FSIMMONS@UB.D.UMN.EDU
SYSTEM : VAX/VMS 4.5  JNET 3.0

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (07/25/87)

In article <8707231556.AA25705@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, FSIMMONS@UMNDUL.BITNET writes:

>  I have been trying unsucessfully to read my 3 DECUS RT-11 tapes on our
> VMS system with the EXCHANGE utility.  1) Is this supposed to work?
> 2) Does anyone have a proc file to do this and would he/she send it
> to me?
>
> Thanks
>

> Frank Simmons
> UMD Computing Services
> Univ of Minn,Duluth
> 10 University Drive
> Duluth MN 55812
> ATT    : (218) 726-8849
> BITNET : FSIMMONS@UMNDUL
> CSNET  : FSIMMONS@UB.D.UMN.EDU
> SYSTEM : VAX/VMS 4.5  JNET 3.0

How you tried using PIP under the RSX-11 mode ? I used to read RT-11
diskettes on a 780 using PIP. Don't know if it will read RT-11 tapes
though. Also, doesn't RT-11 writes an ANSI format tape?

... Peter/

Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, I'm only a physicist.
            Don't quote me on anything! I speak only for myself.

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (07/27/87)

EXCHANGE should read RT-11 format tapes just fine.  Try something like:

EXCHANGE> MOUNT/VOLUME_FORMAT=RT11 MSA0:
EXCHANGE> COPY MSA0:*.* DRA0:

(Substitute whatever device names you have on your particular system, of
course).

PIP will probably do it, too, except since VMS V4, RSX has been a layered
product, and lots of people don't have it.

--Pat.